Old September 6, 2002, 20:26   #31
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 07:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sure it is. There's always the option not to wage aggressive war. Some people are either too stupid or too cowardly to take that option, though.
Old September 6, 2002, 20:29   #32
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 02:34
Bush seems to want to do Iran and N. Korea after Iraq. Gives pause.
Old September 6, 2002, 20:29   #33
David Floyd
Emperor

What a bastard.

Bush, I mean.
Old September 6, 2002, 20:40   #34
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:34
When I siad "our" choices, I mean us plebs, not us as a nation. Since Bush is a spineless moron doing whatever the Cheney-types tell him, and Congress is a a bunch of pineless morons whenever a Republican is in office, not going to war isn't gonna happen.

We had popular opinion against Bush Gulf War I, and a movement as big as the Vietnam anti-war movement in six months. Today the Pres is popular, has the backing of most of the American public (with some minor caveats), and a shattered left.

This war's going to happen. We can't stop it, though that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Occassionally democracy does actually win.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 6, 2002, 21:10   #35
Schinkenjoe
Chieftain

uhm you´re right
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	schild_doof.bmp
Views:	29
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	23755  
Old September 6, 2002, 22:20   #36
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"That would require the cooperation of Turkey, which is rather reluctant to give it."

they said they would if we forgave their debts...

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old September 6, 2002, 22:44   #37
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 23:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Prior to Saddamizing I, there were all sorts of reports about how the Abrams tank in particular had trouble operating in the softer, sandier environments inland in Saudi and how the reliability of the tank was abysmal due to air fowling, etc.

There was all sorts of crap floating around in the press about US FUBARs and inability to take on Saddam. All of it wrong. Both abysmal failures and successes would not likely get reported at all, and anything that did would likely be intended that the word get out.

The major problems this time around are logistical, not operational, but I wouldn't give reported events like this exercise any credence. The truth could conceivably be much worse, or much better, but you can just about guarantee whatever it is, ain't this.
Old September 6, 2002, 22:44   #38
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 15:34
That article, and how the brass behaved, is a blast.

Ironically, it improves my opinion of the US military by showing that some generals still have imagination, even if the guy is retired.

The weird thing is the Marine general was being innovative while the brass were conventional while proclaiming that they were being innovative.
Old September 6, 2002, 23:21   #39
David Floyd
Emperor

MtG, or anyone else who knows...

From what I have heard (and this is according to my International Relations prof who might or might not be a credible source), the US has the following forces available: 101st and 82nd Airborne, 10th Mountain, 49th Armored, and 28th, 35th, and 40th Infantry Divisions. If he is correct, the only formation listed that is armored or mechanized is the 49th Armored, and that is a National Guard formation. Of the others, the 10th is a light division suited to mountain warfare, the 82nd and 101st are specialized airborne/air assault units, and the other three are reserve infantry units.

This seems to indicate that the US will be fighting a less mobile war than in the first one, and thus will take more casualties.

On the other hand, my prof could be an idiot. My history one certainly is (he thinks Pearl Harbor was the first carrier attack on ships in port), as is my comparative politics one.
Old September 7, 2002, 00:18   #40
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 23:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
IIRC, the current active divisions (not counting reserve formations with division HQs) are:

US Army

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Inf. Div. (Mech)

1st Cavalry Div.

1st Armored Div.

10th Mtn. Div. (LI)

25th Inf. Div. (LI)

82nd Airborne Div.

101st Air Assault Div.

USMC:

1 MarDiv
2 MarDiv

Then some independent brigade and smaller units in both Army and Marines.

Mech Infantry divisions and the 1st Cav carry 5 line battalions of M-1 Abrams, IIRC, the 1st Armored carries an extra one. All carry 5 battalions of Mech Infantry, Engineer battalion, 3 battalions of arty, attack helo squadron, transport helo squadron, recon battalion, etc.

Reserve "divisions" are really just HQ units covering separate subordinate units which don't really train together - it's more tits on a bull stuff than anything else.

10th Mtn and 101st ABD have substantial assets commited in Afghanistan, 2nd Inf is commited in Korea, so major parts of them are out.

The reserve combat formations (as opposed to CS and CSS formations) aren't worth a ****, except perhaps as rear security and occupation forces.

25th is a light fighter outfit in Hawaii, they're jungle fighters, so not usefull in Iraq, although you might see things like their MP units and cav brigade (transport and attack helos) borrowed.

The mobility is there, the problem is that as you move deeper and deeper, the fuel requirements for those mobile formations are pretty huge, and they are grand prize targets. The advantage to attacking out of Saudi would be the huge amount of space in which you could build up and protect your main supply centers, and the flexibility you have in logistics. Attacking out of Kuwait is just the opposit - all your stuff is in a fairly small area, and traffic management, etc. is a *****.
Old September 7, 2002, 01:04   #41
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:34
This recieved alot of press about two weeks ago. The culmination was when Van Riper contacted the media and publicly said the excercise was rigged and had wasted $250 million. The pentigon called him "a disgruntled former general who's attacks were politically motivated". If he was eratic and politically motivated then why was he choicen to lead the opposition to begin with? Could it be that the Bushies are trying to cover up their own incompetence?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 7, 2002, 01:08   #42
David Floyd
Emperor

MtG, yeah, except I don't believe the 2nd Infantry is considered mechanized.

I was just reposting what my prof said, I didn't really believe him regarding those reserve divisions, but I didn't know if anyone had better info on that.

Oh, and I believe there's also a 3rd Marine Division (based in Okinawa, unless that changed in the past few years).
Old September 7, 2002, 01:12   #43
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:34
I agree that Iraq couldn't beat the U.S. but why waste $250 million on an excercise if you are just going to ignore the results of the excercise?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 7, 2002, 04:21   #44
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:34
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
IIRC, the current active divisions (not counting reserve formations with division HQs) are:

US Army

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Inf. Div. (Mech)

1st Cavalry Div.

1st Armored Div.

10th Mtn. Div. (LI)

25th Inf. Div. (LI)

82nd Airborne Div.

101st Air Assault Div.

USMC:

1 MarDiv
2 MarDiv

Then some independent brigade and smaller units in both Army and Marines.

Mech Infantry divisions and the 1st Cav carry 5 line battalions of M-1 Abrams, IIRC, the 1st Armored carries an extra one. All carry 5 battalions of Mech Infantry, Engineer battalion, 3 battalions of arty, attack helo squadron, transport helo squadron, recon battalion, etc.

Reserve "divisions" are really just HQ units covering separate subordinate units which don't really train together - it's more tits on a bull stuff than anything else.

10th Mtn and 101st ABD have substantial assets commited in Afghanistan, 2nd Inf is commited in Korea, so major parts of them are out.

The reserve combat formations (as opposed to CS and CSS formations) aren't worth a ****, except perhaps as rear security and occupation forces.

25th is a light fighter outfit in Hawaii, they're jungle fighters, so not usefull in Iraq, although you might see things like their MP units and cav brigade (transport and attack helos) borrowed.

The mobility is there, the problem is that as you move deeper and deeper, the fuel requirements for those mobile formations are pretty huge, and they are grand prize targets. The advantage to attacking out of Saudi would be the huge amount of space in which you could build up and protect your main supply centers, and the flexibility you have in logistics. Attacking out of Kuwait is just the opposit - all your stuff is in a fairly small area, and traffic management, etc. is a *****.
And by gutting the entire British Army you can have an extra armoured division with tanks that don't work for more than a day or so in the desert and with radios everyone can listen to
Old September 7, 2002, 07:37   #45
Thucydides
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Don't forget that 1st Infantry Division has a substantial portion of it's force deployed to the Balkans (and they will continue to be deployed until the middle of next year)
Old September 7, 2002, 10:02   #46
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 15:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I agree that Iraq couldn't beat the U.S. but why waste $250 million on an excercise if you are just going to ignore the results of the excercise?
My guess is that they wanted to practice command, control and communications on a large scale.
Old September 7, 2002, 10:22   #47
Lincoln
King

Sadam is like one of the people who rammed a planeload of people into the WTC. Why do people still think he can be reasoned with. Could you have talked one of the hijackers out of killing all of those people when he had the plane in his hands? Why do people never learn from history. Some people are just plane evil. Calling Bush a "spineless moron" is certainly helping Sadam in his efforts to deceive well meaning people by pretending that Bush is evil and he is good.

http://thescotsman.co.uk/index.cfm?id=994692002
Old September 7, 2002, 11:07   #48
Thucydides
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln
Sadam is like one of the people who rammed a planeload of people into the WTC. Why do people still think he can be reasoned with. Could you have talked one of the hijackers out of killing all of those people when he had the plane in his hands? Why do people never learn from history. Some people are just plane evil. Calling Bush a "spineless moron" is certainly helping Sadam in his efforts to deceive well meaning people by pretending that Bush is evil and he is good.

http://thescotsman.co.uk/index.cfm?id=994692002
Saddam has nothing in common with the people who blew up the WTC. The people who committed the act were matyring themselves to reach the holy land, basically sacrificing themselves for an action that they thought would reward them with an eternity with Allah.

Saddam is more of a Secularist. His only real interest is remaining in power as the leader of Iraq. Whoever he has to kill to do so he will do so. However, he would never sacrifice himself or his country for some higher goal, because he is the highest goal. He's a meglomaniac, which is almost the opposite of a suicide bomber. Saddam is evil, but evil in a semi-rational way that won't act against the interests of him staying in power. If that wasn't the case, he would have been ousted a long time ago.

Of course, that doesn't prevent people from trying to link the two, including Rumsfield. According to this article, the war against Iraq was planned at least a year ago.http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in520830.shtml
Old September 7, 2002, 11:52   #49
Lincoln
King

You miss the point. He is of the same mind set as those people. He cannot be reasoned with except by force.
Old September 7, 2002, 12:33   #50
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

It kinda looks like we better get in and out of Iraq or we are going to be vunerable.
Old September 7, 2002, 13:22   #51
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 08:34
Quote:
Saddam has nothing in common with the people who blew up the WTC.
Both male. Both never spoken to me.
Old September 7, 2002, 14:16   #52
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

The Guardian apparently does not know the difference between Iran (which was the red force in the war game) and Iraq.