Old September 8, 2002, 13:25   #31
XOR
Warlord

Local Time: 07:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Great Wall, to hold back mounted units from coming in trough land borders.
Old September 8, 2002, 14:49   #32
Dida
Prince

XOR, you idea about Great Wall is totally wrong. It not only stop mounted unit, but also foot soldiers from coming throgh. It also help transport troops alone the wall, from Eastern China to Western China rapidly. It also help the communication, (smoke during the day and fire at night). There are many points in building the Great Wall, and it did more than just stoping the mounted units from coming through.
For Sun Tsu, it is sure that the book is not complete. But you are completely wrong if you think you can get everything about war from a book that is 50 pages thick. (the english version could be slightly thicker). His strategy applies more than just to war making. Many Japanese business leader use it as guide in conductiing their business.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old September 16, 2002, 11:12   #33
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 09:35
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Great Wall.
Quote:
Originally posted by XOR

hi ,

how do I create farms on the editor?

how do I create advanced mines in the editor?

how do I make it so rairoads only change transportation and not the food and production?

how do I create airbases? (as tile improvement, like in Civ2)

how do I create trenches?

how do I make Paratroopers be able to airdrop from ANY city instead of needing airports?

how do I make bombers and paratrooper have a range of more than 8?

and how do I make the Great Wall prevent enemy mounted units from crossing trough land borders?

have a nice day
hi ,

stick around on this site and learn , ......

have a nice day
Old September 16, 2002, 14:05   #34
XOR
Warlord

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Great Wall.
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

stick around on this site and learn , ......

have a nice day
I am affraid the editor cannot do any of those things.
Old September 18, 2002, 04:49   #35
igloo_boy
Settler

I am in complete agreement with the arguement for making the manhattan project a small wonder.
Just because the knowledge of e=mc^2 is available to every country doesnt mean they can skip the costly development of nuclear weapons.
For exaple, look at the issue with Iraq right now. The US wants to invade Iraq and halt construction of the Iraqi "manhattan project" (Bagdad project?.)
I could see some interesting late game situations involving the denial of nuclear weapons to opponent civs, especially in PTW.
Old September 18, 2002, 08:05   #36
Martinus Magnificus
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:35
I totally agree about the effects of wonders being not realistic, but they are fun. With the Manhattan Project, however, I'm not satisfied. It should be small wonder, just like the intelligence agency. It would add a lot more strategy to the game. Also, the UN wonder should have more effects, like peacekeeping actions, agreements on the reduction of arms, pollution agreements, etc.
Old September 18, 2002, 22:57   #37
brianshapiro
Warlord

Local Time: 23:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
shouldnt the Internet be a small wonder , it looks as if it will be in the game as a large wonder. every nation can build an internet structure ; i guess the first has the great advantage though as it is
Old September 19, 2002, 00:07   #38
jkelly
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:35
Women's Suffrage (OT)
Quote:
What? The US was the first to allow women to vote. The rest came right after, but the rest did come and did allow women to vote.
Xor, this isn't accurate. New Zealand, in 1893, was the first country to give women the right to vote. It wasn't until 1920 that women got the vote in the US, two years after they got the vote in the United Kingdom and in Canada.

As an aside, you're not the only one who questions the continued relevancy of _The Art of War_, but, game-wise, it does only effect ground troops, as has been pointed out.
Old September 19, 2002, 17:56   #39
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 09:35
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Great Wall.
Quote:
Originally posted by XOR

I am affraid the editor cannot do any of those things.
hi ,

yes the editor can do some great things , .....

check on this site and you shall find more tools then a human has fingers , ........

the editor is going to be more enhanced in the short future , .....

there is a chat friday the 20/09 (1600 apo time)on this site , check it out , ....

have a nice day
Old September 20, 2002, 00:49   #40
Bolt
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:35
how do I create airbases?

Done in PTW

but the rest of the things in your list can't be done with the editor and latest patch (to my knowledge).
Old September 21, 2002, 00:13   #41
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 02:35
i dont think we should be worrying about realistic value of wonders when the pyramid provides free granary. The more realistic is always welcomed but there is a point to where it takes fun out of game and just gets plaining annoying to balance issues just to make realisitc. the point of game is kinda of provide at least a bit of alternate reality.

for all those realism fanatic... how fun would civ be if it was exactly like history? meaning if you chose romans your empire will fall by germanic barbarians ina predestined time. wouldnt be much of a game would it.

if i may add one thing about sun tzu. someone before got the idea right, sun tzu is not about war at specific time in specific location. so XOR is right that it doesnt apply in modern era. It doesnt apply to ancient wars, medieval, modern and future upcoming wars. its a general idea principle thats important and its you who read thats supposed to take the learning of the old and apply it. In fact sun tzu isn't even about war if u really think about it. For instance you can apply sun tzu to anything from range of chess, checkers, civ3, fight with your girlfriend, solving crime, and list is endless.

When I read sun tzu the foreword mentioned sun tzu's version of philosophy revised for business world.

Last edited by Zero; September 21, 2002 at 00:22.