Old September 6, 2002, 14:14   #1
Zabba149
Settler

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is Civ3 compatable with Windows XP ???
I just installed Windows XP on my computer after having CONSTANT difficulties with WindowsME....but now I CANT GET CIV3 TO WORK!! Is Civ3 totally not compatable with XP?? Is there something I can dl to fix this?? Will this issue be corrected with the release of PTW ? Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!!
Old September 6, 2002, 14:18   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 08:35
Re: Is Civ3 compatable with Windows XP ???
Quote:
Originally posted by Zabba149
I just installed Windows XP on my computer after having CONSTANT difficulties with WindowsME....but now I CANT GET CIV3 TO WORK!! Is Civ3 totally not compatable with XP?? Is there something I can dl to fix this?? Will this issue be corrected with the release of PTW ? Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!!
I have been running Civ3 under WinXP Pro for several months, no problems at all. The vanilla version (out of the tinbox), 1.07f, 1.17f, 1.27f, and 1.29f patches... everything worked. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video and sound card.
Old September 6, 2002, 14:18   #3
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 08:35
Well your troubles could be one of many things. I can assure you that Civ3 works well enough on WinXP.

What specifically won't work? It wont load/install? It crashes?...
Old September 6, 2002, 16:00   #4
Moonsinger
Warlord

Civ3 (right out of the box and all patches) works fine on my WinXP too.
Old September 6, 2002, 18:12   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:35
Me too. Virgin and patched each as they came out on XP PRO. I have since updated XP for all the latest got to have fixes and nothing broke. I would look at the devices. First video and then sound. Are they know to XP and did it have drivers? If you used driver provided are XP ones? All of my games work fine. I have an AMD and Radeon 8500, on board sound ASU7v333 or something like that.
Old September 6, 2002, 19:15   #6
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Civ has always worked fine with my xp. It did a have a few freezing problems way back when i first got it, but nothing since about January.
Old September 6, 2002, 19:50   #7
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 02:35
Well, I have xp, and Civ3 works fine, so I guess the answer to your query is "yes".

Perhaps you could give more details as to exactly what is wrong. "It won't work" is very vague.
Old September 6, 2002, 21:10   #8
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 23:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Give your system specs. Without that its really hard to give more than vague help.

Vague Help:

MAKE BLOODY SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST VIDEO DRIVERS FOR YOUR CARD. This is by the far the biggest problem except for people that are keeping it a secret that the real problem is a buggy mod they are trying to use.

People like to think they have the latest drivers. They often don't. With XP the drivers on the XP instalation disk are ALL basicaly prelimnary.

Get the 1.29F patch and install it. If you are using the origninal unpatched version of the game there were a few bugs with XP and early G-force drivers for XP.

Uninstall Civ III delete the whole folder and then reinstall, then install the 1.29f patch. You could have some corrupted files and this will take care of that. You may want to copy any saves you may have to a safe place first.

Since you have XP you should allready have Direct X 8.1 but others may not .

Update your sound card drivers. This only ocassionaly a problem.

If you have an AMD chip you may need to update your motherboard drivers but the ones on the XP installation disk are apparently pretty effective.

Check your video cards refresh rate setting. You may need to a line or two to the Civ III. .INI file to make coorperate.

You may simply have an old CD drive. Civ III uses Safedisk II for copy protection and it does not suffer old drives gladly.

---------------------------------

Thats enough generic crap for now.

ALLWAYS give a LOT more information than you did when asking for help. All we know is that you have XP and that is not enough.
Old September 7, 2002, 00:47   #9
Zabba149
Settler

First of all, thank you to everyone for your helpful comments!!!

Second, where would I go to get updated drivers for my video/sound cards?

Thank you again for any asisstance!
Old September 7, 2002, 00:59   #10
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 23:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
To quote myself.

Quote:
Give your system specs. Without that its really hard to give more than vague help.
There isn't even vague help for that question without specs. Its a waste of time to even attempt it.

ALWAYS GIVE YOUR SPECS WHEN THERE IS A TECHNICAL PROBLEM
Old September 7, 2002, 13:57   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Video cards should have a link to their home page. Go there and go to support or patched drivers section and find your device. If no link search for the manufacture with Goggle or something.
Old September 7, 2002, 20:40   #12
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 02:35
Quote:

Some information may be corrupt, I suggest uninstall and reinstall the game, then install each patch in crono order.

I upgraded from Win98SE to XP Pro. You didn't really have to upgrade to XP, Win98SE is far more stable then ME, but that is your choice.
Old September 8, 2002, 00:25   #13
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
Quote:
It's probably because you originally installed it under another OS. I ran into a problem myself when I switched to XP. I had to uninstall/reinstall the game, and update my video drivers before it would work. But I've had no problems since then.
Old September 9, 2002, 08:00   #14
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 04:35
No problems at all. XP Home. I have not installed the latest patch yet, though. I'm trying to finish up a game I started months ago but I just can't find time to play civ3.
Old September 9, 2002, 09:37   #15
Alantus
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
If you have an AMD chip you may need to update your motherboard drivers but the ones on the XP installation disk are apparently pretty effective.
I ran into a problem with XP and AMD chip. I had some trouble installing games, I downloaded ALL the Windows updates, not just the critical ones, and it cleared up the problem.

Just a thought,

Alantus
Old September 9, 2002, 11:34   #16
Zabba149
Settler

i reinstalled the game and the latest patch and it works fine now! thank you to everyone for all your helpful suggestions!!