Emperor

Local Time: 09:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Stop that! Stop playing this game!
Go back to civ2 at once!
Old September 6, 2002, 18:17   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
Are you talking to yourself?
Old September 6, 2002, 18:29   #3
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Kind of.
I had a look on civ3 section and noticed it is busier than civ2... Well, I'm just anxious that civ3 may cause civ2 world to perish. And that would be a sad thing... All those great scenarios... All this history of getting better and better
in scn construction by all civ2 heroes... And it may be all gone. Silent sorrow in empty boats and stuff.

Is your mod after Vondrackova?
Old September 6, 2002, 18:36   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:36
It should go away as it was way too easy and predicatable. Yes I thought it was the second best game ever, but that was a long time ago.
Old September 6, 2002, 19:09   #5
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Heresson
Is your mod after Vondrackova?
Nope, after my real name (Vondracek, which is BTW the masculine for Vondrackova, the singeress - but we are not relatives). The nick goes long into my past... vondrack@something was the first email address I had back in my college years. Limited to just 8 characters at that time... nowadays, vondrack is weird enough to be always available, so I stick to it...
Old September 6, 2002, 19:22   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 02:36
Civ2 was great for its time, however that time has now passed.

I don't think I could ever go back to civ2 after playing civ3, just such a vast improvement in every aspect of the game.
Old September 6, 2002, 19:26   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 07:36
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
Civ2 was great for its time, however that time has now passed.

I don't think I could ever go back to civ2 after playing civ3, just such a vast improvement in every aspect of the game.
Except for combat.

I mainly play SMAC because IMO, its far ahead of both Civ2 and Civ3.
Old September 6, 2002, 19:42   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Except for combat.

I mainly play SMAC because IMO, its far ahead of both Civ2 and Civ3.
I don't see what the big deal is with Civ2's combat system.

In Civ3, I rarely have results that shock me, if that's what you're referring to, the tank killer spearmen?

but. in Civ2- howitzers. I don't think I need to say anything else about Civ2's combat system.

civ2 (and SMAC): Air power is too unbalanced, too powerful. now the airforce is complimentary, which is more realistic, IMHO.

SMAC certainly has its nice points, UN, SE, etc, but I would take the resource/culture/trade improvements any day over them.
Old September 6, 2002, 19:45   #9
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Civ2's combat system was just massively unbalanced and unfair. If Civ2 had the intelligence of Civ3's AI, you would never win because the "era gap" between units was so broad. If you were behind in tech, you had no chance of winning.
Old September 7, 2002, 06:47   #10
Heresson
Emperor

It's not about the game, it's about scenarios...
It's hungreds of hours of work of Haertels, Hoefelts,
Jeszenkas, Balsindes, Mu?ozes etc.
And its worth to remember about that.
I don't have anything against civ3 as long as upgrading scns
from civ2 to it shall be possible.

Vondrack, I know that Vondrackova is a feminine for Vondrack. We have the same in Polish,
just we don't use it unless we wish to say that Vondrackova is married, wife of Vondracek.
Old September 7, 2002, 08:38   #11
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 07:36
Hey Heresson i admit that civ2 was the best civgame ever.

It is better than civ3 in many respects.

But today it just seems.. obsolete.

I occasionally play a couple of games though and have made some pretty good scenarios for it (Imperial rome, 1821, 1922, WWII, Dune, etc) with cool graphics(espesially Rome, Dune and 1821).

Unfortunately i have lost them all due to some hard drive malfuction and i had to replace it loosing all the data.....
Old September 7, 2002, 09:47   #12
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

heresson: the sooner people change to civ3 the sooner there will be the same (and better) scenarios for civ3.

civ2 was fun - but it's just too old. most of my favorite games (history line 1914-1918, battle isle 2, colonization, etc.) just can't be played anymore... after screen resolutions of 1600x1200, MCGA (320x200) basicly sucks
Old September 7, 2002, 10:13   #13
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Re: Stop that! Stop playing this game!
Quote:
Go back to civ2 at once!
Only a few games becomes real classics...and among those games, Civ2 isn't there. And if an old game, isn't a classic, then it's just a waste of time going back to it... Civ3 wont become a classic game either, but it's not obsolate...yet
Old September 7, 2002, 11:33   #14
Heresson
Emperor

Why do You think that civ2 isn't a classic? Of course it is!!
Any game that I play...
Sabrewolf has some right. But even if there'll be a possibility of making civ3 scns, some unique sollutions shall be lost, as
some of them were based on bugs... And there is still so much to do... Civ2 scenarios were evoluating, from silly scns of large numbers to rare, but highly complicated and modified games, I'd call the games rather than scenarios.
I think that yet, civ2 offers the widest oportunities for altering it of all games. Civ2 isn't only a game, it's a gate
to many many beautiful games. OK, surely oneday there'll be
scenarios for civ3 and I don't doubt they'll be good, perhaps
even as good as some civ2 scns... But I don't mean that there won't be good scns. I mean that if people forget about
civ2, they loose the unique possibility of playing old scns.
I have a vision. No-one plays civ2 anymore... Civ2 is in 'classic games" subforum where only from time to time grey-bearded Heresson puts some flowers and a candle.
Winds are blowing over the dead links to places that once were civ2 sites... So hard to light the match....
And it's all your fault!

A shame that your scns were lost, Palaiologos.

But seriously, why do You consider civ2 obsolete?
As a game, yes, I guess it is, but as long as Firaxis didn't
research "civ3 scn" tech yet, You can't replace civ2scns
with any new units.
Old September 7, 2002, 12:34   #15
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think that yet, civ2 offers the widest oportunities for altering it of all games.
I disagree here, even in its current state Civ3 offers more oportunities to alter the game via the editor. But of course these oportunities are limited in comparision to CTP2, it has scenarios all the text files are open, you can even modify the user interface in a limited way, you have slic that allows you to change the rhules even more radical as it will be ever possible in Civ3. (Actual if I remember correctly there was something like this in Civ2 but very limited, maybe you aren't totally wrong here.)

Quote:
But I don't mean that there won't be good scns. I mean that if people forget about civ2, they loose the unique possibility of playing old scns.
Therefore you still have a copy of Civ2.

Quote:
But seriously, why do You consider civ2 obsolete?
As a game, yes, I guess it is, but as long as Firaxis didn't
research "civ3 scn" tech yet, You can't replace civ2scns
with any new units.
Actual it would be very difficuilt to convert Civ2 scenarios from to Civ3 or to CTP2. For instance you need new graphics even Civ3 uses only 8bit graphics (actual for units the case is not so simple), you have to size Civ2 units up and fix their look, but that means actual to redraw them. You have to remake the map or at least fix it if you can convert it from Civ2.

Of course if you want to remind people to go back to Civ2 and don't forget its possibilities and the good recalls, then it is ok, but you can't force them. And actual when I remember why I quit Civ2, then my answer would be a plain no, I moved to many units over the map. (But that would actual not too much happen in a scenario.)

-Martin
Old September 7, 2002, 13:05   #16
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Why do You think that civ2 isn't a classic? Of course it is!!
For it to be a classic, it has to have soemthing completely new, or be very advanced compared to the original game... Civ2 fails both, since it wasn't something new, and it didn't have that much compared to Civ1 (for that time)... Basicly it was almost just a update in graphics...sure, they had some new things in it, but not that much... And in some areas it was behind Civ1... That's why it's not a classic...
Old September 7, 2002, 14:27   #17
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:36
Wow I am glad to see so many switched to civ3. I expected to be slammed for my post. I agree with ADG. It will be an all time favorite and I may play a game every great once in awhile, but when I am in the mood for civ, it will be Civ3.