Old September 6, 2002, 19:03   #1
Destroyer
Prince

Local Time: 07:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Stars!
SOrry, but I cant find anywhere else on the web to answer this.

Ive got a copy of Stars I bought ages ago, but I cant play it cause you need a bit of paper with the reg. no. on it. Because the whole genre hasnt moved on much since 1996, they think they can still make money from this game, and it will cost me a fiver to gain a new code. Where can I get a code from without parting with cash?
Old September 7, 2002, 12:40   #2
Sandman
King

Local Time: 08:36
Try "EPGX2R1F".

If you want, phone up the company (Empire Interactive) on 020 8343 9143 and ask for the above code.
Old September 7, 2002, 13:48   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:36
Try rec.games.computer.stars, they have threads on that issue. Go to www.strasfaq.com and check it out. I know that topic was talked about. I seem to recall installing on one of my my boxes and not needing that code. I had the two cd version. It is a great game and I suspect it could be posted online for a download at a small fee. The whole directory is 6mb.
Old September 7, 2002, 16:57   #4
Destroyer
Prince

Yeah, I got the 2cd internet edition. I remember when i 1st bought it i played it for a couple of minutes before scrapping. I didnt have the patience back then to read the weithy manual. And I had only just bought MOO2, which was very accessable by comparison.

Can only find one of the cds though. Can work out why there was two cds, when it says the game does a check to the reg no.Not a cd check.

Thank for the help.

Ill probably give up again after 5 minutes, but still...
Old September 7, 2002, 17:00   #5
Destroyer
Prince

Empire Interactive? Do they still exist? The websites listed with the game were all dead. Still, the code works anyway. Thanks
Old September 8, 2002, 12:12   #6
vmxa1
Deity

www.crisium.com get the last patch and down load the strat guide. Look at the monster races and setups.
Old September 9, 2002, 19:10   #7
Destroyer
Prince

Hmmm, this game could be awesome with a better interface. Its so well detailed and thought out, but the mechanics could be far too complicated for the average gamer (I mean, terraforming on 3 levels, thats cool!).

Im quite positive moo3 will be shite, the combat looks like a smaller version of BOTF. I love the chunky looking wierdo ships from moo2, with the indivdual types of weapons. And the noise 99x continuous heavy plasma cannons make. Uhhhhhhhhh

Still you never know..
Old September 9, 2002, 21:14   #8
Sandman
King

Just hang in there, you'll probably get the hang off it soon enough. The small blue diamonds scattered about the interface give handy shortcuts and stuff.
Old September 10, 2002, 14:06   #9
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 02:36
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
www.crisium.com get the last patch and down load the strat guide. Look at the monster races and setups.
Thanks for the link. Thier stategy guide is proving to be very useful. Since I got my copy from an abandonware site, does anyone know where to find a manual? dl?

Oh and nice avatar VMXA1
Old September 10, 2002, 16:54   #10
vmxa1
Deity

Thanks, don't know about the manual, it is very extensive. The newsgroup or the fan site can anwser all your questions, I would think. The interface is very simple after awhile, it is nothing but spread sheets and windows. They fit well in a 19" or 21", lower sizes make you minimize some things. Watch out for flying packets. Get mines up ASAP.
Old September 10, 2002, 16:58   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Oh, if you want to have saves you need to find the windows.ini file and add Backups=xx
Old September 20, 2002, 13:36   #12
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 09:36
I only have a OneCd version
but the Box is really strange on the Backside it has some Pictures which seem to be Ascendancy and not Stars at all..
Old September 20, 2002, 20:15   #13
vmxa1
Deity

Well what does the CD say Stars or Ascendancy. I play both.
The first time I bought it it was a one cd game. Empire came out with the two player version.
Old September 23, 2002, 16:40   #14
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Thanks, don't know about the manual, it is very extensive. The newsgroup or the fan site can anwser all your questions, I would think. The interface is very simple after awhile, it is nothing but spread sheets and windows. They fit well in a 19" or 21", lower sizes make you minimize some things. Watch out for flying packets. Get mines up ASAP.
How do I???

Handle packets...lost a couple of planets already.
Can I catch them with a transport....doesn't seem to work all the time? I'll never have time to build a flinger that will catch them.
Old September 26, 2002, 12:34   #15
Stormhound
Prince

I seem to recall that if you can get a freighter to rendezvous with an incoming packet, you can plunder the packet and either reduce or eliminate the damage. It isn't easy, but it's possible.

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew
Old September 26, 2002, 18:33   #16
Sandman
King

Packets:

Build planetary defenses.

Build the best packet flinger you can, even a substandard one will reduce the damage.

Attack the opposing starbase.

'Dodge' the attack by moving your entire population into freighters and recolonising the planet.
Old September 27, 2002, 02:06   #17
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 00:36
Yeah, that's one of the things I didn't like about the game. Ships immediately slow to speed 1 when fuel is exhausted, but packets can somehow "coast" at speeds faster than powered ships of equivalent tech level. Much less the accuracy required to hit a tiny target from light-years away with an unguided mass.

I might've enjoyed it enough to buy it if it hadn't been for that.
Old September 27, 2002, 07:39   #18
MariOne
King

So you mean that this single inconsistence in the physics of an otherwise extremely complex game was enough for you to decide to dump the game along with the other 99 good things it has?

How they say, your mileage may vary, but then MY mileage is that this is a very weird reaction...

It's been at least a couple of years since I last played some Stars!
IIRC, travel was FTL, and the speeds were Warp1, 2, 3, etc...
If that is true, it could make sense that without some sci-fi quirk engine, a body will "naturally" slow down to the light-speed limit at most...

Regarding Mass Packets, I can't recall whether the design simulated some form of wave/beam that had to be kept projected fromn the launching planet to keep the Packet's speed...

I know, Stars! model could induce you to think that it was a partially realistic representation of Astrophysics, and thus to also "expect" some consistence, but as a mater of fact it is far from that.
Think for instance of Gates, which "scientific" consistence could you find in it? Yet, it was a fantasy sci-fi option, adding an interesting alternative for your tactical and even strategical playing choices...
Old September 30, 2002, 15:28   #19
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Just started my first game at the hardest level on the biggest universe. I've noticed that the tutorial advocates the use of mines, but I have not used them much myself. Aside from packets, I have not even been bothered by the AI, but like I said, this is the first on the hardest level.

I have noticed that building a lot of light beamers with scoops early on helps keep the borders clear of the enemy colony ships. These especially help against the Alternate reality race with their autobombing colony ships. They help defend my starter colonies and take out theirs.
Old October 8, 2002, 21:43   #20
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 19:36
When's the sequel?
I'm still waiting on the sequel to come out - Supernova Genesis!.

I'm still waiting on Galactic Civlizations and MOO3 as well.

As regards to packets, you could look at it that as unmanned flight, thus it doesn't have any real weight to slow it down?

RPMisCOOL, On a big universe, it may take a bit before you start to eno****er other races; that is why so far you have not been attacked. They may not have discovered you yet.
Old October 9, 2002, 09:48   #21
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

The only thing that the AI is doing to me is hitting me with packets (big ones that take out my colonies). Other than that, they have no nasty fleets or any bombers that I've been able to see.

Prolly should have played those harder games a little further, but I pretty much had the whole universe mapped, and there wasn't much of a challenge.

I already defeated the alternate reality race quite easily with a few armed scouts and a smallish missle fleet of cruisers.

Anyhow, I too am waiting for MoO3, and Galactic Civilizations.

BTW the sequel is dead (Supernova Genesis).
Which is reallt a shame.
Old October 9, 2002, 18:07   #22
Sandman
King

Most of the standard AI races are pretty weak, but one, the Hyper Expansion one, is almost impossible to kill if you don't nip them in the bud.
Old October 14, 2002, 07:14   #23
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

try Playing AR instead
No Planetary Defenses to save you. Protect the Starbase or loose the Planet- Thats simple Gameplay :=)

//whew 5 Errors in 2 Sentences

Last edited by Main_Brain; October 23, 2002 at 08:29.