View Poll Results: Regions
Yes, I like 21 80.77%
No, this sucks 1 3.85%
No, not this way 1 3.85%
Abstain, just want to see the results w/o voting 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 7, 2002, 13:37   #1
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 03:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Formalizing the regions, along with the role of the "deputies".
OK. I have been promising this for a while, and now that it appears the system is up and running fairly smooth, I am now posting my ideas regarding the regions, how they are run, etc.

I am setting this up as a poll, with 4 options:

Yes, I like the way you describe it, and agree it should be a part of our code of laws.

No, this sucks. I think regions are a bad idea. Don't need them, don't want them.

Not this way. I see how regions can be usefull, but this needs to be worked out better. I will post my ideas below.

Abstain. I don't care about this issue. All I wanted is to see how the poll is turning out. By clicking here, I agree that my vote will not count for or against this.

The yes option needs to have more votes than the two no options combined to pass. It will then be considered a part of the code of laws.

------------------------------------------------

So, just what are we voting on?

Regions: A region is an area, roughly based upon the geography of the land, and composed of several cities. The City Planner assignes various cities into regions. Once assigned, a city can only change regions by a vote of the people. (A good example of this is the city Timeline. By looking at the maps, it would probably best be in region 1, Mingapulco, and not region 2, Pina Colada. When I assigned the regions innitially, I was more conserned with balance with current production, figuring the war with france would now be over and that we would have several American cities being added to Pina Colada. Oops.)

Regional Administrators: A person who volunteers to help the City Planner may be assigned by the City Planner to Administer a region. One such person may, at the will of the City Planner, act as an official deputy in case the City Planner is not available and a decision needs to be made. The City Planner must state publicly that So and So is my deputy. The volunteer can name his position (i.e. Viceroy of Pina Colada Provence). If this is a new regoin, the person can solicit from the public for a name of the region. These people help the City Planner in organizing the cities within their area, particularly in regards to production and optimal worker placement. However, their most important duty is to help in role playing. The City Planner may have as many or as few assistants as volunteer and as the City Planner may like. If the number of volunteers exceeds the number of regions, the City Planner may assign people to act as "Mayor" or other such appropriate title to a specific city. The City Planner may elect to not use any assistants at his discretion.

The City Planner is the elected position, and as such has full and final authority over any and all orders which fall under his purview. Therefor, any assistants should PM, Email, or other appropriate means, communicate their ideas and requests to the City Planner with sufficient time for the City Planner to compile them into a single post for the President/Vice President to use when playing the game (this assumes the President or VP have objections to multiple posts, which may or may not have been reviewed by the elected official). Volunteers should realize that as the City Planner has the responsibility, he may change and overide any such requests made to him. Also, the City Planner reserves the rights to remove a volunteer from this semi-official position at whim. The volunteer has whatever authority the City Planner deligates into the position. I would advise future City Planners to have all region orders go thru them prior to posting as they are the one responsible.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 7, 2002, 13:39   #2
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Oops, forgot to note, expires in 5 days.

--Con
Old September 7, 2002, 13:48   #3
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:37
It's a good plan .

I've no objections to what's up there. It's pretty close to what we have now, which works, and also gives lots of power to the City Planner to set things up the way he/she wants.

-- adaMada
Old September 7, 2002, 17:17   #4
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:37
Good plan, GodKing. I support it. Could you post a list of the regions with the cities of each one? I need this info to prepare the correspondent maps.
Thanks in advance.
Old September 7, 2002, 17:23   #5
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Aro, check the Term Three Government/Directory Thread, it's got lists of cities in each region in the City Planning section.

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=59225

-- adaMada
Old September 7, 2002, 17:36   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:37
Quote:
City Planner: GodKing Deputies: OPD , jdjdjd , Rendelnep

OPD will be managing region #1, which will include the following cities:
Name the Region (suggestions)
Termina
Apolyton
Tassagrad
BHQ
chartres (occupied)
orleans (occupied)
rheims (occupied)
When did the French take back Port Rouge (Orleans)?

Oh, and I'd be available as a Regional Deputy for Mingapulco if OPD wins the presidency, or the Island, or New Persia......................
Old September 7, 2002, 17:37   #7
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

sounds good. but one question, i dunno if you ansered it or not. how or the depurty's selected, i am asuming by normal election.
Old September 7, 2002, 17:38   #8
adaMada
King

Trickey: Deputies are, by nature, appointed. The point of this ammendment is to give hte CP the maximum flexability in how he runs his office.

GF: I think that list may be a bit out of date re: the occupied entries.

-- adaMada
Old September 7, 2002, 17:40   #9
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

By the way, I suggest that instead of regions, we adopt the term: Provinces.

The governor of a province will be 'The Provincial Governor'.

If the government wills it, I too shall put forward my name for a post somewhere as a Provincial Governor.
Old September 7, 2002, 18:07   #10
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

. Formalizing it is a waste of time and creates unnecesary rigidity.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old September 7, 2002, 19:32   #11
GodKing
Emperor

The List is a little out of date. Sorry. I will talk to unortho when he returns to see if he intends on keeping up the directory. If so, I will see if we can update it.

The deputies are appointed. If they were elected, two people with radical differences could be causing friction instead of working together.

I was leaving the term region in as it is fairly generic. If, for example, the person wanted to be called "Governor", it might be the "state of mingapulco", however, if someone wanted to use "Prince" then it would be the "Principality of Mingapulco". However it works out, I wanted it to be generic for roll play so that it isn't terribly rigid and formalized.

civman2k; I think the people needed to decide if they want the regions, provinces, states, whatever. I tried to make this as flexible as possible, while still allowing the elected official to have responsibility and the power to do the job. However, if the people feel that they do not like this, then let it go away. That is why I am trying to formalize this. When you read it, it states that the CP can either use none, some or all of it at their discretion. How is that being too rigid?

--Con
Old September 7, 2002, 20:21   #12
Reddawg
Prince

Godking, the regions are one of the best ideas I've ever seen in the C3DG, I love it. And I think as Apolyton grows it will take on more and more important... I'm all for it, especially since you outlined that all deputies report to the City Planner (thus avoiding too much decentralization!)... it's awesome. Besides, one of my favorite parts of the statistics is the regional comparisons!
Old September 8, 2002, 01:35   #13
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:37
Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
Aro, check the Term Three Government/Directory Thread, it's got lists of cities in each region in the City Planning section.

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=59225

-- adaMada
Thanks, adaMada.
Old September 8, 2002, 10:47   #14
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

APOLYTONIA GLORIANUS
Here's my Proposal...

1) That the regions that are to be divided as 'provinces' be managed by a 'provincial governor', who makes the lesser decisions, but answers to the President and government leaders.

2) That the provincial governor must not simply seek to enhance culture in the region through his constructions and improvements, but also attempt to make the region more profitable to the nation as a whole.

3) That the provincial governor must raise a standing army of at least four units to protect the borders of his province from invasion, or to lend assistance in case of further imperial expansion.

4) That the provinces be assigned titles thus:
Apolytonian heartland = The Province of Magnus Apolytonia
Apolytonian jungle area = The Province of Apolytonia Minor
American colonies = The Province of Apolytonia Americanus
French colonies = The Province of Gaul
Persian colonies = The Province of Asia
Northern areas (near Germany) = The Province of Germania

Any more proposals to be added on? Is this satisfactory?
Old September 8, 2002, 11:02   #15
Reddawg
Prince

History Guy, I really really really like your proposal b/c it's very aesthetically pleasing (role playing wise) and yet functional as well. But since it's already been decided what most of the region names are I think everyone would be unwilling to rename and rearrange the provinces now...
Old September 8, 2002, 11:07   #16
adaMada
King

History Guy,

The beauty of GodKing's proposal is that it's very flexiable. If you are elected City Planner, and you want to play with those rules (such as each gov. must rase a standing army and calling them 'provincial governor') then you can. On the other hand, If I'm elected City Planner, and I want to do everything myself, I can do that too. (Just an example -- I quite like the Govs system, and have no desire to be City Planner ). This way, things are totally flexable -- a city planner can have one person take on one provence and do the rest himself, assign them all out as GodKing as done, or even assign all but one and do that one himself. Flexability . .

-- adaMada
Old September 8, 2002, 11:12   #17
History Guy
King

Well, perhaps, but I think that a standing army is necessary, and if overlooked could prove disastrous in years to come.
Old September 8, 2002, 11:17   #18
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Yes, I agree that NOT formalizing allows more flexibility. And I propose we let the city planner determine the regions/names if they want to name the regions are delegate their naming to the regional administrators so be it. (History Guy may run for city planner just to name all the regions. )

This versitility should be quite useful as we get closer to the Modern Age and more and more cities require more decisions.
Old September 8, 2002, 11:19   #19
adaMada
King

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Well, perhaps, but I think that a standing army is necessary, and if overlooked could prove disastrous in years to come.
Oh, I agree, and I think that the standing army's a very good idea (one I wish I'd thought of myself, in fact).

But this amendment is designed to give power, not take it away. If you mandate a standing army, then the CP will not be able to adapt. For instance, we probably won't have much military on Uber Isle till it's colonized, at which point we'll start working on the Military side of things.

Having said that, I do recommend that each CP does use the Standing Army that History Guy proposed, and I promise to bug the next CP to try to have it in affect in at least most of our provinces by the end of next term .

-- adaMada
Old September 8, 2002, 11:22   #20
History Guy
King

Mr. Farb, you bring up something that seems to me a very attractive idea...city planner, eh? Hah hah hah...

Vice-Minister, thank you indeed. I think that this standing army is necessary. We wouldn't want to be caught with a group of swordsmen breaking into our provinces in a surprise attack when all we have got are a group of spearmen, one in each city. For that reason and others, I think that a standing army is necessary.
Old September 8, 2002, 13:19   #21
caesarqbear
Chieftain

The problem with not formalizing is that it becomes hard to make a map of the regions/provinces. Plus, if different names and terminology and thrown around, everyone will get confussed
I think we need a little formalization. Besides, what are governments for if not to gerrymander!
Old September 8, 2002, 13:24   #22
adaMada
King

Yea, I'm not propsing we change the names for each cityplanner -- I'd like it if they stayed what they are now, or at least didn't change more than once per Era -- but I think that some things should remain fluid.

For roleplaying purposes, though, it wouldn't be bad if one common name was decided on for the govs and provs. I wouldn't have any objection to it, anyway...

-- adaMada
Old September 10, 2002, 15:25   #23
adaMada
King

*bump*

A day or two left to go...

-- adaMada
Old September 10, 2002, 17:35   #24
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Make titles reflect government style
Make the regional area titles reflect the style of government that is currently in place.

i.e.
Despotism - Region (or some other more approprate word)
Monarcy - Provences (sp?)
Republic - ??
Democracy - State
Communism - Protectorate

They should be different to help differncate between the eras. The Govenor's title would also reflect the area's title type, i.e. Protectorate General for the regional govenor while under a communistic regime

What do you think?
Old September 10, 2002, 23:26   #25
adaMada
King

Re: Make titles reflect government style
Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
Make the regional area titles reflect the style of government that is currently in place.

i.e.
Despotism - Region (or some other more approprate word)
Monarcy - Provences (sp?)
Republic - ??
Democracy - State
Communism - Protectorate

They should be different to help differncate between the eras. The Govenor's title would also reflect the area's title type, i.e. Protectorate General for the regional govenor while under a communistic regime

What do you think?
Wouldn't be a bad idea at all for roleplaying purposes.

I'd suggest that the next City Planner decide on a naming scheme, and that that scheme be basically kept for the time being.

-- adaMada
Old September 11, 2002, 21:29   #26
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

One change to your suggestion for calling them by different names under different governmnets:
Communism: SSR

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old September 12, 2002, 12:25   #27
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 08:37
The idea of having governors is good in general, but I criticize the way they were implemented in the just ending term (without a poll or public discussion, just as despotic decision).

As for the names of the provinces, Godkings are ok. As for Republic, I would take the term "Province" here as well, why should not both Monarchy and Republic have provinces? IIRC the Romans called their conquered territories also provinces.

Civman2000, there have been more communist states than only the USSR.
Old September 12, 2002, 18:04   #28
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
The idea of having governors is good in general, but I criticize the way they were implemented in the just ending term (without a poll or public discussion, just as despotic decision).
Well, we were in Despotism..............

BTW, all this talk of deputies and I still don't know who the Sheriff is???

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; September 12, 2002 at 18:22.
Old September 13, 2002, 08:11   #29
Reddawg
Prince

Something I thought of regarding all this, that I think would be sort of important to have, is an order of prestige or precidence within the regions. Obviously Mingapulco and it's governor come first, and at this point I believe Île de France would come last. It could be determined either by the age of the province or the size of it, but it would be used functionally to determine right of succesion with the administration.