Old September 7, 2002, 20:12   #1
Mr. Schwang
Settler

Local Time: 07:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Editor: Changes and Additions
This is a list of some of the things I personally would like added/changed in the Editor.

- Increase possible maximum Bombard Range to 50.
- The possible maximum range for Radar Towers in PTW should be no less than 6.
- Ability to link City Improvements and Units. (i.e. X unit requires X city improvement to be built)
- Ability to edit Great/Small wonder's properties. (i.e. Change Wall Street's affect from 5% interest to 10%)
- Add/Delete button for World Sizes.
- Add/Delete button for Experience Levels.
- Add option for happy/unhappy affects for each government type. (i.e. Monarchy = +1 happy citizen in each city, Communism = +1 unhappy citizen in each city, etc.)
- Ability to edit award-amount for destroying a barbarian camp.
- Ability to edit years/turn increments. (maximum of 100 years per turn, minimum of 1 month per turn)
- Ability to edit when change takes place in years/turn increments. (i.e. Ancient Era = 50 years/turn, Medieval Era = 30 years/turn, etc.)
- Ability to edit percentage of chance of Great Leader appearing. (This would be calculated with: if the civilization was militaristic or not)
- Ability to edit properties of Golden Age. (i.e. change scientific research bonus from 25% to 50%, etc.)
- Add option for attack/defense bonus for each experience level.
- (this one doesn't have to do with the editor) change Manhatten Project from Great Wonder to Small Wonder.
- Ability to edit personal profile of Civ. Leaders. The options would include:
Reputation among his own civ. population.
Reputation among foreign Civ. Leaders.
Aggression toward other civ. leaders (this would replace Aggression Level on the Civilizations Page)
Kindness towards a specific civilization.
aggression towards a specific civilization.
- Ability to edit reputational affects for the following:
nuclear attack
declaration of war
violation of foreign borders
espionage
aggression/mercy towards another civ during wartime
- Ability to edit Nuclear Weapon properties. Including:
Radius of Explosion = ____(#) squares (max of 5)
Destroy ____(#) units within radius. (or select: ALL Units)
Destroy ____(#) random City Improvements within radius. (or select: ALL Improvements)
Destroy Great/Small Wonders? (yes/no option)
Destroy ____(#) random Terrain Improvements within radius. (or select: ALL Terrain Improvements)
Destroy friendly units/city improvements/terrain improvements within radius? (yes/no option)

Feel free to add any of your own suggestions below.
Old September 7, 2002, 23:50   #2
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 04:08
ability to allow several governments to build a certain buildings, rather than limit it to one only, the same with units (could be a lot like where you pick which civs get a unit, you can pick which governments get it as well).

there shouldn't be any real maximum bombardment, just something like 99.

you should be able to make turns anything, from hours, days, weeks, months, years. It doesn't REALLY matter, since the 'date' is really only cosmetic.
Old September 8, 2002, 00:15   #3
Blue Moose
Warlord

Local Time: 02:38
Edit speed of combat resolution (so that if you increase unit hitpoints you don't have to deal with really long combats).

Edit hitpoints added when a unit is promoted (so that if you have units with a based of 10 hitpoints, they can have 2 or 3 hitpoints added for each promotion). Or perhaps an option for a percent increase of hitpoints.

More detailed corruption editing for governments. At least two corruption types (capital centered and communal) with the ability to edit the constants associated with those types.

Editing of how many shields a *particular* government gets per citizen with forced labor.

Add fields for government and improvements to increase food, shield, or trade production from each square/each square already producing that resource by X amount.

Allow each improvement option a number field X, so the improvement can be X times as effective as normal. So you could have a tax increasing improvement that grants a +100% tax increase.

Allow government specific units. Also, if you government specific improvements are not destroyed or rendered ineffective when in a different government, change this so it is like this (and government specific units are destroyed when when switching your gov).

Give a new tab just for setting up barbarians. Allow changing the number of different possible barbarian units, and editable fields for when they can appear and how (including pirate barbarians coming out of nowhere). Allow the option to make nationless appearing units to be indistinguishable from barbarians (and if ground units, they can't take cities, but they can 'sack' them instead, giving gold to the owning civ).

Make it so the game can have up to 256 civilizations...and if the number gets very, very high, then a scroll bar will appear in the civ selection screen. This should satisfy anyone that wants to add a civ.

Make a checkbox for units "can be destroyed by non-lethal bombardment."

For airdrop units, have option so that they can be airdropped from any city (unit specific, so you can have some that can only be airdropped from airport cities, others from any city). If not done already, allow airdroppable units to be airdropped from airbases (which are in PTW).

Allow the options for Civ2 style ZOC, or at least a ZOC that forces combat with the units in the fort if you attempt to pass. A warning can appear asking if the moving player is sure he wants to move.

Add a unit field. "Unit becomes obsolete"...for non-upgradable units that should not be allowed to be built in later tech eras.

Editable Civ-specific bonuses.

More customizable terraforming options. so you can add new terraforming effects (farms), or even things that increase shields and food or the like.

Non-editor related: Allow the ability to give another civ units, and also allow treaty options to allow another civ to build a unit type it can't currently build (but a non-UU) for 20 turns. This could simulate a Cold War type scenerio, where one culture helps out another with an influx of weapons and so forth. You should even be allowed to give them the ability to make a unit that has become obsolete for you.

That's all I can think of for now.

Blue Moose
Old September 8, 2002, 00:32   #4
Blue Moose
Warlord

Editable ages. Ability to add and delete ages, as well as rename them.

Blue Moose
Old September 8, 2002, 00:39   #5
Blue Moose
Warlord

Editable movement on roads and railroad, as well as editable "all terrain as roads"

Editable repeat attack number, so it can be different from number of movement points (but always equal to or less).

Blue Moose
Old September 8, 2002, 00:43   #6
Blue Moose
Warlord

Unit Edits:
Always destoryed after attack, regardless of result.

Always destroyed after defense, regardless of result. Cannot kill unit.

Unit requires no support flag.

Some of these would be useful for landmines.

Blue Moose
Old September 8, 2002, 03:13   #7
Blue Moose
Warlord

add improvement/wonder/small wonder prerequisite field for units

Blue Moose
Old September 8, 2002, 07:03   #8
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 09:38
-Allow different Barbarian Units for different Ages

-Include the Option to make Manhattan Project a small wonder (i.e. to include a checkbox "Allow nuclear warfare" when you have chosen your Wonder to be a small Wonder)

and a lot of the additions, already mentioned
Old September 8, 2002, 14:24   #9
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 03:38
All I'm going to say is 'good luck'.
Old September 9, 2002, 00:11   #10
Mr. Schwang
Settler

yeah, 90% chance Firaxis won't even consider ANY of our suggestions for the Expansion, much less just the editor. I doubt they even look at any of them. Dan Magaha used to be here at Apolyton quite a bit, but I haven't seen him in a long time.

Oh yeah, BTW, included on my list at the top just also be:

-increase maximum possible Operational Range also to 50 (or 99 would even be better, as one suggested).
Old September 9, 2002, 00:41   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Schwang
yeah, 90% chance Firaxis won't even consider ANY of our suggestions for the Expansion, much less just the editor. I doubt they even look at any of them. Dan Magaha used to be here at Apolyton quite a bit, but I haven't seen him in a long time.

Oh yeah, BTW, included on my list at the top just also be:

-increase maximum possible Operational Range also to 50 (or 99 would even be better, as one suggested).
uhh, no offense, I think some of your suggestions are good, but its a little late in the game to add stuff to the editor. The beta is already being tested, the game almost ready to ship. Doubtful they would add stuff in at this point. Maybe the thread should be titled "editor suggestions for XP#2"
Old September 9, 2002, 07:16   #12
WarpStorm
King

I know for a fact Firaxis still reads these forums, they posted on stuff just the other day. As for not posting as often, I'm sure they're keeping long hours to get PTW out the door on time (I'm pretty sure Infogrames gave them a deadline to work to).

Asleepatthewheel is correct. Good ideas at this point are too late to get in PTW. Maybe in a patch (they patch the game for a solid year, I imagine the expansion shopuld be good for a couple of patches) or the (probable IMHO) 2nd XP.
Old September 9, 2002, 07:38   #13
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I want groups. It should solve so mush....
Old September 9, 2002, 18:11   #14
Mr. Schwang
Settler

yeah I know they won't add anything to the XP from our suggestions, but mine as well give my opinion.
Old September 9, 2002, 19:51   #15
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Schwang
yeah I know they won't add anything to the XP from our suggestions, but mine as well give my opinion.
I was just pointing out they probably can't due anything with the PTW XP since this was posted in the PTW forum as opposed to the general forum.
Old September 22, 2002, 09:31   #16
Bolt
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:38
Unit

Fly
Be able to have flying units like helicopters (or hovers, future flying ships), that can fly over any terrain (except maybe mountains). How long before refuelled should be an option (also infinite fuel).

Work Rate
Having different effective worker (be able to set work rate, nice to have some military units being able to build some things but slower, also nice to have engineers doing faster work (I know work rate can be upgrade by tech, but nice to have different workers at the same time).

Ambush
Ambush ability on some units, like being able to when still for some turns disappears out of site, but attack if an enemy unit come close (also having how good the units is doing this, and also how good units is to spot such things).

Explode
Unit id auto destroyed when attacked, like mines.

Healer Unit
A unit that heals other units faster that are close by, like 2 per turn outside enemy border and 1 per turn inside (2 when having the wonder).

Boost
Have a using that is capable of boosting another unit, like a gain 25% in attack or defence (general or maybe priest).

Water Worker
Be able to have a water working unit and having worker jobs on water.

Retreat
Be able to set if a unit (and how good it is) at escaping battle/flying (even 1 movement units that have not moved recently).

Better Fortify
Having a unit or ability, that can make better temporary fortifications. Having a new type of fortification that can be built that is more effective.

City

New City Max Size
Be able to set new max sizes in city and not just the two (from aqueduct and the hospital), also having a building that boost city max size with for example 10% or +2. City max size should not be directly connected to city levels (also more city levels would be nice). Add a city size minimum to build some units/buildings or even free buildings when a city reaches a certain size.

Towers
Be able to build towers (in a city or by itself) that can shoot at close by and attacking units. Should be able to be built first in middle ages (or maybe earlier) and improved over time.

City Type
Be able to set a city to a specially type, like military camp/sea port/trade port/farm land/industry.

City Border
An option to show all city borders at the same time.

Other

Events
Be able to set events in scenarios.

Improve Diplomacy
Improve diplomacy, live have more then 8 civ in same screen, trade units.

Time
Able to set start and finish date, set time increments (like months instead of years). [Will probably be fixed in PTW]

Add Terrain
Be able to add new terrains (and not just replace), like: artic/glacier, forested hills, dessert hills/dunes, swamp, savannah, large mountains, coral reefs, volcano, bed rocks (and be able to setting up more for each type, like if road is possible to build (like not possible on swamps)).

Resources
Set how much a resource add in food/shields/commerce when built irrigation/mining/road (for example iron should not at much shields until mined). Also separate the 3 types of resources in the resource list with a line or something. Maybe a chance a resource is changed to something else. Also be able to set a rescores will modify movement, and even remove food/shield/commercials.

New Worker Job
Be able to add new (and not just replace) worker jobs, like: sawmill, farmland, terminal borehole :-), one more type of road - better then road but less good than railroad. Also be able to set movement on rail (like 16/step or something).

Terra Form
Be able to terra form; call it magic if you like.

Add Eras
Be able to add eras and not just 4 of them (at least up to 9).

Tech Options
Be able to set a tech to non tradable (and not being able to get it with great library).

World Size
Larger max size than 256x256 (some just want a never ending game), like 1024x1024 (1000x20 is only 30.5% of 256x256). Add a new world size, like enormous or humongous. Also add flat word and even the option to scroll over polar.

Governments
Add more options for governments like, % science/gold/food/shield bonuses and % bonuses on specially types of buildings and units like religious buildings and offensive units, bonuses on rushing units/buildings.

New Civilisation Traits
Have more civilization traits like:
Maritime, Diplomatic - Better diplomacy, Industrious - worker bonus, Procreate - Faster reproduction, Charismatic - More happiness, Nomadic -

Other
Options for golden age to appear in every era.
Option to set that spill on making new units/building is not wasted but added to next thing, same with new city size (like in Alpha Centauri). This will lessen the micromanagement a bit.
Be able to set air range to longer than 8.

Note: sorry if something have already been said.
Old September 22, 2002, 11:22   #17
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

A fag for buildings that require resources that make them function only as long as the resource still is available in the city. (The best would be one flag for each resource option, so that a building could require two resources to build, but just one of them to continue work)
Old September 25, 2002, 06:57   #18
Bolt
Chieftain

When doing randomize world there should be an option how resorce dence the world should be, like none, rare, some, common, everywhere.
Old September 25, 2002, 07:29   #19
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bolt
When doing randomize world there should be an option how resorce dence the world should be, like none, rare, some, common, everywhere.
Well, since this is an editor thread, I should point out that you have these options in the editor now.
Old September 27, 2002, 08:51   #20
Bolt
Chieftain

Where? If you set hig possibility on every resorces there is still as much of them, the total cant be cahange can it? Only manually setting out the resoreces.
Old September 27, 2002, 09:04   #21
WarpStorm
King

The total most definitely does change. A high probabity means lots a low means very little.
Old September 27, 2002, 17:23   #22
Bolt
Chieftain

Of one type yea but the other types get less.