Old September 8, 2002, 11:41   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What time is it?!?!?!
One last thing, if my brain can stay coherent a bit longer (0345 here).

The chat was scheduled to start at 0900 GMT/0400EST. I know there has been a 5 hour time difference for ages, since chats were ALWAYS 0900/0400. BUT, for some reason this time the ESTers told me I was late (I was there at 2030 my time = 0830GMT and I THOUGHT 0330 EST). There was no one there but WhiteBandit and GodKing so it was no issue. But then Shiber (IIRC) and someone else (can't remember who - sorry! Aro?) turned up and told me I was on time GMT.

My question is this: is there a 5 or 4 hour gap between GMT and EST now? When did it change? Am I posting this at 1550 GMT and 1150 EST? What time is it in both of these zones that I am posting this?

Fortunately this didn't cause any problems this time around, but it might. I want this straight, from ppl who actually live in EST/GMT.

Thanks.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 8, 2002, 11:46   #2
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:40
Right now, it's 11:52 EST.

-- adaMada
Old September 8, 2002, 11:50   #3
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

No its 10:52 est and 11:52 EDT, we have daylight savings time. That is the source of the error.
Aggie
Old September 8, 2002, 11:53   #4
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:40
Re: What time is it?!?!?!
But then Shiber (IIRC) and someone else (can't remember who - sorry! Aro?) turned up and told me I was on time GMT.

It was astrologix !
Old September 8, 2002, 12:01   #5
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
No its 10:52 est and 11:52 EDT, we have daylight savings time. That is the source of the error.
Aggie
Wouldn't it still be 11:52 EST, since that's the current time in the EST zone (lets say New York for convienence), even if it is in DST?

Basically, isn't 5:00 EST Five AM in New York, weather DST is occuring or not?

, I never thought times were confusing before...

-- adaMada
Old September 8, 2002, 12:08   #6
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

You weren't on time. You were one hour early (we began at 10:00 GMT).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 8, 2002, 12:27   #7
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Adamada, I'm in central time, during summer CDT=EST, EDT = AST right now it is 11:34 here so it is 11:34 EST. The reason I mentioned the daylight time was that I suspect that's confusing some people here in the states. And here's why, GMT doesn't change, during winter(non DST) NY is -5 from gmt, during some it is -4 and central is -5. It is weird when you start having to think about one time varying and one time constant. NOW if you live in arizona you have no problem they don't do DST.
Aggie
Old September 8, 2002, 12:35   #8
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

Shiber,
I am in Switzerland. This morning i logged into the chat at 10:50 swiss local time. It was 9:50 UK and 8:50 GMT.
Im am 100% sure that MrWIA was right. The chat began at 9:00 GMT !

Right now it is 18:38 swiss local time, 17:38 UK time and 16:38 GMT. I've cheked this in the BBC's web page http://news.bbc.co.uk/
Old September 8, 2002, 14:10   #9
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Oh wait, you're absolutely right. I thought the chat was supposed to begin at 11:00 GMT since I always translate GMT time to Israel time (+2:00). MWIA, my apologies.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 8, 2002, 16:06   #10
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:40
WHY can't the Earth just be flat. It would make everything so much easier!

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 8, 2002, 16:21   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Hagbart
WHY can't the Earth just be flat. It would make everything so much easier!
/me snaps his fingers

The Earth is now flat. Problem solved.

I am overjoyed to see it is not at all my fault and I was on time and was not wrong. EST is NOT the time in the EST zone, much as GMT is not the time in Greenwich, but it is a standard that does not change for daylight saving. I can't keep track of when you guys all change your times, and I don't expect anyone there to keep track of our daylight saving. Do I need to point this out in future?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 8, 2002, 17:13   #12
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 23:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Perhaps it would be easier next time to just post only the time you want in GMT and leave it up to us to check what it would be for our local time zone by going to a website such as http://greenwichmeantime.com/

I guess I should have double checked, but I was going by what you had typed as 0400 EST, when the correct correlation would have been 0500 EST time instead. But yeah, I think to avoid this proble, it would be better to just type CHAT AT 2200 GMT!!!

Of course I guess it is convienent if you do convert it for us, but then we have this issue of daylight savings vs. standard time. So I think it would be best just to go to http://greenwichmeantime.com/ and figure it out. That website has correct times for ALL over the world, so one can easily figure out the difference for their local area!

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old September 8, 2002, 17:17   #13
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 23:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
In fact, now that I look, a better place on that site is:
http://greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter2.htm

One can click on any country in the world to find out it's correct time zones for GMT, including daylight savings time and standard time. Clicking on New Zealand gives a nice table that says it is GMT + 12 in standard time but GMT + 13 in daylight savings time (and it even tells the dates for daylight savings time!!)

Perfect!

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old September 8, 2002, 20:54   #14
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 03:40
I hate daylight savings time.

No fault to MWIA, but getting up at 5 am local would have been much easier then getting up at 4 am.

I say we follow what Aurthor Clark suggested in one of his novels = switch the earth in 4 time zones, 6 hours different from each other. Makes scheduling much easier..... particularly when I am trying to set up a conference call with people in Moscow, Edinbourgh (sp is bad.... sorry fellow scottsmen), NYC, Detroit (me), LA and Tokyo.

Also, while I am at it, if people will just go back to using inches, feet and miles it would realy make my life easier........

Next time, lets just stick with GMT and let everybody else figure out their local time.

grumble,..... mumble, ...d@mn daylight savings time.......

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 9, 2002, 03:08   #15
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:40
Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Also, while I am at it, if people will just go back to using inches, feet and miles it would realy make my life easier........
I am so glad you put that " " there..!