Old September 8, 2002, 16:50   #1
IamJordan1
Settler

Local Time: 07:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Does science beakers carry over?
Ok lets say i just started the game. The tech needs 30 turns to complete and I am making 10 gold from taxes. So I set it to a lower amount of science, but it still requires 30 turns to complete, but i am now making 12 gold per turn. Obviously 2 of my beakers have been converted to commerce. So my questoin is if i set it at 30 turns, 10 gold will my next tech take fewer turns to complete or will 12 gold and 30 turns be a better option?
Old September 8, 2002, 17:07   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 08:41
Re: Does science beakers carry over?
Quote:
Originally posted by IamJordan1
Ok lets say i just started the game. The tech needs 30 turns to complete and I am making 10 gold from taxes. So I set it to a lower amount of science, but it still requires 30 turns to complete, but i am now making 12 gold per turn. Obviously 2 of my beakers have been converted to commerce. So my questoin is if i set it at 30 turns, 10 gold will my next tech take fewer turns to complete or will 12 gold and 30 turns be a better option?
No, science beakers never carry over. Set your science as low as you can (for a given number of turns) and make more money. Putting more into your research will not help you in any way unless it affects the number of turns needed to finish the research.

You can use this to your advantage... if you go to the screen every turn and check the science slider, moving it as low as possible without changing the number of turns to complete the research, you can save/make quite a lot of money. Personally, I do it only on the last turn... often, you can set science as low as 10%, make a huge amount of money, and still finish the tech in 1 turn.
Old September 8, 2002, 17:17   #3
IamJordan1
Settler

Thaxn for the swift reply, i've always managed the f1 screen like that every turn. I thougth i was losing out beakers for the next tech.
Old September 8, 2002, 17:17   #4
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
From what I've heard, the beakers do not carry over.

I wouldn't adjust the science rate just yet, though. Over all those turns, you may gain population, build roads, etc., and thus increase the amount of commerce going into science. The given number of turns to completion is calculated based only on the current rate (same as with production in cities). As a result, you may really get the tech sooner at the higher rate than you would at the lower one.

What I do is wait until there is just one turn left to finish researching the tech, then reduce my science rate to the minimum that will allow me to still finish it in one turn. You can actually save a lot of gold this way.

And of course, if you are researching at the minimum rate (40 turns), set science spending to 10%, or to 0% and just use 1 scientist. And don't spend more than you need to to research at the maximum rate (4 turns).

Finally, scientists (and tax collectors) still do their work during anarchy, IIRC. So one scientist will still allow you to research at the minimum rate during anarchy.
Old September 8, 2002, 17:18   #5
IamJordan1
Settler

Is 4 turns per a tech the fastest you can go at? I remember back in the original game before the patch I was able to accomplish 3 turns per tech.
Old September 8, 2002, 17:24   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:41
I believe one of the patches made it so you could only go down to 4.
Old September 8, 2002, 17:24   #7
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 02:41
Quote:
Originally posted by IamJordan1
Is 4 turns per a tech the fastest you can go at? I remember back in the original game before the patch I was able to accomplish 3 turns per tech.

I think it was 1.17f that changed the rate to 4 turns and 40 turns.

When your tech reaches 4 turns until finished, I suggest you play around with the science bar to you can get the most money without increasing the amount of the time to fnish the research.
Old September 8, 2002, 18:10   #8
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yeah, it's 4 now, but you can bring it all the way down to 1 in the editor. The maximum rate only goes up to 100. I wish there were an "unlimited" option for that. I also wish we could undo the "unlimited" for movement along railroads. They should really remove some of the limitations in the editor.
Old September 8, 2002, 18:23   #9
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 08:41
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnM2433
I also wish we could undo the "unlimited" for movement along railroads. They should really remove some of the limitations in the editor.
There was a long thread about this some time ago. The problem is that the zero-cost movement along railroads is hardcoded in the game engine (in order to speed up the pathway finding routines - two places connected with a railroad link have a movement cost of 0, which helps a lot, as later in the game almost everything is railroaded).

So it is not about unlocking something that is locked in the editor, it would be about redoing a very important piece of the core game engine.

Having this said... I would also welcome a change here... even if it makes my civving a bit more difficult.
Old September 8, 2002, 20:20   #10
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 02:41
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnM2433
Yeah, it's 4 now, but you can bring it all the way down to 1 in the editor. The maximum rate only goes up to 100. I wish there were an "unlimited" option for that. I also wish we could undo the "unlimited" for movement along railroads. They should really remove some of the limitations in the editor.

I agree, but aren't we supposed to be complaining about the bomber range in the game?

To make roads and RR more valuable, I edited the game so that you can't build roads on mountains. Of course I removed resources from mountains, I didn't need to move them elsewere because all resources on mountains can be found elsewhere.