Old September 9, 2002, 16:56   #1
ArmaGeddin
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Keyboard short cuts wrong in file download?
I went into the file download area and got the updated manual there and I have some questions....

I didn't see a keystroke for telling a worker to build roads, or rail only. I always want to put some workers on road building and rail building at points in the game and I can't figure out a way to do it without watching them myself.

Also, I see the "J" key in the maunal says "Go to whole stack", but when I try it, it only moves one unit when there are lots at the location. Whats up with that?
Old September 9, 2002, 17:04   #2
Wormwood
Warlord

The stack movement with J moves all units of the type selected that are not fortified and have movement points.
Old September 9, 2002, 19:16   #3
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 02:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The old commands were supposed to remain the same (at least that is what the button descriptions would lead you to believe.) My re-base aircraft keyboard command has not worked since 1.29, I haven't tried the ones you mention. Ctrl+R and Ctrl+Shift+R don't work any more?
Old September 9, 2002, 21:35   #4
Wormwood
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by miccofl
The old commands were supposed to remain the same (at least that is what the button descriptions would lead you to believe.) My re-base aircraft keyboard command has not worked since 1.29
That's odd. It hasn't changed me for at all.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:47   #5
ArmaGeddin
Chieftain

Ctrl +R will build one section of rail.
Ctrl + shift + R will build rail to a city.

I want to set a worker on building rail and let him go. Just like I can do for converting forest or jungle.

BTW: What does ( Ctrl + N ) set a worker to doing? I don't see it listed in the manual, and I hit it by accident yesterday and my worker went off to do something but I lost site of him.
Old September 10, 2002, 13:02   #6
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 08:43
Quote:
Originally posted by ArmaGeddin
Ctrl +R will build one section of rail.
Ctrl + shift + R will build rail to a city.

I want to set a worker on building rail and let him go. Just like I can do for converting forest or jungle.

BTW: What does ( Ctrl + N ) set a worker to doing? I don't see it listed in the manual, and I hit it by accident yesterday and my worker went off to do something but I lost site of him.
AFAIK, it is "plaNt forest".

EDIT: Oops... wrong. One plants forests with "N" only. Perhaps it really is "build trade network", as stonewall suggests, I am just unable to get a chance to build it... I suppose I would have to have my worker in an unconnected city...

Last edited by vondrack; September 10, 2002 at 13:16.
Old September 10, 2002, 13:06   #7
stonewall
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:43
Quote:

That command is for "Trade Network". I believe it sets the worker to connect all of your cities by road.
Old September 10, 2002, 13:08   #8
stonewall
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:43
Oh yea, I believe the only way to get the worker to build a road or railroad in every square to set them to "Shift-A" (automate worker leaving existing improvements".
Old September 10, 2002, 13:41   #9
ArmaGeddin
Chieftain

Thats what I thought......... Oh well.

One other question......

If I set a worker on auto remove jungle or on build road network, and they run out of jungle, or they connect everything, do they ask for more orders? Or will they just stand there doing nothing?
Old September 10, 2002, 13:56   #10
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 08:43
Quote:
If I set a worker on auto remove jungle or on build road network, and they run out of jungle, or they connect everything, do they ask for more orders? Or will they just stand there doing nothing?
Bit of both, but more of "they will ask for new orders"... as soon as they can't continue with their current assignment, they will stop, stand quiet, and await more orders - that is, they will get a focus during your turn and you will be able to give them new orders. If you are like me and go through all your units every turn, this effectively means that they sort of "ask" for a new assignment...