Old September 9, 2002, 23:34   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 02:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Making the most of this game
I've always been a fan of world maps with originial starting locations, so for my first game here at uni i've decided to give a go at marla's world map (i now have a 1.8 ghz, 256 mb ram on a lappie, i figure i may be able to stand the wait now).

so anyway, i played a game will all the civs MINUS all the european ones. I played as france, and basically had europe to myself.

I wanted to have an interesting late game (i only got to the nuclear age about 3 times, i lose interest when i know i'm going to win), so I refrained from major wars myself, and let other people fight and grow. I was conducting a puppetmaster warfare scheme. China slapped japan around and got huge.

So, i recently got tanks, destroyers, battleships, and carriers (ahead of everyone else), so i've been amassing my forces.

i have two main "Carrier Fleets" (carriers / battleships / destroyers), and some scouting destroyer packs. I'm building the bombers / fighters now (most carriers are empty).

anyway, i figured i may as well make the game MORE interesting, so i declare war on england, which via mpp declares war on russia, which via mpp makes egypt declare war on them, via mpp makes china declare war on russia. god i love mpp some times.

anyway, in about 5 turns, russia is booted of Eurasia, with a few small cities on ice ridden hell holes. I'm going to make peace for most of those tundra cities just so i dont have to take them later.

plus, greenland may help any invasion of the americas.

anyway, i'm approaching the modern era and i've been disappointed with my war with russia. i can pop out a tank in most cities in 2 turns, and it just got repetitive (the way it always ends up). After i cleaned up russia, i noticed large numbers of chinese cavalry wandering about.

I want to wait a bit longer (at least until tac nukes) and then start a huge world war. I'd like you to help me draw the sides

see the attached pic. all the starting locations are correct, so you can assume whos who.

the entire world is at peace (except people fighting russia and england, but they're dead. dont worry about them).

note: the aztecs and zulu are "backwater" civs. they're about 3-4 techs behind the world, with no money and little infastructure.

i'll attach demographics in a second.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	europa.gif
Views:	275
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	24032  
Old September 9, 2002, 23:37   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

when i said demograohics, i meant the histograph power chart. sorry :P
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	power.gif
Views:	274
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	24033  
Old September 9, 2002, 23:38   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think it's fairly obvious i should make China my main enemy, but who else do you think i should fight?

sides should be made based on equal power, geographic convience, blah blah blah.
Old September 9, 2002, 23:39   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

oh, and japan is hopelessly dead. china hit them a little too hard.

they're still alive, but not by much.
Old September 9, 2002, 23:41   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

let it also be said that i have had a long lasting friendship with the Egyptians.

postcount++

no more spam, i swear.
Old September 9, 2002, 23:51   #6
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 00:45
I admire your threshhold for pain.

I could never get myself to play on that dreaded Marla Singer map.

As for your game, my advice is to hit the civ that can threaten you the most, whether militarilly, technologically, or culturally.
Old September 9, 2002, 23:53   #7
Thrawn05
King

void Uber::PostCount(int)
{

if (Ming != Here)
{
int PostCount = 10000;
return PostCount++;
}
else
{
return Banned;
}

}

Take China, I never liked china.
Old September 9, 2002, 23:56   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

well yea, i can SEE that, but i want to make a huge world war. you know, one i may have a CHANCE of losing .

i'm thinking me, egypt, and the zulu vs the world.

the indo-china alliance would be annoying, and the Americas wont pose a threat unless united.

babylon has been neutral in every war. I have an RoP and i've been using it to stomp the Russians.
Old September 9, 2002, 23:56   #9
Thrawn05
King

Uber, I'm gald you can join the wonderful world of Giga maps.

I made a Marla's world map with starting locations, but what I did is I placed each city, and gave each civ an extra bonus.

For example, Commercial civs get a road in each of the nine cities tiles from start, scientific get a spearman (greeks get hoplite), etc...

It plays very well. I should stop being lazy and upload it.
Old September 9, 2002, 23:59   #10
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
well yea, i can SEE that, but i want to make a huge world war. you know, one i may have a CHANCE of losing .

i'm thinking me, egypt, and the zulu vs the world.

the indo-china alliance would be annoying, and the Americas wont pose a threat unless united.

babylon has been neutral in every war. I have an RoP and i've been using it to stomp the Russians.

I usualy look for the big boy and pick a fight. China would be ideal because going after anyother would most likely just expand China's power, B**** slapping them for a while will make you the muncho man of the world.... but in this case you don't count because you started as france.
Old September 10, 2002, 00:54   #11
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

For a challenging game, sell techs to your major rivals (or everyone) so they are at least almost advanced as you. Plant spies, and if they don't upgrade after awhile, encourage them by getting them in a fight. Slow down your military production somewhat so you don't have overwhelming superiority.

You can always resume full production once your war starts!

Once you start your world war, how you handle war weariness may be your biggest challenge.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 10, 2002, 01:04   #12
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

BTW, if they haven't any cash to pay for your techs, you can always sell for their world map!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 10, 2002, 02:59   #13
Wormwood
Warlord

Local Time: 23:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Once you start your world war, how you handle war weariness may be your biggest challenge.
I have a similar situation now. I own all of N and S america, as well as Greenland and many Pacific islands. I had a much,much,much more powerful position then anyone, and I was preparing a three front war: Western Europe, Asia, and Australia. 25 CV, 30 BB, 31 DD, tons of MA, etc. I did a nuclear first strike that obliterated most resistance, and now I'm just going through, razing. It's all grnding to a halt now, with the war weariness getting out of control. I'm operating at defecit now, and will have to end the war soon, but no one is willing to acknowledge my envoy
Old September 10, 2002, 03:05   #14
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Wormwood
I did a nuclear first strike that obliterated most resistance, and now I'm just going through, razing. It's all grnding to a halt now, with the war weariness getting out of control. I'm operating at defecit now, and will have to end the war soon, but no one is willing to acknowledge my envoy
Surprising, isn't it?
Old September 10, 2002, 03:16   #15
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 09:45
10% pcr to guess who
Old September 10, 2002, 03:48   #16
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 07:45
why is this spam? why the pcr?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old September 10, 2002, 06:09   #17
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 07:45
This game is obviously a fraud. What in the world is South America doing still unpopulated this late in the game?
Old September 10, 2002, 06:33   #18
Kampus majore
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:45
My thoughts exactly! The Aztecs would have taken South America by now....
Old September 10, 2002, 07:40   #19
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 04:45
I also think that it's weird to see S. America still largely unpopulated. As for the pcr, uber could have been more... organized in his considerations, avoiding so many successive posts.

If the game is real then I'd suggest him to go after the Babs. Things would be screwed up royally.
Old September 10, 2002, 08:50   #20
metalhead
Warlord

Local Time: 03:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Chronus
This game is obviously a fraud. What in the world is South America doing still unpopulated this late in the game?
I thought this was strange, too. Perhaps the max. # of cities were built before the Aztecs (or Americans, or Iroquois, who also would have taken it) could get to it?
Old September 10, 2002, 10:29   #21
Wormwood
Warlord

It does provide a nice, uncontested landing area for a massive invasion of the Americas. There, they wouldn't be able to RR every attack unit they have at your invasion force.

edit: Isn't it also strange that Australia is unexplored and unpopulated?
Old September 10, 2002, 10:32   #22
Wormwood
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

Surprising, isn't it?
No, I'm not surprised at all!! I just wanted to show that strongarm tactics like that do have a price, and I think WW really slows world domination in later ages, which, I think, is as it should be.
Old September 10, 2002, 11:16   #23
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by metalhead

I thought this was strange, too. Perhaps the max. # of cities were built before the Aztecs (or Americans, or Iroquois, who also would have taken it) could get to it?
no, it's marlas world map.

settlers cost 3 pop. it's only around 1400.

the aztecs are way behind too. very little road coverage.
Old September 10, 2002, 11:18   #24
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by metalhead

I started in Mexico a few times as Rome (before I changed the starting locations).

The problem is Jungle/Barbians. The combination warrents that moving south is not worth it, since there is only rubber down there. The real stuff is north, such as Oil and Al
Old September 10, 2002, 11:30   #25
Thrawn05
King

This is what I would do if I went for China.

I first look for a city in central america that could act like a Panama canal, if not, skip this paragraph. Take and hold it. The when you act, ask for peace. Use this city to cut down transport time.

Hawaii looks lonely... build a city. Use as a staging area for an amphib assault on china. If the limit has been reached, then just build a few forts and make sure you build up your forces. As many transports loaded with units as you see fit.

At the same time, gets some ROP and move troops to the other side of china. This will be your second front.

Make sure all MPP and potential alliances are met (by potential, is ask a civ what they would want for an Alliance against china, if they no way, then that's not a potential alliance).

Once you think you have enough transports, move your fleet into position. Timing is up to you. Take a port city so that the rest of the transports can unload units that can be used on the same turn.

The second front should be taking a few cities. This front is more a diversion then an actualy attack. IMHO, from what I've seen, the AI can't handle 2 fronts, and with allies going after china it would get wrose.

The time to load up transports, stage at Hawaii, and goto war... about 50-70 turns. If you got the panama canal city, then this should be from 50-60 turns.

Have fun.
Old September 10, 2002, 11:56   #26
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 03:45
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Send out the Carrier fleets now... I'd send one to the China Sea, and one to an appropriate position threating India. You can rebase along the way.

Wait for Syn Fiber, building many Tanks (200 minimum) and mass upgrade.

Build 8-10 Tac Nukes.

Negotiate an ROP with India...

Nuke away, and start bombarding China. Send the MA attack force along the Himalayas, into the soft belly of the core Chinese cities, immediately thereafter.

Allow China to ally with India, and then use that as an opportunity to send a second wave of MAs and MIs to create a 'supply line' of captured cities from west to east. At some point you may wish to cut Babylon in half as well, just to avoid dependence on the ROP.

Do everything possible to pop a GL, and build either the FP or a new Palace somewhere around Tibet.

Please do report back here... I've started to enjoy late-game WW3s.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:04   #27
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Please do report back here... I've started to enjoy late-game WW3s.
WW3 are very fun. There was one that started in 2021 and lasted until 2200. Mostly because MPPs were expireing and civs switching sides, making 1 turn peace, etc...
Old September 11, 2002, 11:43   #28
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i've decided what i'm going to do.

firstly, i am saving it now so if i want to later, i can play out different ways. i'm pretty sure this way will be best.

The teams will be me and Egypt vs the World.

I have a MPP with egypt, and they have one with china. so china has to attack me first, essentially.

when i get nukes, i get egypt to declare war on india with me, then i drop tons of nukes on whatevers in range, pissing off the entire world (except egypt, hopefully), making them declare war on me.

soon enough, it will be me and egpyt vs the world.

i was thinking about throwing babylon into our alliance, but that have no rubber and they have the sistine chapel