Old September 10, 2002, 21:52   #1
The Puny Celt
Settler

Local Time: 17:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Are you a cheat?
I always think there's something a bit pathetic about cheating at PC games, but Civ3 has the dubious distinction of changing my mind.

If I have a town/city where all the population are happy (not just content, but happy, all of them) and it flips to a civ with less culture than mine...well I reload the turn, get all my troops out, sell all city improvements, then carry on.

Kind of pathetic isn't it? But that culture flipping is soooo annoying, it's like the AI has cheated me and I'm just getting my own back.
(but I still feel dirty and cheap for cheating at a PC game )
Old September 10, 2002, 23:20   #2
Jethro83
Prince

I don't cheat (unless you count modding the game as cheating).

Usually I couldn't be bothered saving every turn and reloading whenever something goes wrong (such as the culture flip). I prefer to play it out and see how things turn out afterward.
Old September 10, 2002, 23:56   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:47
no, i never cheat (unless i'm experimenting)
victorie is much sweeter when having overcome a couple of 'disasters' and knowing you have done it fair and square

Quote:
NEW YORK! NEW YOOoRK !!
Old September 11, 2002, 00:06   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:47
Before I could answer that I would have to have a definition of what constitutes cheating. It is not the same for everyone. For instance, I would not reload, but I have. If say I am going late in a game and I am interrupted (phone, dinner whatever), I come back to the game and forgot to do something I meant to do, I may decide to reload and do it or I may not. I would have to have a save to do it with and I may or may not have one. I ususally will save when I walk away from the game. I normally will finish the turn before I walk away, but sometimes you don't. Use of the editor make be a cheat, use of cetain mods may be a cheat. I don't have any mods or use the editor, but some do.
Old September 11, 2002, 00:54   #5
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 07:47
Ummm, you don't have to save every turn. Thats what the auto save is for!
Old September 11, 2002, 07:08   #6
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 02:47
I use mods, but nothing that isn't as fair for the AI as for me. I don't reload except for the occasional CTD. I don't see a point in cheating against the AI. If I lose, I lose.
Old September 11, 2002, 07:23   #7
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 08:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Ummm, you don't have to save every turn. Thats what the auto save is for!
Only if you have the "autosave" preference turned on
Old September 11, 2002, 08:16   #8
thorpey
Settler

I think a poll is in order.

Many people have different views on what 'cheating' is.

It would be interesting to get a feel for what people
think on this.
Old September 11, 2002, 08:21   #9
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by: WarpStorm
I don't see a point in cheating against the AI.
No doubt! Making a mod to test things out is something I do quite frequently, but unless I'm testing major economic changes I seldom finish them for a win. I haven't done the reload turn thing since I was learning to play this game (about a year.) Cheating would make the victory seem so hollow. Besides the AI plays so stupidly at times, it would be like cheating against a four-year old.
Old September 11, 2002, 09:52   #10
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by LordAzreal
I don't cheat (unless you count modding the game as cheating).
The same here.

I should load up my mod, because I think it's neat.
Old September 11, 2002, 10:35   #11
Wormwood
Warlord

Local Time: 23:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
When playing on a new difficulty level for the first few times, I often restart if I don't have a great starting position. I might be "cheating", but I consider it "cheap".
Old September 11, 2002, 11:40   #12
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Sometimes I reload the game if I push the wrong button. But I try not to reload when my unit gets killed.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 11, 2002, 12:53   #13
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wormwood
When playing on a new difficulty level for the first few times, I often restart if I don't have a great starting position. I might be "cheating", but I consider it "cheap".
No, that's just conceding the loss a bunch of times in quick succession.
Old September 11, 2002, 13:03   #14
vmxa1
Deity

Mods can be benign or not. If you make a universal change that may be fine, if you play as Civ abc and give them a boost to their UU that is another story. If you are just doing an experiement that is different. The editor can be used the same way. You could make a map that favs you or helps. That is not the same as say removing all of a given resource to see what happens, since it effects everyone. So it all depends.
Old September 11, 2002, 14:10   #15
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

I believe that folks who hate the culture flip but otherwise like the game should feel free to deal with that issue as they think best. I tend to play pure warmonger, often with no early culture builds at all. If I start to reload after flips, then it clearly is cheating since I'm taking advantage of the resources ignoring culture gives me without paying the occasional price in full.
Old September 11, 2002, 17:20   #16
Rebel67
Settler

I never reload if something goes wrong, but then thats probably just because my computer takes ages to load a game. I just dont have the patience to wait.
Old September 11, 2002, 19:09   #17
Demerzel
Warlord

as someone says above, the view on what constitutes cheating varies from person to person.

personally I believe that if you've bought the game you have every right to play/mod the game any way you wish to. As long as the only person involved is yourself then what does it matter? If it is multi-player gaming then obviously a level playing field is essential but otherwise enforcing your views on someone else is wrong.

as i've said before I've been accused of "cheating" because I use the quick-save & quick-load for single player games like Half-Life or Jedi Knight 2.

some peeps worry me...
Old September 11, 2002, 19:28   #18
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
as someone says above, the view on what constitutes cheating varies from person to person.

personally I believe that if you've bought the game you have every right to play/mod the game any way you wish to. As long as the only person involved is yourself then what does it matter? If it is multi-player gaming then obviously a level playing field is essential but otherwise enforcing your views on someone else is wrong.

as i've said before I've been accused of "cheating" because I use the quick-save & quick-load for single player games like Half-Life or Jedi Knight 2.

some peeps worry me...
MP is of course a different story, there should be an agreement to such mods/cheat amounst players in any game for MP.

Many people cried about the lack of a save feature for AvP, it doens't bother me because I only save for games like Civ3. But that's mean.
Old September 11, 2002, 20:27   #19
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

cheating is the invention of the devil

the easy way out, with no hard work, and no lessons learnt.
Old September 11, 2002, 20:27   #20
Proteus_MST
King

I´m sometimes reloading, if I try to plant a spy, get caught and the other Civ declares a war on me as a result.
But I don´t reload if I don´t like the Results of Combat.

I´m also one of the people who mod their game.
One Mod is doubling the HP of the Units. Some People call it cheating, cause it gives more modern Units a greater advantage over older Units, but I don´t think it is cheating. One Point is, that it doesnt create Killer-Units. Even with this Mod i´ve seen Longbowmen defeating Riflemen and the like, and the second Point is, that most of the Ancient and medieval ages I am not the technical Leader, but on the same technological Level as the AI (and sometimes even backwards). It´s the Industrial and modern times, where I develop a distinct technological edge over the AI.

But just like Demerzel, it doesn´t matter to me, if People "cheat" (for example by reloading Battles), as long it is in their Single Player mode.
Someone in another Thread said: Reloading kills the fun in the game. But I strongly disagree. Maybe, for this certain Person it kills the fun in the game, but for some other players it is a far greater funkiller to frequently loose against the AI, cause they try to be absolutely honest in the game and never ever reload the game cause something went wrong.
I even tolerate people who make the UU of their Civilization a real Killer-UU. Hey, it isn´t not my Style of Play, but if those people like it and it enhances their Gaming experience, it is O.K. (as long as they don´t use those mods in Multiplayer of course )
Old September 12, 2002, 04:43   #21
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

I do not think there is something very new I could add to this topic... so I will just briefly state that I agree with most posters here. As far as the SP is concerned, everyone is free to mod the game to his liking, as long as he does not use his heavily modded (and possibly easier) game to "impress" others. What "cheating" is, is different for each player. I personally never reload after losing a battle or a having a city flipped (as that would spoil my satisfaction coming from the eventual victory), but I may reload if I just forget to do something that was obvious, that I wanted to do, but simply forgot to (like waking up and moving a fortified unit).

I do admit that I frequently quit games that are "not going well" or are not fun to play (geography related issues). As someone else stated (was it Arrian?), I find no joy in torturing myself with a game I know I have lost. And... well, I bow to the AI patiency - I have never seen it behave the same way...
Old September 12, 2002, 13:00   #22
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I only very seldom reload the game if something goes wrong (Though still I save every turn... I just can't stop doing it...)...

Though back in the days, I only seldom played games, were there wasn't a trainer included (Remember back in the Civ1 days, where someone made a trainer, were you could just press "Help" (It was an Amiga), and then you got 100 gold to "help" you )... Though I stopped cheating a few years ago (That means, I've almost stopped completely... but it still happens from time to time...but very seldom...)...

Though when talking about MP: I just HATE when people are cheating in MP... of course, unless everyone knows that someone is cheating (Might be because that person is a newbie, and everyone else has played the game tons of times... or someone just want to test something...)
Old September 12, 2002, 13:10   #23
Bangedup
Chieftain

If you cheat at single player you only cheat yourself. The AI cannot be injured by your actions, but perhaps by subverting the negative reinforcement of failure one denies him/herself the priceless gift of wisdom.
Old September 12, 2002, 15:43   #24
Demerzel
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Bangedup
If you cheat at single player you only cheat yourself. The AI cannot be injured by your actions, but perhaps by subverting the negative reinforcement of failure one denies him/herself the priceless gift of wisdom.
Quote:
Originally posted by ninot
cheating is the invention of the devil

the easy way out, with no hard work, and no lessons learnt.
heh, you guys make me laugh with your holier than thou attitudes.

"oh no, they reloaded the game to avoid something that had really dropped the fun quotient for them! BURN THE WITCHES! THEY'RE EVIL!"

sheesh! some peeps.

a tip for peeps like you, rearrange the following sentence and apply it to yourselves:

"life get a"
Old September 12, 2002, 16:42   #25
vmxa1
Deity

Demerzel, hum me thinks thou does protest too much. Got something that you are ashamed off? If someone feels X or Y is wrong and you do not, that does not make them the scum of the earth.
Old September 12, 2002, 19:01   #26
Demerzel
Warlord

I'm not the one accusing others of cheating on the flimsiest of pretexts.

I play games to enjoy myself and if a game isn't fun I won't play it. If a game could be fun through modifications then I'll do it. Strangely enough I like to relax when playing games not get more tense or stressed.

If you find that cheating then so be it. Just don't feel it necessary to inflict your views on me by calling me a 'cheater'.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Old September 12, 2002, 23:31   #27
vmxa1
Deity

I am with out sin as I feel everything I do is fine. If you don't believe it , just ask me. I mean what is the crap about sin?
Old September 13, 2002, 02:45   #28
The Puny Celt
Settler

Going through all your replies (thanks for your input) has unfortunately confirmed what I feared - that my pathetic cheating puts me in the minority.

And now I'm worried. Sure I can say: it's only a game, and who am I harming by a little cheating, but is this just the first step in a downward spiral into moral depravity? It starts with cheating at a computer game, but what's next? Do I start cheating on my partner ("If she never finds out who's going to get hurt?")? Or maybe some Social Security fraud ("it's just a drop in the bucket for the govt, who's it hurting?"). And 12 months from now I'm selling crack to schoolkids and holding up 7-11 stores.

I think I need some help. Does anyone know of some PC Cheaters Anonymous or other support group I can get in touch with?
Old September 13, 2002, 03:34   #29
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Puny Celt
Going through all your replies (thanks for your input) has unfortunately confirmed what I feared - that my pathetic cheating puts me in the minority.

And now I'm worried. Sure I can say: it's only a game, and who am I harming by a little cheating, but is this just the first step in a downward spiral into moral depravity? It starts with cheating at a computer game, but what's next? Do I start cheating on my partner ("If she never finds out who's going to get hurt?")? Or maybe some Social Security fraud ("it's just a drop in the bucket for the govt, who's it hurting?"). And 12 months from now I'm selling crack to schoolkids and holding up 7-11 stores.

I think I need some help. Does anyone know of some PC Cheaters Anonymous or other support group I can get in touch with?
Celt, man, just organize yourself! Things are not that bad! I am regularly driving faster that what the law allows me, but I still consider myself a good guy... There is a long way between reloading turns in Civ3 and selling crack to... OMG... some schoolkids.

The great thing about computer games is that if you "cheat" in them, it really hurts nobody. Not even yourself, if you do not feel bad about it... Just make sure you do not extend the cheating beyond the game and you will be ok... Games are meant to be fun and whatever it takes for you to have fun with a game, is fine.

OK, I know you were kidding...
Anyway, I will cross my fingers for you!
Old September 13, 2002, 04:01   #30
dirtywhiteman
Settler

Hi, this is my first post here, I just wanted to add something about cheating.

I am very much against cheating in multiplayer games. I have never used a cheat in any of the MP games I have played.

However, in single player my stance is different. In Diablo2 or Dungeon siege for instance (two of the games I played in the last few years), I enjoy breaking the monotony of normal games with a little maxed-out-levels ass kicking. It can be fun to steamroll through a room of high level monsters without even getting scratched. But you have to keep in mind once you start cheating, the normal game will seem boring. Now that you've seen everything and found all the sweet items, what motivates you to spend hours finding it all the hard way? The same applies to all games- if you cheat, fine, but don't be disappointed with the game when you get bored after 3 days. I for one try to hold off on using any cheat/bug in games that I want to enjoy playing for at least a couple months. When you're poor, you dont want to always have to buy new games