Old September 10, 2002, 22:55   #1
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If we get a GL, what shall we do with him
We are currently involved in a fierce war with persia. We have 5 elite units that will soon enter combat. There is a chance we will get a gl, if so what shall we do with him.
I see 2 real options
1)Build Forbidden palace
2)Build Wonder( Sun Tsu War Academy comes to mind)
This is the thread to make your feelings known.
Aggie
Old September 10, 2002, 23:01   #2
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

PALACE!

I need something to be my eternal tomb
Old September 10, 2002, 23:09   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:47
Great Wonder if one is available, Army if not, as a victorious army will trigger our ability to build more Small Wonders including the Heroic Epic which increase GL probability.
Old September 10, 2002, 23:17   #4
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 03:47
Army first.
Then a great wonder (leo's soon!!!)
Hold on to him for another great wonder
then a small wonder if people insist on using
then a palace jump if the people will

Any use other than an army first, or all great wonders after is a waste IMO

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 10, 2002, 23:24   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Army first.
Then a great wonder (leo's soon!!!)
Hold on to him for another great wonder
then a small wonder if people insist on using
then a palace jump if the people will

Any use other than an army first, or all great wonders after is a waste IMO
If we hold on to him we miss the chance of generating another GL.
Old September 10, 2002, 23:47   #6
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

With a GL you only get one at a time. I was thinking the Sun Tsu war acadeny personally, then if we got pyramids we would have granary/barracks in each city, thenour next gl builds an fp in persia. Just a suggextion, yes i know some of it is dreaming, but we can hope.
Aggie
Old September 11, 2002, 00:35   #7
Donal Graeme
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 23:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I would like to have the Sistine Chapel myself. Think about it: Doubling the effect of Cathedrals...

However, to be realistic, we should create an army. That would enable us to build the Heroic Epic and eventually the Military Academy, and thus create more heroes.
Old September 11, 2002, 01:30   #8
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:47
An Army... I'm not sure. We could use a GW like Sun Tzu right now.
Old September 11, 2002, 01:41   #9
Torkkeli
Warlord

Local Time: 09:47
Well it depends on when we get it. If we get it very soon then build an army, as we could use one in our war against the Persians. But if we get it later then perhaps Forbidden Palace or a Wonder.

Anyhow I think this calls for a poll...
Old September 11, 2002, 01:43   #10
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Yes, it sure does, but what ministery is it under?
Old September 11, 2002, 01:59   #11
Torkkeli
Warlord

The Ministery of Great Leaders

Like we need another ministery...

No seriously this could be a joint decision between the military and publicworks or something.... with Prez.

Although the result would be military wanting an Army and pubicworks or something wanting a wonder... So in the end it is up to the President to decide.
Old September 11, 2002, 02:08   #12
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

I am not going to worry about it unless it happens. 5 Elites in battle still only gives 5 independent tries at 1/16 each. Nothing to get to excited about. I still remember my first GL; created in a defensive attack that killed him the same turn he was created. It was a medium sized defensive group, but the AI concentrated on it as soon as the GL was created; he didn't have a chance.
Old September 11, 2002, 02:42   #13
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
I am not going to worry about it unless it happens. 5 Elites in battle still only gives 5 independent tries at 1/16 each. Nothing to get to excited about. I still remember my first GL; created in a defensive attack that killed him the same turn he was created. It was a medium sized defensive group, but the AI concentrated on it as soon as the GL was created; he didn't have a chance.
Poor Leader.
Old September 11, 2002, 03:30   #14
Torkkeli
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
This is exactly what happened to my first GL!
I was at war with the Zulus and landed my forces on a mountain beside a city. Before my turn came they had attacked the mountain some dozen times giving me a leader and destroying it. Then I decided it was time to sue for peace.
Old September 11, 2002, 04:51   #15
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Yes, it sure does, but what ministery is it under?
The Ministry of Silly Walks
Old September 11, 2002, 06:47   #16
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

Build an army. It would give chances to build Heroic Epic...and further GLs

It's too early to build a FP, our territry could enhance in the future and we don't know yet the best place for it.
IMHO, building the FP in the Uber Isle isn't a good idea.
Old September 11, 2002, 06:57   #17
Vlad Antlerkov
King

Move the palace to a more central location (say Gaia, Banana HQ, or Del Monte, maybe Termina or Tassagrad).

Alternatively, use it to build an army to get the Heroic Epic. (Also, isn't Sun-Tzu under construction in Apolytonia?)
Old September 11, 2002, 09:03   #18
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by astrologix
It's too early to build a FP, our territry could enhance in the future and we don't know yet the best place for it.
IMHO, building the FP in the Uber Isle isn't a good idea.
I fully agree, I think the FP should be in Timeline or Gaia as it would be permanent and the Palace could jump to Uber or Persia and then jump somewhere else later as its portable.
Old September 11, 2002, 09:09   #19
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Build an army and win a battle with that army so we can build the Heroic Epic and get leaders MUCH more often.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 11, 2002, 09:19   #20
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:47
Rather than being a straight choice between palace, acadamy or wonder were going to have to look at the details.

Before any decision is made were going to have to formalize a plan for FP and Palace. So that we can look at what effect using a leader for this would have.

Then we have to look at our long term plans for wars. If were going to continue being as war like as we are now then an acadamy is a better idea.

We also need to look at how specific wonders would effect our long term plans.

Once we see how the Perisan war is going to end up (after the next turns perhaps) the CP should begin discussions and come to a final decision on palace and FP.
Old September 11, 2002, 09:54   #21
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:47
Perhaps all we can do is wait until we actually GET one and see what options are available to us then.

I would favour an Army if we are to continue pushing a war (eg the Persian war) for the Heroic Epic. If we are to stop the war, then it is FP/Wonder, but what chance is there that we will get to start a WoW before someone else has almost finished? The only way would be to sit and develop for a while so we could catch up techwise. FP? Only if we had the immediate benefit that we could place it, or relocate the Palace, so that an advantage is created. Until Uber Island is almost fully settled and has a few cities of >5 or so I don't think there would be enough of an advantage. Uber Island is pretty close to Apolyton, thus it won't be very corrupt until we reach an appreciable sixe there.

Basically it depends on when we get the GL. We don't want to hold on to one GL for very long unless we are fully at peace, as it prevents us from getting others.

Wait and see...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 11, 2002, 13:58   #22
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:47
The immeadeate desicion is that....
We need to consider WHAT we will do with a GL. Do we:
1) use him immeadeately for something (i.e. Army, GW, FP). This will be desided during a turnchat.
2) hold on to him and wait until the turnchat has ended and deside what we will do with him in the forums. This will require safegarding him/moving him towards the best place he needs to be.

These are the questions that NEED to be answered at this point in time.

E_T
Old September 11, 2002, 15:29   #23
GePap
Emperor

I would vote to get Sun Tzu's academy fast. One of our main advantages in battle is the lack of enenmy veterans. We start every battle with a 4 on 3 HP advantage, which helps immensely. An I civ who gets Sun Tzu's academy will negate this advantage, plus make it cheaper for them to upgrade and easier. In short, any AI who gets this will be a strong military opponent long term. I is very possible that either the Romeor the Aztecs might get it, in their capitols, which are very far away by both land and sea, which would make a quick strike to take it out difficult.

The AI getting Sun Tzu will make our life harder- better to stop this, and gain the benefits for ourselves. I think this is a better use of any possible GL, if gotten in time, than a long term aim of getting more GL's in the future. Also, more veterans for the enemy, more elites, more possible GL's for the militaristic AI's around us (Germany, Aztecs)
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 11, 2002, 15:46   #24
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

You're absolutely right. I've changed my mind - first Sun Tzu's Art of War, then an army and the Heroic Epic.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 11, 2002, 16:23   #25
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Fully agree, if Sun Tzu is still available build it immediately. I DO NOT advocate storing GLs. They should be used as instantly as possible to allow the potential generation of another.

I think the record is 8 GL's in one turn. Forgot who it was that attained it though.
Old September 11, 2002, 16:31   #26
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 07:47
use him fast ASLONG it is not for an army! they wont be handy until we have OR knight OR cavalary
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old September 11, 2002, 16:35   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
use him fast ASLONG it is not for an army! they wont be handy until we have OR knight OR cavalary
Just because we build an Army, doesn't mean we have to fill right away.

I usually have several empty armies, standing around (course I never put a unit into an army until it's generated a GL) they come in handy as Not So Great Leaders as you can dispand them for a huge boost to the city's production.
Old September 11, 2002, 16:51   #28
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:47
When you disband an empty army, how big is the boost to the city production? How many shields?
Old September 11, 2002, 16:58   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
When you disband an empty army, how big is the boost to the city production? How many shields?
How many shields does it take to build one?

I'm not sure what the ratio is, but they always finished what I was building. Except one time I was building a Palace, and it knocked the construction time down to 2 turns.
Old September 11, 2002, 17:02   #30
Robber Baron
Prince

I say an army, to generate the Heroic Epic. We are just coming towards a real sweet spot as far as wonders is concerned -- with Leo's, Sistine, Copernicus, etc. in to be built in the near future. Our best hope at these prizes is increasing the rate of leader generation. Given our situation, it looks to me like we can expect a series of wars ahead (precipitated by our central position and our aggressive neighbors -- not necessarily by unilateral aggression on our part). Meaning, lots of battles ahead. We stand to generate 2 or 3, maybe more leaders, if we play this right.
Sun Tzu's is a nice wonder to have -- but not irreplaceable. If we don't get it, we simply have to build more barracks (though it would be a shame to see it in the hands of a dangerous rival, as it makes conquest of a target civ far more costly).
No, we need to plan for the long term. That means either the Forbidden Palace (which we don't really need yet, as corruption is not yet crippling our productivity), and the Heroic Epic, which will pay off handsomely in the long run.