Old September 11, 2002, 09:17   #1
Thrar
Warlord

Local Time: 07:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
problem with locusts?
has it occured to anyone else before that locusts of chiron only move 1 tile per turn? Not sure about the AI controlled ones, but mine behave just like the chopper u can find at the Unity (btw is there any point in returning that one to a base like it says?).
I recall distantly that this wasnt always like it is now, is there a way to fix it? I'm running SMAX with latest patch btw.
Old September 11, 2002, 09:23   #2
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 02:49
They move 8 squares. You appear to have somehow edited its unit characteristics in the game text files. Someone with more knowlege of where it is should be able to help you edit it back.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old September 11, 2002, 10:17   #3
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Furthermore, in my unmodded game, the scout chopper found in the Unity wreckage has a movement of 8...just like any other SAM/fission chopper. If you modded choppers, you would have effected both that scout chopper and the locusts, I think.
Old September 11, 2002, 10:21   #4
Clear Skies
Prince

Add me to the list Both locusts and the scout chopper move 8 squares per turn. My SMAC remains persistently unmodde except to correct that damn misspelling in 'U.N. Aquisition'.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old September 11, 2002, 11:29   #5
Thrar
Warlord

now this puzzles me...
while I remember that some months or even years ago (back in SMAC i think) I had locusts moving 8 tiles per turn, iirc it only happened once to me that the unity chopper moved more than 1 turn, and i still dont understand why.
I installed the game from nothing (no old saves etc, clean folder, havent played for some months) maybe 2 weeks ago, installed the patch from the firaxis site, and the only line I changed was disableopeningmovie=1.

Today was the first time I tried locusts after that installation, and as I feared they only move 1 tile (I remember having had that before, despite saying ?-?-8). The unity chopper I got some days ago only moved 1 tile too, but I thought that was normal...never experienced anything different. Now what I dont understand is that one time, it moved 3 tiles! No idea why, it doesnt have something to do with roads, and I have not been able to reproduce that.
The only thing that may be different with my installation is the language, I have both SMAC and SMAX in german, and also installed the german patch.
Old September 11, 2002, 13:59   #6
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Thrar, maybe PM Dreifels for help. I think he runs the German versions of both SMAC and SMAX, and I don't ever remember him having the problem you describe.
Old September 11, 2002, 21:15   #7
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 00:49
I recall this "bug" as having been discussed in alt.games.firaxis.alpha-centauri. A Google search turned up:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...de%26rnum%3D38

(Hope this link shows up clearly. )

This thread also involved the German edition, so that may be the problem.
Old September 12, 2002, 02:26   #8
xeno7667
Prince

Known problem only in german version: look this: http://www.aliencrossfire.de/down/how-to.html
Old September 12, 2002, 20:08   #9
Thrar
Warlord

thanks for your help, that seems to be exactly what happened to me, so i think it should be solved now .
I'm really looking forward to finding another unity chopper now...