Old September 11, 2002, 14:25   #1
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thought Exersize: Placement of FP & moving the palace
I'm starting this thread because we need to start to consider this issue. This discussion assumes that we DO NOT get ANY GL's in the forseeable future.

The conjecture:
All of the contenent of Anabanana belongs to us. We own it & Uber Island. All of the cities that are currently on the map will not be moved.

The Question for discussion:
Where should our FP & Palace be to have the best (i.e. most efficient) coverage to reduce corruption.

Give the answer in two forms: 1) with the palace staying where it's at (senerio #1) and 2) with the Palace moving (senerio #2).

(Conjecture #2) We only expand 2 city bands outward after Onion Plan #1 (start at Apolyton and draw a line to the furtherest city from it. Move two city squares further out, then draw a circle from that radius. that is two city bands outward). Where should the FP/Palace be for this senerio. {Aro, could we have a Map of this}

Senerio #'s 3 and 4 will be the same as #1 & #2 above for Conjecture #2

This is a long term discussion (at least the next two weeks) and who currently owns the above mentioned property shouldn't come into the discusion. This will help us IF we do get a GL and use him for the FP. Get to work.

E_T
Old September 11, 2002, 14:32   #2
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:50
Forbidden Palace in Timeline.

Palace rotates to various central positions to allow cities in the area to build infrastructure then rotates somewhere else.

In war, Palace rotates the optimal area for military production and support.

Palace Rotational sites:
Eventually central capital of "Whales Colony" (Uber Island)
Pasgarde
Central city in the Roman subcontinent.
Central city around the current German/Aztec border

Remember FP is PERMANENT, the Palace is MOVEABLE.
Old September 11, 2002, 15:32   #3
GePap
Emperor

I have never tried such a strategy. The palace is very expensive. Can it be moved so casually about in any useful amount of time?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 11, 2002, 15:54   #4
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:50
Maybe not. It's a strategy for long term, and we need to plan carefully. I changed the palace sometimes in my games, and I’ve got an incredible gain in production. Later in the game, we will be able to change the palace location in 20 turns or less. In the industrial era, of course. Before that, it takes too much time.
The Ghengis idea is interesting, I never thought in rotates the palace as a strategy, but sounds doable.
By now, if we going to change the palace, we have to think in a definitive place (at least for a loooong time...), and we need the FP first.
Old September 11, 2002, 16:19   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Basically you build one region at a time. For example, we'd start with Uber and once we've got it's improvements caught up it would move to the second region where the palace site started working on the Palace many turns before.

It's much cheaper than hurrying everything with money.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; September 11, 2002 at 20:48.
Old September 11, 2002, 16:30   #6
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I remember seeing in a strategy thread somewhere that the optimal distance between the FP and the Palace is 25. I don't remember if anyone proved it or refuted it (without a proper cheat mode, these things take time) but it does sound right. Of course, did it take into account the world size, I don't know. Anyone know diferently?

E_T
Old September 11, 2002, 18:49   #7
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:50
Quote:
Originally posted by E_T

The conjecture:
All of the contenent of Anabanana belongs to us. We own it & Uber Island. All of the cities that are currently on the map will not be moved.

The Question for discussion:
Where should our FP & Palace be to have the best (i.e. most efficient) coverage to reduce corruption.

Give the answer in two forms: 1) with the palace staying where it's at (senerio #1) and 2) with the Palace moving (senerio #2).

(Conjecture #2) We only expand 2 city bands outward after Onion Plan #1 (start at Apolyton and draw a line to the furtherest city from it. Move two city squares further out, then draw a circle from that radius. that is two city bands outward). Where should the FP/Palace be for this senerio. {Aro, could we have a Map of this}

Senerio #'s 3 and 4 will be the same as #1 & #2 above for Conjecture #2

E_T
I just read your post, I'll try. Will take some time, I have a tactical map to make first...
Old September 11, 2002, 19:18   #8
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:50
move the Palace to Del Monte, and place the FP in a conquered Persia.

and for good measure

Never Forget 9/11/2001
Old September 12, 2002, 05:34   #9
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
move the Palace to Del Monte, and place the FP in a conquered Persia.

and for good measure

Never Forget 9/11/2001

Palace in del monte and FP in Tass.
Old September 12, 2002, 06:31   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Del Monte is so important it needs a Palace for itself and Chiquita?

Why are those cities so important that we should ditch the entire rest of the empire just for them?

Centering our corruption on Del Monte seems an extreme waste of the palace.
Old September 12, 2002, 07:09   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:50
We need to decide on how soon we need the FP/Palace reshuffle. If, for example, we take Persia completely (what a fantastic dream!), we need one of them in Persia. Thius would be sufficient unitl we managed to COMPLETELY take either Rome or some other area of decent land. This will take a long time, possibly until the Industrial ages, when building the Palace can take only 20 turns or so as mentioned. Let us not worry about any "ultimate" position for the FP and Palace.

How about some slightly less long-term, bit more visible situations? If we take Persia, should we build the FP in 'Poly (the country, not the city) and relocate the Palace to Persia. Or do we want the FP in Persia, hoping to move the Palace somewhere better than 'Poly in the future? Or do we instead want one in Uber, one in Poly; or shall the Government abandon Poly completely and head to Persia and Uber?

Personally, I think that, should we manage to take Persia, we should build either the Palace or FP here, and have the other in Poly. That way we will be making the most out of what we have without waiting for some pie-in-the-sky perfect opportunity before reshuffling things. We should be realistic - if we get this chance, we seize it - we can't expect to take all the best areas we want.

One more thing - if the war with Persia goes badly and we need to make a quick peace, what then? Do we risk relocating the Palace and FP so that one is on Uber, one on the mainland, in order to max our production? I don't like this idea very much, especially since Uber is about as close to Poly as most of our other cities are, so it should be fairly productive for a while anyway. I'd much rather we waited till we got some decent land elsewhere before building the FP. Of course, if we are way behind and it is looking unlikely that we will manage to take ANYthing without the benefits of the FP, that is different, but it is ages away. Well, at least one age.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 12, 2002, 09:05   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I'll say it again "The Forbidden Palace is permanent the Palace is temporary."

We need to seriously plan where the FP is built as that is a PERMANENT capital. The Palace location is something that can be moved and argued and fought over but the FP is a very important decision and its location needs to be sizeable area that we will ALWAYS need to have low corruption.

I still think Timeline is good as it will cover Paris to Chicago(Olympus in Apolyspeak) to Ubergorsk and Seeberg to Another Glorious City.

Then the Palace can be located in recently conquered lands to facilitate the rapid construction of temples, cathedrals and the like.
Old September 12, 2002, 10:43   #13
E_T
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro

I just read your post, I'll try. Will take some time, I have a tactical map to make first...
Thanks! As this is a long term disscussion on this vital issue, it's no big rush. The map for the daily running of the kingdom have understandably higher presedent (sp).

E_T