View Poll Results: Next Tech?
Doctrine: Mobility 4 16.00%
Secrets of the Human Brain 10 40.00%
Industrial Base 10 40.00%
Applied Physics 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 11, 2002, 19:40   #1
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 04:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Official: Next Tech
i got the choices by holding all our units and skipping ahead till we finished social psych. i hope you dont consider that playing ahead. anywho, the choices for our next tech are:
  • Doctrine: Mobility - Command Center, Speeder (M2), Leads to Doctrine: Flexibility, Doctrine: Loyalty.
  • Secrets of the Human Brain - Hypnotic Trance, Fundamentalist, first faction to discover gains free tech leads to Neural Grafting, Centauri Empathy
  • Industrial Base - Synthmetal (D2), The Merchant Exchange, leads to Superconductor, Polymorphic Software, High Energy Chemistry, Industrial Economics
  • Applied Physics - Laser (A2) leads to Nonlinear Mathematics, High Energy Chemistry, Optical Computers

You have 5 days.
Old September 11, 2002, 20:49   #2
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

since this isn't the first post, i'm allowed to post a biased answer

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...52#post1274552 this is the thread showing how UNLIKELY it is that we will get secrets first.
Old September 11, 2002, 21:43   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:50
Technically it IS playing ahead, TKG.

An alternative is to look at your tech poster (I am facing mine now - scary innit? ) and figuring out, from the techs you have, which you have the prereqs for.

We have BioGen, InfoNet and CentEco, working on Social Psych.

Once we have SocPsy, we will have prereqs (if any) for
Applied Physics
Industrial Base
Secrets of the Human Brain
Planetary Networks
Ethical Calculus
Doctrine Mobility

which is a few more than what you got.

Thus playing ahead has mattered here. If we don't know we couldn't get some of these, we can best decide what to vote for. However, without knowing what we do now, we would vote for whatever we liked from the whole list of things we SHOULD be able to research. I don't see very much of a difference, but in future maybe we should just consult the tree,...?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; September 12, 2002 at 09:40.
Old September 12, 2002, 05:58   #4
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 07:50
agreeing with MWiA here
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old September 12, 2002, 09:38   #5
Gyromancer
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 02:50
The problem here is that age-old political science problem of setting the agenda for a vote. Suppose that 75% of the electorate want a tech that is peaceful-growth oriented, and there are four on the big list that are equally good. Also suppose that the other 25% want a conquer tech, and one really cool one shows on the big list.

What happens if you run the vote off the big list and then when the short list shows up there is only one of the growth techs on the list? only 18% of the voters chose that one, while 25% of the voters chose the conquer tech.

I think that if you dont play ahead to see the choices of tech (which may not be accurate if we pop a pod for a tech in the meantime....) you really need to phrase the poll in a way that takes into account the "big picture"

For example, make multiple polls: (these are simplified, but you should get the idea....)

#1 conquest/defense vs builder tech vs SE tech vs pure sci tech

#2 Choose favorite c/d tech from available ones

#3 choose favorite builder tech

#4 choose favorite SE tech

#5 choose favorite pure sci tech

Of course some techs will show up on multiple lists. (so those diehard warriors will still have something to vote for in the builder tech poll..) In the end, it is a representative democracy, so the representative has the final say in interpreting the results. (Which could still be ambiguous...) If the people don't like how he is doing, they can always vote to get rid of him.....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"
Old September 12, 2002, 09:44   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

We need a second choice poll, or take the one with the second highest votes in the case the preferred one is absent from our choices.

In the Civ2 game (where of course not every tech we can get is guaranteed to be available at any time), we polled on a tech path, and had a backup. That way polling could happen once and last several turns easily, and we would have second choices that were nearly certain to arise.

Old September 12, 2002, 12:58   #7
Diablero
Chieftain

I want to stress the importance of being ahead in technology to anyone who hasn't yet voted.

Vote for the Secrets!

"The universe is wider than our views
of it" -Henry David Thoreau
Old September 12, 2002, 14:12   #8
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:50
Going SotHB will actually get us behind in tech as some AI will probably already research that tech in the 2130's, denying us the Secrets bonus.

Vote for the Industries!
Old September 12, 2002, 15:29   #9
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Once we have SocPsy, we will have prereqs (if any) for
Applied Physics
Industrial Base
Secrets of the Human Brain
Planetary Networks
Ethical Calculus
Doctrine Mobility

which is a few more than what you got.
this what happened in the last poll (the one that got closed ). most people voted for psych, but it would not have been on the list of available techs after ecology, so i repolled it. if we had gotten to the point where we had to pick, and psych wasn't on the list, then what would we have done?

Diablero-secrets is NOT a good choice . with -1 efficiency, what chances do you think we have VS the university, or morgan?

EDIT: MWIA, read your most recent post. are you saying that we should do a second poll with the complete list? if you are, i agree
Old September 13, 2002, 09:03   #10
Diablero
Chieftain

I'm willing to admit the flaws in my argument.

What happens if there is a tie?

"The universe is wider than our views
of it" -Henry David Thoreau
Old September 13, 2002, 09:52   #11
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 08:50
Tricky, this one. Oh well, voted.
Old September 13, 2002, 10:06   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG

EDIT: MWIA, read your most recent post. are you saying that we should do a second poll with the complete list? if you are, i agree
Yes indeed I am.

Isn't it great when the Bureaucrats all agree on something productive?

Old September 13, 2002, 20:51   #13
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 01:50
Let's see...my personal opinion is that it'd be highly unlikely that we'd get Secrets of the Human Brain first, so I'd suggest that instead we try for Industrial Base. This will give us Synthmetal Armor, which I calculate would make a nice addition to our armory, as it is, after all, of a much better quality than what we have right now...which is nothing...And it would certainly do very well in defense and offense. I think we should try for it.
Old September 13, 2002, 22:00   #14
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 17:50
I say Industrial Base, as the pre-requisite for an industrial economy.
Old September 14, 2002, 10:53   #15
Method
Emperor

excellent choices, both of you. now, if only people would stop voting for secrets
Old September 16, 2002, 19:56   #16
Method
Emperor

poll closed, and there's a tie. do i get to pick?
/me is overwhelmed by a sudden sense of power
Old September 16, 2002, 20:14   #17
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

TKG-- OK...here's a fiver...pick Industrial Base...
Old September 16, 2002, 23:26   #18
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 18:50
I voted before a lot of the argument came in.

Change my vote to Industrial Base.
Problem solved.
Old September 17, 2002, 11:13   #19
lucky22
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 07:50
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
I don't see very much of a difference, but in future maybe we should just consult the tree,...?
Chiming in rather late here, but I also fully agree with MWIA.
Old September 17, 2002, 11:14   #20
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

So, which is it? ... please say industrial base
Old September 17, 2002, 11:23   #21
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

The Director decides in a draw.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:02   #22
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

-1 Efficency does not play any Role at the Current GameState
Old September 17, 2002, 17:49   #23
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 03:50
Main_Brain: Incorrect. At 80% Research, a 0 Efficiency faction can get new techs faster than with Research and Econ at parity. A -1 Efficiency faction cannot. (Based on early-game comparisons of the Data Angels and Peacekeepers.)
Old September 17, 2002, 19:21   #24
Method
Emperor

industrial base it is
Old September 17, 2002, 19:43   #25
History Guy
King

Ah, splendid. I'm buying you a drink at the Rec Commons, TKG.