Old September 12, 2002, 02:25   #1
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Damaged versus destroyed buildings!!
One thing that I'd like in PtW (or a future expansion) but which I would not consider essential would be the possibility of bombardments having a chance of only damaging an improvement! This chance would be based on the bombardment strength of the unit, and whether the building is a small wonder, wonder or improvement. If it is damaged, then it would be indicated by a marker, and it would either not function, or be at only half strength. The buiilding, however, would still continue to produce it's original culture/turn (if applicable), this would help simulate the effects of such buildings as the Colluseum in Rome or the Parthenon in Greece! Repairing a building would also cost less than replacing it outright, but would require gold instead of shields. If you chose to replace it outright, then any accumulated culture would be lost! Great Wonders, however, can only be repaired, not replaced!
Anyway, that's my idea-I'd be interested to hear what people think.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old September 12, 2002, 10:23   #2
Martinus Magnificus
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:51
I think it would be rather difficult to implement, and IMO it wouldn't really improve gameplay. To put it in other words: Firaxis would never do it. It is not something I miss either. I would like to see many things changed, but this isn't one of them.

Yours, M.M.

Last edited by Martinus Magnificus; September 12, 2002 at 23:33.
Old September 12, 2002, 10:32   #3
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 09:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Martinus Magnificus
IMO it wouldn't really improve gameplay.
I agree. Civ is just too abstracted to simulate damaged buildings. Plus, who wants to micromanage one more aspect of the game, especially that it doesn't really add much fun to it.
--Woody Allen
Old September 12, 2002, 10:37   #4
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Re: Damaged versus destroyed buildings!!
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
The buiilding, however, would still continue to produce it's original culture/turn (if applicable), this would help simulate the effects of such buildings as the Colluseum in Rome or the Parthenon in Greece!
This is already simulated: if you lose a colloseum, you don't lose the culture points the colloseum had produced until destruction. So, if you rebuild the colloseum, you basically lose only the culture points for the years in which the colloseun was beeing repaired/reconstructed.
--Woody Allen
Old September 12, 2002, 11:13   #5
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

but with smart weapon's it could be possible to choose the object of destruction, e.g. hospital, barracks... maybe with a 40% chance of really destroying it (damage would be too difficult to program)
Old September 12, 2002, 12:05   #6
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Im sure this feature is in Call to Power 2
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old September 12, 2002, 12:37   #7
Tiberius
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
but with smart weapon's it could be possible to choose the object of destruction, e.g. hospital, barracks... maybe with a 40% chance of really destroying it (damage would be too difficult to program)
Now that's a good idea.
--Woody Allen
Old September 12, 2002, 13:18   #8
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

Local Time: 03:51
The easiest way to simulate that would be to allow the improvement to be re-built at half price. Big deal.
Old September 12, 2002, 18:56   #9
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 07:51
Thanks for the input guys!

As I said in my original message, I know it's know big deal, and it really wouldn't add anything significant to the game, but it was just one of those ideas which comes to you in a quiet moment!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old September 12, 2002, 21:35   #10
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by playshogi
The easiest way to simulate that would be to allow the improvement to be re-built at half price. Big deal.
This would do the trick
And maybe? this isn't all that hard to implement/add.
Not that I think they will do it

It would be good though for (re)captured cities.
Old September 12, 2002, 23:32   #11
Martinus Magnificus
Chieftain

I always welcome creative ideas like yours, Aussie_lurker! I tend to approach things from the realistic point of view though. That's why I think these discussione are rather pointless. Game concepts are only changed by programmers when something is really flawed... IMO this is not the case. Creative thinking is always appreciated though!
Old September 13, 2002, 01:28   #12
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:51
Rebuilding of improvements for a reduced cost is a great idea.