Old September 12, 2002, 02:43   #1
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ixnay37's Demo Reviews: Spring Break
Since I'm on my high speed network, and I seem to be downloading plenty of game demos and then posting links here and sharing what I think, I've decided to make this a regular feature to let you know which demos you ought to download and which you should avoid. Today's demo is Spring Break:

http://www.pcgameworld.com/details.php/id/3183

158 MB

This demo could probably be used to demonstrate, "how not to make a successful demo." The game describes itself as "Tropico meets MTV," in which you have to build up an island resort to keep your spring breakers and partiers happy. The demo includes one small level. I found it to be incredibly confusing, considering that there is no game documentation included and no tutorials or in-game help. It just drops you in the level and expects that you know what to do. Once I figured out the interface, I found the game to be not much more than finding space for buildings, and building them. Repeat enough to fulfill your objectives and that's about it. You can measure your guests happiness and hunger (a la Roller Coaster Tycoon), but there wasn't really any reason to do so. Occasionally a guest would be eaten by a shark, which seemed to have no effect on my resorts popularity or my guest's willingness to swim around blindly.

In short: I found this demo to be dull and confusing, and was ultimately left with no desire to try out the full game.

Old September 13, 2002, 18:10   #2
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:51
Yeah, but does it have crazy coeds going wild?
Old September 13, 2002, 18:20   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Well, the main selling point it advertises when you exit the game is "Hold wet tshirt contests on your island in the full retail version!" Not too much wild stuff going on in the demo (at least, I never saw anything).
Old September 13, 2002, 21:26   #4
tniem
King

Local Time: 02:51
I can't believe you actually gave this game a try. Keep 'em coming.
Old September 13, 2002, 21:43   #5
ixnay
Emperor

Yeah, the next week or so should be nice, with both Unreal Tournament 2K3 and No One Lives Forever 2 demos scheduled to come out . You can be sure I'll grab them as soon as possible.

edit: UT2K3 demo out and I have it. I'm venturing off to play it now, review should be up tomorrow.

Last edited by ixnay; September 14, 2002 at 03:24.