shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The history of New Apolytonia
Prelude

[COLOR=royal blue]
A long time ago (in about 4000BC) a wandering tribe of nomads discovered a large ruin. This ruin must have been there for thousands of years and wasn’t like anything they had ever seen before. They send out their bravest men to explore this mysterious by forest overgrown ancient city and waited both excited and afraid for their return.
10 days later their men returned, none of them were harmed, which immediately convinced them there weren’t any other tribes who lived in this ruin. The stories these brave men brought with them were even more amazing.
The ruin was even bigger then they expected, the men told it went all the way to the sea and there were even structures in the sea. They also told about buildings, which were so high that they touched clouds much higher then any bird could fly. On some places the ground between these buildings was harder then solid rock and a transparent material, which sealed perfectly square and round holes in the walls of these buildings, couldn’t be damaged with spears or even rocks thrown at it. This was truly a miraculous ruin.

After hearing all these fantastic stories the wise men of the tribe decided to go on a second expedition inside these ruins. Accompanied by the brave men they entered the ruins a few days later, to return safely to the tribe 40 days later.
When they returned they brought with them a large amount of strange objects, most of them were what we now call books, but back then these things had no name. There was only one problem, the wise men had no idea how to interpret these strange ideograms that filled most of the books, but they were deterred to figure it out.
The reason they gave was even more fantastic then the stories the brave men had told after the first mission…they spoke of a building that showed them what must have happened to the ruin before it became a ruin.
It had shown them enormous armies, of more then a 1000 times 1000 men which were fighting for some reason, strange machines hovering over the land and breathing fire. Other machines flying through the sky like birds, whose droppings caused enormous explosions.
And in the end there were images of strange looking spear like objects, that were moving through the sky over enormous distances, and were they came down they caused “a mushroom of death”, incinerating everything near the explosion. Further away where there was no fire an invisible hand crushed the birds and the machines in the sky. On the ground the soldiers just fell over and never stood up again.
All this time there had been a voice that spoke words they didn’t understand, even after the third and fourth time they entered the building and saw these images and heard the voice they didn’t know what the words meant.
The wise men were only sure about 1 thing: There must have been a very advanced civilization a long time ago and it got destroyed in a war. They called this civilization Apolytonia(because this was one word the voice had said repeatedly).

In order to be able to study the ruins and understand more about this long gone civilization the elder decided to found a village on the grasslands east of the ruins.
It was named Melfort and from now on the people would call their tribe New Apolytonia.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by shade; September 15, 2002 at 18:52.
Old September 14, 2002, 09:36   #2
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 01:59
nice
Old September 14, 2002, 09:55   #3
shade
King

more will come(but not today...)
John --> check PM
Old September 14, 2002, 17:03   #4
cavebear
Emperor

Local Time: 02:59
Interesting. So we are the rebirth of civilization?
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old September 14, 2002, 17:04   #5
cavebear
Emperor

BTW, very well written...
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old September 14, 2002, 20:33   #6
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:59
well done

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old September 14, 2002, 22:34   #7
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 09:59
More

Old September 15, 2002, 04:08   #8
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 18:59
very good!!!

and thank you
it looked like we would lose the history of our new nation
Old September 15, 2002, 04:45   #9
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
Interesting. So we are the rebirth of civilization?
Yep,I thought this was a usefull idea to make us the descendants of the previous Apolytonian empire,which got destroyed after a world wide civil war...(and it's a good reason to call us the "New Apolytonians"

Quote:
More
a little patience...I'm working on it...but from now on it has to be connected to the played game=takes a little longer to write.

thx to all

Shade
Old September 15, 2002, 06:07   #10
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Yep it's really nice and above all it helps a new man to the DG's like me to understand this whole thing better with a story in the background. Furthermore it adds much more atmosphere to the game.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old September 15, 2002, 08:10   #11
mrboo123
King

shade> check PM
Old September 15, 2002, 10:47   #12
shade
King

The birth of a new empire.

So here they were…ready for a new way of life, no more constantly moving around, looking for a place to stay for some months.But as always there were some people who weren’t ready to give up their nomadic way of life so they decided to keep traveling around a little longer. In order not to lose contact with the village they promised to stay in the area.

To keep the village life organized the people demanded some sort of government. Immediately an eager young man named 123John321,although everyone called him John, stepped forward and claimed he could lead the people out of the darkness into the light. His enthusiasm was so overwhelming no one could stand a chance against him in elections.
Of course his reign could not be an absolute one so he needed to listen to the advice he got from his cabinet of elected village elder.

After 2300 years, his reign came up on review and although the first reactions were quite positive, it almost cost him his head.
In these 2300 years he had accomplished to explore an enormous area and had lead his exploring troops into many battles with Barbarians, all of which he was victorious. He also led a diplomatic mission to a nearby advanced tribe whom he convinced to join our tribe. They were so impressed with his military achievements they didn’t hesitate to join. (How would you react yourself when you are face to face with an invincible army and you can choose to fight them or be protected by them?)
From that day on the city of Seville became part of what everybody started to call the New Apolytonian Empire.

To make sure his troops had a place to train in, he ordered the building of barracks nearby his village palace in Melfort. There, warriors, phalanxes and even horsemen were trained in the arts of war and exploration.

In the mean while, the village elder had been studying the books and objects they brought with them from the ruins. In order to do this more efficiently they invented the alphabet.
In their quest for knowledge and understanding they also developed a way to mimic the objects made of some kind of metal. They called it the art of bronze working and it didn’t take long before some of the enlisted men got the idea to make weapons using this technique. This allowed them to make stronger bronze helmets and shields for the defending troops that were called Phalanxes. It were also the same young men that created the art of horseback riding. This was the result of a bet, one of them was bragging he could easily fight and win from 4 warriors when seated on the back of a horse…although he lost his bet (the fourth warrior was to much ) some men started training like this and after a while they were able to fight of 4 or some of them even 5 warriors.

In spite of all these achievements there were some people who weren’t very happy. They complained John hadn’t send out people to settle new cities in the explored land and that he hadn’t asked for more advice from his cabinet earlier in his reign.
At a certain point it got so bad that the leader of the cabinet, VP Darkness’ Edge, had to put up a referendum for the people so they could decide if John would be impeached or not.
After numerous speeches defending and attacking John and a lot of spear tossing the final result was that John just made it with 52.38%. He could continue his reign but he would have to be very careful. After his reign, when his diaries were discovered we learned he really felt bad about the situation. He described how his feelings were tossing him around between anger and total despair. He lost all faith in himself during the impeachment-referendum and didn’t really believe it when he made it eventually.
After the dust settled and he again could count on the undivided support and help of his cabinet of village elder, he continued his reign.

Last edited by shade; September 15, 2002 at 18:53.
Old September 15, 2002, 10:51   #13
shade
King

The second part of despot John's reign.

To make sure nothing like the last time happened he let his reign be reviewed 725 years later. During this 725-year period John again led the people in the exploration of the world around them and discovered many new lands. He even discovered 2 new ruins, although smaller in size then the one in the woods near Melfort they were big in importance. In both ruins the old and wise men of the tribe discovered new books of knowledge. They learned from the drawings and ideograms, they already could decipher from the books from the Melfort ruin, how they could create maps of the explored territory. They also learned to mimic some of the techniques they saw on the images, using the materials they had at hand, to build temples and shrines for the gods and the ancestors, who guard and protect us in all we do.

He also encouraged, with help of the expansion minister, the people of Melfort and Seville to send out groups of brave young people to found new cities in the explored territory. Using the art of mapmaking this was now a lot easier and so 2 new cities were founded: “Cordoba” and “St.Praski”.
To make sure everybody would remember that Melfort was the most important city of all and home of the government, it was decided that it would be renamed to CAPITOL, in tradition of something the wise men, studying the ruins, had learned about the disappeared civilization.
To keep the empire in one piece John also ordered the creation of a road between CAPITOL (Melfort) and Seville and another road to connect St.Praski to Seville. These roads made it easier to travel from one city to another so problems could always be solved swiftly.

At this point the entire world the people of The New Apolytonian Empire knew was surrounded by liquid water. Except for one place where it was so cold the water was frozen solid. Because despot John wanted to explore, exploration was the one thing he really lived for, you could see his eyes glow with pride and ecstasy when he told about his expeditions with the troops, he ordered some of the bravest men to come with him and explore these icy lands. Because this would lead him to far away from CAPITOL to do his job decently the cabinet ordered him to stay at home while those brave men did the exploration. In an attempt to make this situation bearable for despot John they also ordered the men to send in yearly reports about their progress. John agreed with this plan although it made him really sad. The day the troops left CAPITOL for the exploration of the icy lands there were 5 men needed to restrain John from following them. The following weeks there didn’t pass a day the cabinet had to send out a search party to get despot John back.
Eventually John gave in and stayed in CAPITOL and did the job a leader does. The cabinet tried to comfort him as good as they could, even a blind man could see how sad he was. Every year he was excused from his duties during the 2 weeks the messengers of the explorers returned home to CAPITOL. During these 2 weeks he was constantly talking to these messengers, day and night without getting tired or hungry he listened, asked, listened and asked again. He wanted to know every detail and almost sucked the stories right out of them. These were the days you could hear him laugh throughout the entire palace.

When his reign was reviewed in the year 975BC, there were no complaints. Everybody was happy, except despot John. He couldn’t stand it any longer to stay at home, so far away from his troops exploring these new and unknown icy lands. Therefore he told the cabinet he wanted to step down and go join the explorers. He even had a name for a successor, but since The New Apolytonian Empire is a democratic society the cabinet insisted on elections.

So new elections were held, not only for the job of despot but also for all jobs in the cabinet. As soon as these elections were finished, John took his horse and raced after the last messenger returning to the exploring troops.

Here end's the reign of despot 123John321.

Last edited by shade; September 15, 2002 at 18:55.
Old September 15, 2002, 18:02   #14
mrboo123
King

Funny, because I'm realy fat and lazy, REALY LAZY!
Old September 15, 2002, 18:27   #15
Hydey
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321
I'm realy fat and lazy, really FAT.

Great work Shade , I look forward to reading the tales of despot Hydey

Old September 15, 2002, 18:50   #16
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by 123John321
Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
I'm realy fat and lazy, really FAT.
There are some things you may not know,
and there are some things you don't want to know.
These are of the later one

Quote:
Great work Shade , I look forward to reading the tales of despot Hydey
Give time and imagination it will grow and appear here when finished.

In the mean while for those who prefere a story without the smilies(it's a Word2000 doc...I hope this doesn't give many problems)

Shade
Attached Files:
File Type: zip history.zip (8.5 KB, 4 views)
Old September 16, 2002, 08:47   #17
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

shade --

I tip my cap, I raise my glass, I salute you for your fine efforts.

Knowing what it takes to do a proper history, I must report to all who see and read this that you have spent many hours combing through the forum threads, writing, and editing. The community of Civ2 Democracy owes you a debt of gratitude for your selfless devotion.

Well done, sir!!!

Quote:
I look forward to reading the tales of despot Hydey
(Actually, it will be King Hydey, since we finally becamy a monarchy.)

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old September 16, 2002, 09:10   #18
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
shade --

Quote:
I look forward to reading the tales of despot Hydey
(Actually, it will be King Hydey, since we finally becamy a monarchy.)
actually, to be entirely correct, it was despot Hydey and then became King Hydey
Old September 16, 2002, 18:43   #19
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
actually, to be entirely correct, it was despot Hydey and then became King Hydey
yep , so there will be festivities to celebrate it...

Shade
Old September 22, 2002, 10:28   #20
teic
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

and then queen Hydey
Old September 23, 2002, 08:56   #21
Hydey
Emperor

I think teic has a strang attraction to queens

Old September 23, 2002, 09:09   #22
mrboo123
King

you mean that he like peolpe like this????
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	funny.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	25392  
Old September 23, 2002, 09:12   #23
Hydey
Emperor

No I think he prefers them a little less happy and a little more gay.

Old September 23, 2002, 09:13   #24
mrboo123
King

Old September 26, 2002, 14:06   #25
teic
Chieftain

In your dreams
Old September 26, 2002, 16:39   #26
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 09:59
Certainly not our queen
Old October 11, 2002, 16:54   #27
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i topped this thread since it is the only historian thread i could find, but would it be better if someone (read: me) made a thread that contained only the history and none of the comments so that it would be easy to see all of the histories without going through pages and pages of people saying, "great job!".

of course the writers would get credit for their work and would make a thread for feedback from the citizens, but it would be nice to have a thread with only the history written
Old October 12, 2002, 07:57   #28
Bear
Warlord

Local Time: 07:59
Is shade still the historian?

Can citizens give their own writing? Not just about history.. fiction? "A report on the Apolytonian Youth literacy rates"?

Maybe someone should organise it
Old October 12, 2002, 08:00   #29
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear
When I find the time and space I'll continue writing(maybe this evening)

Shade
Old October 12, 2002, 08:15   #30
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 18:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Bear

Can citizens give their own writing? Not just about history.. fiction? "A report on the Apolytonian Youth literacy rates"?

Maybe someone should organise it
I did suggest a newspaper...any volunteers for editor?