Old September 15, 2002, 00:37   #1
RomanGod
Settler

Local Time: 08:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Barbarians Regenerate... Need help
I have the civ2earthtociv3 map, and after I take out a barbarian camp, it comes back. Also when I am about to reach the Middle Ages, hordes upon hordes of barbarian horsemen come out of nowhere. I have Civ3 1.29f, and barbarian level is set to roaming.... anyone got any ideas?
Old September 15, 2002, 01:10   #2
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 00:01
Quote:
I have the civ2earthtociv3 map, and after I take out a barbarian camp, it comes back.
They don't actually come back. A new one is planted. If you keep a unit in the area so you can see it they will have to plant somewhere else. I am pretty sure they are created by the galleys but not positive.

Untill ALL the land is covered so that at least one civ can see the land, encampments may continue to be established in areas that are subject to fog of war.

Those are encampments by the way and not goody huts. Goody huts are placed at the start of the game and do not respawn.

Quote:
Also when I am about to reach the Middle Ages, hordes upon hordes of barbarian horsemen come out of nowhere.
They don't come out of nowhere. They come from an encampment. Maybe from more than one. The raging hordes are triggered when a second civ crosses the era boundries. Any era boundry but usualy the barbarians are all gone by the end of the Middle Ages so you usually on see them at the AE/MAE transition. Its the second civ not the first and not you unless you happen to be the second civ that reaches the Middle Ages.

I am pretty sure that the encampments that spawn raging hordes will continue to do so every so often untill the encampment is destroyed. I seem to recall seeing more than one such horde anyway.

Just fill in all the land and it won't happen because the will nowhere left for a barbarian encampment to be placed.
Old September 15, 2002, 01:22   #3
Wormwood
Warlord

I understand that the huge barb invasions are triggered by a second civ that enters a new age, but does it always come from an encampment near that civ? I know I was still in the first age, when a horde came out after my cities. The camp was nowhere near any other civ.
Old September 15, 2002, 01:30   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:01
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I believe that all existing encampments issue hordes on the era changeover.

It's the barbarian hotline.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 15, 2002, 01:54   #5
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:01
They come out of every camp remaining on the map.
Old September 15, 2002, 02:01   #6
Ethelred
King

I wouldn't be surprised if it was all of them. There is a thread convering some of this where someone from Firaxis hinted aroung about and then posted the stuff about the second civ.

Found it. I only had to look at two pages of the search for Firaxis. Soren Johnson was the Firaxian.

Thread "The Best of the Best " starts here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1

His first post on this issue is on that page but its a tease.

Quote:
oh, and also (OT), I am curious if anyone has figured out the trigger for Barbarian Uprisings. It is not random in any way...
However he does stop teasing eventually.

Quote:
I'm afraid you are on the wrong track about Barbarian Uprisings. Try to think of it in "Global Historical Terms." Tell you what, if no one figures it out in a week, I'll come back and post the answer.

hey, I'd probably get fired if I started posting in the CtP forums. Well, maybe not, but I would certainly get some funny looks around here.
Hey I said eventually.

Some hints

Quote:
some more hints:

a barbarian uprising might not be caused by the human player...

the human player, in fact, might not even notice it...

it is, in fact, caused by the second time something happens...
More

Quote:
Try thinking in larger terms... it doesn't have anything to do with any particular city or any particular unit...
Soren finally drops the other shoe.

Quote:
ok, enough with the suspense!

barbarian uprisings are triggered the second time a civ enters a new age. (once for the middle ages, once for the industrial age, once for the modern age...) The intention was to basically simulate the barbarian hordes that knocked out Rome and (to a lesser degree) the Mongols. This made a little more sense back when barbarians were more destructive, but having half your civ knocked out for seemingly random reasons was deemed not much fun. Instead, we flipped the concept around and gave a temporal bonus (the Golden Age) instead of a temporal penalty.

I think DeepO gets the award for being the first to mention it...

Thats Soren's last post on the thread. You might want to read the whole thread as it covers other stuff.
Old September 15, 2002, 02:13   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:01
hmm, I remember this one, Soren the threadjacker
Old September 15, 2002, 03:10   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:01
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Aarrgh.

But worth it.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.