Old September 15, 2002, 03:47   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Some decisions to make for Uber Island exploration and settlement
From the chat, two issues presented themselves for the next play.

There is a new settler in Port Rouge. A Galley is headed to pick it up, and I assume take it to Uber Island. Is this the case or should we put it where Munich(?) was?

There is also a Galley on the W coast of Uber Island carrying a WC and a settler. Where should this go to drop these off? I think the WC should start with the Hut, and go E, then N.

In short, a start position for the WC needs to be decided upon, and we need to order the potential city site on Uber by preference. Thus we can settle a new city by the end of next turn and have a new settler brought over for OPD's first turns.

Let us commence the discussion.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 15, 2002, 06:00   #2
nz_upy
Warlord

Local Time: 08:01
Using this map from Genghis what would be the best way to go about colonisation?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	uberoneg.gif
Views:	136
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	24416  
Old September 15, 2002, 06:43   #3
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Re: Some decisions to make for Uber Island exploration and settlement
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
There is a new settler in Port Rouge. A Galley is headed to pick it up, and I assume take it to Uber Island. Is this the case or should we put it where Munich(?) was?
Who decided were taking it to uber isle?
The settler in port rouge was meant to fill the gap between chartes and rheims and was built soley for that purpose. We can build settlers in any city , the reason a stlr was built in rouge was cos it is the closest city to the site so that we can fill this gap before the french do so that all our territory is linked and to put more pressure onto chartes.

I thought I had some sort of understanding with Will but I wasn't in the chat so I don't know.
Old September 15, 2002, 07:09   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:01
Alright, it can still be for that purpose, as the Galley is nowhere near it yet. I wasn't sure - I think ada corrected me, but we weren't 100% whether this was still the best thing to do with Rome threatening Cherbourg.

If that's still the plan, then that's still the plan.

We just need to figure out what to do with the extra Galley now - perhaps we can get Mingapulco to start cranking out settlers for Uber Island and use it for ferrying them over?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 15, 2002, 08:40   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:01
I think Mingapulco's settlers should be used for New Munich, the gap between Timeline and Tassagrad, and the new Persian sites of New Sidon, and New Tyre.

The settler in the galley at Uber should go down to the bottom and claim the Iron and AGC should build up to mass produce the remaining settlers for Uber (4 more I think).

The galley should be used to ferry forces to the Persian front from Mingapulco.
Old September 15, 2002, 09:28   #6
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:01
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
The galley should be used to ferry forces to the Persian front from Mingapulco.
It's nearly just as fast to transport them by road. I'd rather use the galley for ferrying stuff to Uber Isle (if not settlers then workers or garrisons).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 15, 2002, 10:55   #7
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:01
I was thinking we should drop the wc near the wheat and procede southward, this way exploring the island the quickest possible way. My orders also reflect my view of ghengis's plan already(since I think most likely he will be MIE). Thats why I had the galley going southward along the coast. Also this way the galley could always drop off the settler if desired.
Aggie
Old September 15, 2002, 12:02   #8
Donal Graeme
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 00:01
Use the galley to shuttle people between the mainland and Uber Island. Troops heading to the front can go just as fast as the galley can, and the slighty shorter overal distance covered is made up by the fact they have to spend a turn high and dry after landing. I prefer making workers in AGC, while we ship settlers from Mingpaulco. Workers are 1/3 the minerals, which means 3 workers for the price of a single settler. Then we can build a temple.
Old September 15, 2002, 12:39   #9
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
Your proposed city sites look fine. But settle spot B before spot A - it'll grow faster.

Maybe we can explore the Hut in the following way: first, unload the WarChariot next to the Hut. Then, the following turn, move it to uncover the Hut's belongings. If barbarians step out, use the second movement point to move the WarChariot onto the Galley. The Barbarians will have to walk all the way north to AnotherGloriousCity if they ever want to hurt us. This gives us more time to prepare defense.

I used this tactic a lot in Civ 1 and 2. I don't actually know if it is still valid: does entering the Hut use up all your movement points ..?
Old September 15, 2002, 13:17   #10
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Here's an idea: settle site B, keep the WC there as garrison, build a warrior and go explore that hut. That same warrior can later move to spot D and wait for a settler to be dropped in to settle that spot.
EDIT: or we could build the warrior, keep him in site B and send the WC to the hut (because it moves faster and has better chances of survival against a barbarian if the hut does create one).
- Phantom of the Opera

Last edited by Shiber; September 15, 2002 at 13:23.
Old September 15, 2002, 13:49   #11
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

my vote goes to shiber`s idea!
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old September 15, 2002, 14:14   #12
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Explore the island ASAP. Same with popping the goody hut.
Old September 15, 2002, 17:41   #13
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:01
Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
Your proposed city sites look fine. But settle spot B before spot A - it'll grow faster.

Maybe we can explore the Hut in the following way: first, unload the WarChariot next to the Hut. Then, the following turn, move it to uncover the Hut's belongings. If barbarians step out, use the second movement point to move the WarChariot onto the Galley. The Barbarians will have to walk all the way north to AnotherGloriousCity if they ever want to hurt us. This gives us more time to prepare defense.

I used this tactic a lot in Civ 1 and 2. I don't actually know if it is still valid: does entering the Hut use up all your movement points ..?
No. One movement point to unload at the hut, the other to run, if necessary...
The BigFurryMonster's idea seems faster, IMHO. We can have the new city in five turns.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	goodhut2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	24454  
Old September 15, 2002, 17:50   #14
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

Don't risk the WC with this goody hut ! Use the WC to quickly explore the UberIsle... the goody hut can wait...
Old September 15, 2002, 17:58   #15
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

OK with the BigFurryMonster's idea
Old September 15, 2002, 18:08   #16
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

When did A and B become the priority city sites?

A was the last site to be settled and F was the first one.
Old September 15, 2002, 18:35   #17
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by astrologix
Don't risk the WC with this goody hut ! Use the WC to quickly explore the UberIsle... the goody hut can wait...
I wouldn't call that a risk at all. First of all, the WC has an attack of two, whereas the barbarian warrior that might be spawned out of the hut will have an attack of one. Second, the WC is veteran whereas the barbarian warrior will be either regular or conscript (I don't remember which. Does anyone know?). Third, we get an attack bonus against barbarians of 50% so the WC will have an effective attack rating of 3. Fourth and last, should the worst happen the WC will have a good chance of being able to retreat (since it's a vet).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 15, 2002, 22:06   #18
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:01
Err…I made a mistake in my proposal, we need to unload the WC in a tile near the hut, not in the hut itself, and in the next turn we will have the two movement points. The WC will use one to reach the hut, and the other to load itself in the galley, if necessary. You can count one turn more in the total, making it in 6 turns.
About the location B, I was illustrating the BigFurryMonster's idea, and seems to be a good place to settle now (a city in “B” can grows fast), but if the preferred location is "F", the whole process will take the same number of turns.
Hmm... in fact, we'll need only 5 turns to have a city in the location "F".
Old September 15, 2002, 22:41   #19
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Re: Some decisions to make for Uber Island exploration and settlement
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
Who decided were taking it to uber isle?
The settler in port rouge was meant to fill the gap between chartes and rheims and was built soley for that purpose. We can build settlers in any city , the reason a stlr was built in rouge was cos it is the closest city to the site so that we can fill this gap before the french do so that all our territory is linked and to put more pressure onto chartes.

I thought I had some sort of understanding with Will but I wasn't in the chat so I don't know.
I believe the Port Rouge settler should be going here:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	gapone.gif
Views:	69
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	24484  
Old September 16, 2002, 02:57   #20
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
we need to unload the WC in a tile near the hut, not in the hut itself, and in the next turn we will have the two movement points. The WC will use one to reach the hut, and the other to load itself in the galley, if necessary.
That's the idea, indeed. Takes 1 turn more than in your picture, but the risk is considerably lower.
Old September 16, 2002, 04:19   #21
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Something to bear in mind: it seems like a virtual certainty that there will be a barbarian camp somewhere on the island. If it has been there for a while (since when everyone was in the ancient era, which is quite possible) then it will have had an uprising, and there will be a lot of barbarian horsemen roaming in parts of the island. If that is the case, it bodes ill for the treasury and the second city, since one war chariot will not be enough to defend against 8 horsemen, even if they are conscripts.
Old September 16, 2002, 04:33   #22
Shiber
Emperor

I've calculated the chances for a WC to kill a barbarian warrior or a barbarian horseman and it's 6 to 1. Considering the fact that at some point the WC will rise in rank to elite and gain one health point we should be able to handle 5, maybe 6 barbarians.
Hmm... personally I don't think barbarian encampments can spawn more than three units at a time so if I'm right we should be ok.
EDIT: also, a fast unit such as the WC in the rank of veteran or elite will almost always manage to retreat from a fight with a conscript.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 16, 2002, 05:35   #23
vulture
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
I've calculated the chances for a WC to kill a barbarian warrior or a barbarian horseman and it's 6 to 1. Considering the fact that at some point the WC will rise in rank to elite and gain one health point we should be able to handle 5, maybe 6 barbarians.
Hmm... personally I don't think barbarian encampments can spawn more than three units at a time so if I'm right we should be ok.
EDIT: also, a fast unit such as the WC in the rank of veteran or elite will almost always manage to retreat from a fight with a conscript.
When two civs enter a new era, any barbarian camp spawns an uprising with a number of horsemen that depends on the barbarian level. At the default (roaming) each camp produces 8 horsemen.

The odds of a war chariot surviving an attack from horsemen is not so good. For a veteran WC caught in the open by a conscript horseman (with 50% combat bonus vs barbarians) we win approximately 75% of the time (with no chance of retreat). If we are attacked by 2 horsies in the same turn, our chance of surviving is 40%, and by the time we get to 5 horsemen (the default stack size is 8 remember) we survive about 2% of the time.

For a single WC fortified in a city, the chances of surviving an attack by 6 horsemen in one turn is about 5%, and from 8 it is about 1%.

I don't know if the uprising stack spreads out if there is nothing around to sack immediately, but if not then the WC is essentially useless as a defender.
Old September 16, 2002, 05:48   #24
nz_upy
Warlord

If we attack Barbars with WC does that trigger GA?
Old September 16, 2002, 05:54   #25
BigFurryMonster
Emperor

Good point. I think it might! We should use this WC to trigger the Era in this way.
Old September 16, 2002, 05:55   #26
vulture
King

Quote:
Originally posted by nz_upy
Yes, unfortunately. Unless my memory is really screwed.
Old September 16, 2002, 06:22   #27
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:

Originally posted by vulture

Yes, unfortunately. Unless my memory is really screwed.
IIRC it does not.
So you can freely attack any barbs and you wont get a GA.
Old September 16, 2002, 10:09   #28
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:01
Barbarians do give promotions, but not GA.
Aggie
Old September 16, 2002, 10:11   #29
astrologix
Deity

Quote:
No. It doesn't. Only against another regular civ.
Old September 16, 2002, 22:14   #30
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I doubt there's a barbarian camp or we would've seen the litttle rascals running around as we scouted around the shore.