Old September 15, 2002, 10:22   #1
Akaoz
Prince

Local Time: 08:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
About capturing planes
I saw someone trying to figure out how to capture enemy polanes the other day.

This may be old news, but by default one can capture Stealth bombers, because they have no defense rating. Bombers have a dense rating of 2 so they go the way of ships when the city falls.

-Alech
Old September 15, 2002, 10:46   #2
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 03:01
I don't think any planes can be captured. I've captured cities and watch even SB be dstroyed.
Old September 15, 2002, 10:48   #3
Akaoz
Prince

Well, I'm playing your version of Marla's World Map and I just captured about 10 Stealth Bombers from the Chinese. All Bobmers fall to the ground though.

-Alech
Old September 15, 2002, 10:53   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 10:01
Probably sometying with the changed rules of Marla's map.

BTW why isn't the Creation forum used for this kind of discussions?
Old September 15, 2002, 11:00   #5
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

Sad isn't? You work very hard to maintain the Files and Creation forums and for what? Forced to check here for topics that should go into those forums.

When will people learn.
Old September 15, 2002, 11:46   #6
Akaoz
Prince

As far as I can see from the editor there are no settings that have been changed when it comes to the Stealth Bomber.
Old September 15, 2002, 13:08   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Akaoz
As far as I can see from the editor there are no settings that have been changed when it comes to the Stealth Bomber.
No, but it might be something else that makes the game not recognize it as non capturable.

I don't know.
Old September 15, 2002, 13:28   #8
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Akaoz
Try this in a normal game first. THe mod may be corrupt.

Please PM me further.
Old September 15, 2002, 13:37   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:01
I have grabbed cities that had stealth bombers and they were distroyed not captured, for what it is worth.
Old September 15, 2002, 13:54   #10
Anna749
Settler

Myself I prefer to win using no war, although I havent won yet . I plan on stayin well away from the United Nations this time. But I would have to say it would be cultral and tech or the space for me
Old September 15, 2002, 13:57   #11
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Anna749
Myself I prefer to win using no war, although I havent won yet . I plan on stayin well away from the United Nations this time. But I would have to say it would be cultral and tech or the space for me

I think this is the wrong thread... or did I miss somthing... which is nothing new.
Old September 15, 2002, 15:48   #12
Wormwood
Warlord

Local Time: 00:01
Anna749, I think you're looking for the thread "Which victory do you usually go for?"
Old September 15, 2002, 16:13   #13
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 02:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Anna749
Myself I prefer to win using no war, although I havent won yet .
Yeah, exactly where I was when I first installed the game. Civ3 is dog eat dog... you can be lunch or you can eat lunch.
Old September 15, 2002, 16:51   #14
Anna749
Settler

oops My mistake...lol....thought I was gettin in the right one there.....Forgive me...must be me age creepin up on me...lol....
Old September 15, 2002, 17:02   #15
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 09:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
I don't think any planes can be captured. I've captured cities and watch even SB be dstroyed.
It's pretty easy to set up a test with the editor to show that with an unmodded game, stealth bombers, stealth fighters and cruise missiles can all be captured...
Old September 15, 2002, 19:27   #16
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture

It's pretty easy to set up a test with the editor to show that with an unmodded game, stealth bombers, stealth fighters and cruise missiles can all be captured...
Then my game is corrupt because even in a normal game (I spent this afternoon trying it out myself) SB and SF were destroyed. Cruise missiles can be captured.

Old September 15, 2002, 19:37   #17
vulture
King

Quote:

Then my game is corrupt because even in a normal game (I spent this afternoon trying it out myself) SB and SF were destroyed. Cruise missiles can be captured.

Or perhaps my game is corrupted. Curious.
Old September 15, 2002, 20:11   #18
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 01:01
Your game is probably just fine.

Certain units (chiefly bombardment, in any event, those units without A/D stats) are either captured or destroyed, depending upon if you have the requisite technological know-how.

If you capture a city that bases stealth bombers or fighters, you will destory the planes unless you have discovered Stealth - if you have discovered Stealth, you will capture the planes.

Same thing with cannons and Metallurgy - if you know the tech, you can capture cannons - otherwise your troops destroy the mysterious contraptions.

Catt
Old September 15, 2002, 20:32   #19
vmxa1
Deity

Let me reiterate, I have captured cities with SB and they were destroyed. I have never had a game were the AI beat me to Stealth, even at Deity. In other words, I had all req/prereq or coreq techs.
Old September 15, 2002, 20:44   #20
Catt
King

It usually happens to me when I don't bother to research Stealth (not required for a win). Perhaps someone can do a simple test with the editor (or I will try to do so later tonight).

I have captured cities and destoryed SBs and other times captured cities and captured SBs - it has always tracked with my own technological knowledge (as I believe is stated in the manual or civilopedia).

vmxa1 - have you ever captured SBs? Is it your contention that it is random, or that there is another trigger which determines capture or destroy? And do you always research Stealth even though it is a totally optional tech?

I'm not sure what you mean by your post.

Catt
Old September 15, 2002, 20:59   #21
vmxa1
Deity

I mean I have never captured any type of plane. So I can only say that every time I have taken a city with ship/planes they were destroyed and I had the tech for them. I can not say it is not possible, just I am very doubtful.
In games were I turn off short cut victory conditions I will end up with all techs. If victory can ne done with culture/space what ever, the game will likely end before that point. The AI is not going to go for stealth for some time, so it will only beat you to it if you just don't want it.
Old September 15, 2002, 21:04   #22
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

Because it has nothing to do with changed rules... I play a standard rule set, and still capture stealth bombers. Not regular bombers, though.
Old September 15, 2002, 21:08   #23
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

I'm not sure what you mean by your post.

Catt
Sorry, Req/prereq/creq are terms for mainframe programmers using assembler language. When you have a program written that is part of a system and need to make a fix you may find that you need to force some other code to be applied. This may be done with a COREQ/Pre or req. This is a way to prevent a given fix from being applied if say it was meant for a correction that is not universal. In short, I was saying regardless of any tech need for the unit, I would have had it a the point in time where I captured the city and it was still destroyed. This is how it has worked for me in all iterations (that is I have applied all of the patches as they came out).
Old September 15, 2002, 21:28   #24
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I mean I have never captured any type of plane. So I can only say that every time I have taken a city with ship/planes they were destroyed and I had the tech for them. I can not say it is not possible, just I am very doubtful.
In games were I turn off short cut victory conditions I will end up with all techs. If victory can ne done with culture/space what ever, the game will likely end before that point. The AI is not going to go for stealth for some time, so it will only beat you to it if you just don't want it.
Okay - I get you. I'm just saying that I (and apparently others) have frequently captured stealth planes (either bombers or fighters). But I've never seen myself, nor seen anyone report, capturing a non-stealth plane.

Stealth B's and F's do not carry hitpoints - they have no attack or defense points as Akaoz pointed out in the first post - only bombarment and movement (range) values - just like artillery units.

My point is that I believe that it is a game rule that pure bombardment units, when "captured" by an enemy, are either: (1) destroyed, if the "capturer" does not have the requisite technological know-how, or (2) captured, if the "capturer" does have the requisite technological know-how.

Your post seems to say, with quite a bit of certainty, that this is not the case. And I am just trying to get at whether your memory is faulty or my understanding of game rules is faulty.

Catt
Old September 16, 2002, 01:14   #25
vmxa1
Deity

I am well aware of that and understood it when you and others mentioned. It just has not worked that way in any of those scores of games I have played. I wonder if mods are involved in the games others are talking about? I could be confused about running into Stl Fighters and not bombes. I mention nothing about the rules and specifically said it may be possible, only that I do not recall seeing it. IOW you all may be correct and I may have just never actually run into Stl bombers and mistook Stl fighters in my feable memory. For sure regular planes I have seen destoyed in every game.
Old September 16, 2002, 09:38   #26
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
Your game is probably just fine.

Certain units (chiefly bombardment, in any event, those units without A/D stats) are either captured or destroyed, depending upon if you have the requisite technological know-how.

Funny, I've captured Cannons without knowing Military Traditions nore having the saltpeter to build one.
Old September 16, 2002, 09:58   #27
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Well, you don't have to have the resources to build it, only the technology.

You can only capture units which you have the tech to build yourself AND have A/D of zero. And there are even special cases(settlers, nukes) which cannot be captured even if you have the tech. They possibly have a 'no_capture' flag set...

Isn't metallurgy the tech required to build cannons?
Old September 16, 2002, 10:00   #28
Akaoz
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
Isn't metallurgy the tech required to build cannons?
Yes it is.
Old September 16, 2002, 10:04   #29
vulture
King

Quote:

Funny, I've captured Cannons without knowing Military Traditions nore having the saltpeter to build one.
Well cannons do arrive with Metallurgy rather than Military Tradition The resources to build a unit seem to be irrelevant to whether they can be captured. But it does look as though different people's games are behaving in a somewhat different manner. I imagine that vmxa1 and Thrawn05 are able to tell whether they have the techs to build e.g. stealth bombers when those units are destroyed when capturing a city, since they both seem to have a good understanding of the game. OTOH I know that stealth aircraft (fighters and bombers, not that the AI ever builds SF) can be captured in my (unmodded) games. Which suggests either a bug, a dodgy installation of the game, or some extra variable that we're all overlooking so far.
Old September 16, 2002, 10:12   #30
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Somebody from Firaxis could enlighten us on this one.
--Woody Allen