View Poll Results: What do we do with our great leader(Runoff)
Build Army 11 23.91%
Build Sun Tsu's Academy 35 76.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 15, 2002, 17:58   #31
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
He's on the road between uber and geo. Are you using save 170ADend. Scared me for a second there.
Aggie
I downloaded the one from the report thread and was worried the game had been saved BEFORE the GL.
Old September 15, 2002, 18:36   #32
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:01
We can't rename units that produced a GL in 1.21, only in 1.29. Bummer.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 15, 2002, 19:01   #33
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Army!
Old September 15, 2002, 19:15   #34
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

If you build the Art of War on Uber, you will gain its benefits only on Uber and nowhere else.

Also, we need to use him ASAP, whether it is for an Army or for something else. Since we can't get anymore GL's until he is used. We need to use him immediately, this turn coming up before we commit any combat actions.
Old September 15, 2002, 19:24   #35
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
If you build the Art of War on Uber, you will gain its benefits only on Uber and nowhere else.

Also, we need to use him ASAP, whether it is for an Army or for something else. Since we can't get anymore GL's until he is used. We need to use him immediately, this turn coming up before we commit any combat actions.
Since when do Sun Tzu only work in the city its built in? Ubergorsk will allow it to work all over the main continent.

Anyway, first thing next turn I propose he march into Ubergorsk and build Sun Tzu. No chance of missing out on another GL as he'll be gone before any more battles.
Old September 15, 2002, 19:32   #36
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
Ghengis meant Uber as in Ubergorsk, not Uber Isle.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 15, 2002, 19:45   #37
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 03:01
In the previous discussion I stated that I supported building an army.

My opinion has changed. Sun Tzu: The Art of War will do more good. Gepap also makes a great point when he says:
Quote:
We know the benefits of getting the Art of War, and we also know the dangers of a major civ. getting it, which would make thier armies far more formidable, as Shiber has stated. We don't know if we ever will get another GL because it is random. We might get a dozen without the heroic epic, 3 with, 0 without- we just can't know: we should not make policy based on the probabiliuty of winning the GL lottery, that is gambling. We should make policy based on what we know. GL's aren't a solution. I would like to be able to build an economy capable of bulding great wonders without GL help. I would like even to build a force and empire so great that all the wonders of the world won't defeat us. Getting the Art of War, forever giving our armies a boost and denying the advantage of professionalism to the enemies armies will help us in that respect.

Sell your photos
Old September 15, 2002, 19:47   #38
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 04:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
We can't rename units that produced a GL in 1.21, only in 1.29. Bummer.
i remember that now

damn, thats too bad
Old September 15, 2002, 20:14   #39
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
One thing to say though, it only produces barrack on its continent I thought. Aggie
True, but what a continent!! (Abananaba, I mean)

I was leaning toward the army/heroic epic route, but I find GF's reasoning pretty compelling.

Except that if it were possible to buy Theology, I'd definitely prefer the Sistine Chapel, which IMO is one of the most powerful wonders in the game.
Old September 15, 2002, 22:27   #40
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron
Except that if it were possible to buy Theology, I'd definitely prefer the Sistine Chapel, which IMO is one of the most powerful wonders in the game.
I agree, but I think building Sun Tzu next turn will give us a shot at both as long as we keep pressing the war with Persia.

I suggest after building Sun Tzu, start building our war units in Ubergorsk, Napoleton, Geofront, Seeberg, and Loveshack.

Start civilizing the cities of Termina, Apolyton, Tassagrad, BHQ, Timeline, and Gaia but first build a settler from Apolyton or Tassagrad to fill the gap between Tass and Timline.

Settle Uber Isle and then civilize it.

This way parts of our civ will be moving forward to build commerce and science while only part continues the war on Persia.
Old September 16, 2002, 03:16   #41
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 08:01
Sun Tzu will enable us to defend new cities instantly instead of having to garrisoning multiple units for long periods of time.
Old September 16, 2002, 04:31   #42
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

OK. If you are bound and determined to build a Wonder, at least save the GL and build Sistine, please.

Sun Tzu's is the least useful for the long term. Barracks cost 1 gpt upkeep.

Colosseum's cost 2gpt and make 2 people content.

A cathedral costs 2gpt and makes 3 people content. That is doubled to 6 with Sistine. We build a catherdral, we don't need a colosseum for a long while; with some luxuries and marketplaces, after hospitals.

Also, Sun Tzu's is 2 culture per turn. Sistine is 6. Culture effects whether our oppo is favourable to us or not.
Old September 16, 2002, 04:34   #43
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

I agree, but I think building Sun Tzu next turn will give us a shot at both as long as we keep pressing the war with Persia.
You are most likely incorrect. Civ3 general and strategy are littered with examples of people who only got one GL in the entire game. Of course, most of them built a wonder and did not build the army to increase the chances of getting more.
Old September 16, 2002, 04:39   #44
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 09:01
Sun Tzu's is fine. So is the Sistine. But "preserving" a leader imho isn't the right way.
Old September 16, 2002, 05:45   #45
nz_upy
Warlord

We have up until the next battle that our elite units are involved in to either get Theology and Sistines or build Sun Tzus.
Old September 16, 2002, 08:33   #46
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

, some difficult choices here , .....

building sun tzu on uber has its pros and cons , .....

we should start with it somewhere , we can always switch to an other wonder if those species build it first , ....

if we would get an army we can get more GLs , .... and from a tactical point of view it would be more intresting , .....

have a nice day
Old September 16, 2002, 08:49   #47
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:01
I am torn....
Usually I go first for an army....
But sun tzu is tempting....
So is holding on to him and getting leos....

I shall follow the will of the people in this one... looks like sun tzu is winning, thus I shall set up next orders to account for this.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 17, 2002, 01:00   #48
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 00:01
I think that the question should rather be to build a wonder of some sort or an army. Some people including me don't want to neglect the benefits of Sistine Chapel yet. BTW, does anyone know if anyone is building either wonder?
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old September 17, 2002, 02:34   #49
nz_upy
Warlord

Virtually every civ that can is building Sun Tzu's. And that will switch to Sistines if we use GL.
Old September 17, 2002, 02:55   #50
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
Yes, but some Civs are =also= building the Chapel.

When we build Sun Tzu, I don't think they can switch to another wonder, because of this (within a Civ, only one city can work on a particular wonder at a time).
They will loose all accumulated production in the cities that were building Sun Tzu.
Old September 17, 2002, 06:25   #51
Shiber
Emperor

I don't think so. They can switch to another building without losing shields because they haven't been building it for so long (or because in the worst case they can switch to Colosseum).
However we'd still get to see their shocked faces when we build Sun Tzu's.
- Phantom of the Opera

Last edited by Shiber; September 17, 2002 at 06:34.
Old September 17, 2002, 06:58   #52
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

we can always start to build a wonder , and lets hope that we can build an other one by the time they have it , this way we can switch easy , .... so we should focus our research on a tech that gives us a wonder , .....

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; September 17, 2002 at 07:38.
Old September 17, 2002, 07:16   #53
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

we can always strt to build a wonder , and lets hope that we can build an other one by the time they have it , this way we can switch easy , .... so we should focus our research on a tech that gives us a wonder , .....

have a nice day
You're missing the point all those shields would be wasted.

We cannot "build" a great wonder as the AI civs have too many advantages over us. We have to use a GL if we want one and starting on one now defeats the purpose of using a GL.
Old September 17, 2002, 07:34   #54
Shiber
Emperor

A huge advantage in fact. They get a 25% discount on the price of any building in shields, and I think this applies to wonders as well.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 17, 2002, 07:40   #55
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

You're missing the point all those shields would be wasted.

We cannot "build" a great wonder as the AI civs have too many advantages over us. We have to use a GL if we want one and starting on one now defeats the purpose of using a GL.
hi ,

nono , the point is to switch , .....

we start now with a wonder , if they have it , and we have the tech to switch to an other wonder we should be safe , that is what meant , .....

have a nice day
Old September 17, 2002, 08:44   #56
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Whatever its used for the GL has to be used NOW, we cannot use ANY elite unit in combat, attack or defense until the GL is gone.

Period.

The fact that people sit on GLs is EXACTLY why they only generate one.
Old September 17, 2002, 10:59   #57
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

The only time I sit on a great leaders is if a war is basically over and no more elites will fight and a tech is almost mine that will give a wonder I really really want. If we could buy theology from someone, it would almost be worth it since we would be buying the wonder. Yes I prefer it to sun Tsu's but I don't think we will be buying theology soon. but thta could change, let me ask this how much gold is sistine worth to us, because by buying theology we are buying it(and yes lets figure this out BEFORE the chat).
Aggie
Old September 17, 2002, 11:48   #58
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

My observation, first thing next turn see if there's any way to acquire Theology. If we can acquire it (Persia doesn't count, we aren't negotiating with them) then get it and build the Sistine Chapel. If not, build Sun Tzu, this way we are guaranteed a wonder, and if we're lucky we'll get another GL in time to build the Sistine.
Old September 17, 2002, 17:58   #59
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Whatever its used for the GL has to be used NOW, we cannot use ANY elite unit in combat, attack or defense until the GL is gone.

Period.

The fact that people sit on GLs is EXACTLY why they only generate one.
hi ,

okay here is the solution ;

get the the chapel , we take the tech from that evil species , or buy it , whatever , and build the chapel on Uber Isle or our capital , ....

meaning with build , we can use the GL , yes or no is an other Q

the best to do actually is to build an army , .....

have a nice day
Old September 17, 2002, 21:20   #60
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

What do we do with our next GL?