Old September 15, 2002, 14:59   #1
Akaoz
Prince

Local Time: 08:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AI attacking without declaring War
Can the AI attack you without having to declear war?

In my current game I just made Peace with China. As soons as I end my turn however their units start hitting me with no mention of a sneak attack or decleration of war...

Is that a bug, or is it a "feature"?

-Alech
Old September 15, 2002, 15:07   #2
Akaoz
Prince

Here is the Save-game btw:

http://home.online.no/~albraate/Caes...s, 1848 AD.SAV
Old September 15, 2002, 15:35   #3
Wormwood
Warlord

Local Time: 00:02
I don't have enough evidence to back anything up, but I do remember an instance where this happened. No declaration, no nothing. It also occured shortly after a peace treaty.
Old September 15, 2002, 16:09   #4
Flight
Warlord

same here, i had just made peace with the indians, so i came out of mobilization but i was still at war with the iroquoi
eventually i made peace with them and noticed i still had a lot of unhappy people then found out i was at war with india!

At the time i assumed they had declared war and i hadnt noticed, but i normally do notice these things...
i dont have a save
Old September 15, 2002, 16:56   #5
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:02
Quote:
Can the AI attack you without having to declear war?
Yes it can, and it does so quite often (at least in my games.) It does hurt the reputation of the attacking civ, human or AI but there are times when a preemptive strike is worth the loss of reputation.
Old September 15, 2002, 17:21   #6
Akaoz
Prince

miccofl: Any it does this without you getting a pop-up informing you that they just attacked you?
Old September 15, 2002, 17:36   #7
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Local Time: 09:02
Must be a bug, not a feature. It has happened to me as well, several times.. suddenly I realize that I'm at war, but there was no message that "The Romans have declared war on us!". Only happened since last patch.
Old September 15, 2002, 18:28   #8
Keeper of Hell
Chieftain

Yes, I've noticed this bug, along with an AI vs. AI non-declaration bug. I believe that they actually are declaring war, and that for whatever reason you are not informed. The best example I've seen is when two AIs sign a military alliance, but the civ who is signing on doesn't officially declare war. They still attack the enemy and everything, it's just that if you look on the foreign advisor screen, the red line isn't there. And I know for a fact that this unofficial declaration comes with most of the same effects (I cant testify to every single one, of course) as normal war, as observed in a recent game. America and Persia had a trade embargo against me with about ten turns left in it when the Indians roped America into a military alliance against Persia. Although the foreign advisor did not officially inform me that America had declared war, but he did tell me that the trade embargo had ended. I've only seen this sort of thing since 1.29 came out. Annoying, but if it's not happening to you it really has no effect on the game.
Old September 15, 2002, 18:52   #9
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by: Akaoz
miccofl: Any it does this without you getting a pop-up informing you that they just attacked you?
The time that puzzled me the most was when a unit I had told to get out or declare war (and didn't leave) went by one of my tanks, which then blasted away at it! (ZOC) I'm guessing that it declared war when I told it to. Usually when it happens a unit just comes up to one of mine and attacks it, sometimes this is not visible - you can hear an attack, but the map is still showing the view from when the turn ended. You sit and wonder WTF was that all about...
Old September 15, 2002, 19:06   #10
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Well, if you tell them to get out or declare war, and they don't get out, it means they have declared war.
Old September 15, 2002, 19:21   #11
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by: cyclotron7
Well, if you tell them to get out or declare war, and they don't get out, it means they have declared war.
I must disagree with that. Sometimes you have to tell them to get out repeatedly before they will finally "leave or declare war." And the AI will never leave the first time you ask.
Old September 15, 2002, 19:45   #12
Keeper of Hell
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by miccofl

I must disagree with that. Sometimes you have to tell them to get out repeatedly before they will finally "leave or declare war." And the AI will never leave the first time you ask.
I believe cyclotron was talking about the diplomatic option that reads "Remove your forces from our territory or declare WAR!" If you select this and the units are not removed, then you know that the AI civ has chosen to go to war.
Old September 15, 2002, 20:14   #13
Cyclotron
King

Precisely, KoH. Allow me to quote myself:

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
Old September 15, 2002, 20:26   #14
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:02
Maybe I am asleep at times, but I have discovered I was at war with some civ and never knew it. They asked for peace and I was unaware I was at war with them. This happens occassionally when that civ is very small or is far away.
Old September 16, 2002, 09:17   #15
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Sorry guys, I still have to say "not always." Regardless of which one of us is right or wrong, the game is still supposed to generate a pop-up "The xciv has declared war" or something similar. The pop-up used to occur every time war was declared this way, it no longer does.
Old September 16, 2002, 09:34   #16
Lucarse
Warlord

I can support this, i was attacked by the English (submarine killed a transport ferrying wounded troops..the cowards) with no warning, then they offered peace?? the text box seemed to suggest a rienforcement of the existing peace treaty.

As for 'remove your forces or declare war' i have had the AI wander into my ZOC several times and not leave after i have warned them, and we aren't at war nor do they decalre war they usually leave after the 2nd warning?
Old September 16, 2002, 13:33   #17
Cyclotron
King

Quote:
Originally posted by miccofl
Sorry guys, I still have to say "not always." Regardless of which one of us is right or wrong, the game is still supposed to generate a pop-up "The xciv has declared war" or something similar. The pop-up used to occur every time war was declared this way, it no longer does.
Pop-ups or not, when another civ refuses this request you are at war. That's probably because you told them "get out or declare war," so if they don't get out, they declare war. I don't know why the pop-ups aren't showing for you, but you will still be at war. Post a save?
Old September 16, 2002, 20:10   #18
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Post a save?
Were it not for the fact the scenario was a 16.5 MB download I would gladly post that save, but given the current bandwidth consumption of the scenario download I cannot afford the BW required to host a second file of that size.