Old September 15, 2002, 17:34   #1
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Combined Op’s
Has anyone ever seen the AI use combined operations? By that I mean using land, air and sea units in a coordinated attack on a city or strategic objective.

I realize this only applies in the later eras and while I get there quite frequently I have yet to see the AI deploy units in this way. In fact, I have yet to see the AI put aircraft on carriers; they always seem to be empty when I sink them – and yes I pay the gold to check on this.

Is this phenomenon unique to my installation of the program, or has anyone else noticed this?
Old September 15, 2002, 18:16   #2
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 08:02
The Carrier thing is stupid, thank god in multi-player we'll be facing sombody with the same common sense as our selves!
Old September 15, 2002, 18:26   #3
Rebel67
Settler

Local Time: 08:02
I have never seen the AI use combined arms, In fact the AI never seems to use bombard units to soften up any target before attacking, the just bombard all of my tile improvements, and occationally ships approaching their coast.

The carrier thing also annoys me, and unfortunately bu the time I get play the world I won't be able to play it online as I will be a poor student unable to afford the phone costs
Old September 15, 2002, 18:58   #4
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 10:02
Artificial Intelligence is not.
Old September 15, 2002, 19:04   #5
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Actually, it is neither.
Old September 15, 2002, 19:05   #6
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Well, on prolonged land wars, I have seen the AI bomb and then attack my forces in cities or laying siege to one of their cities. I was foolish enough once to put 10 artillery behind one elite MI on a hill overlooking their city; they slammed me down to 2 hp with 6 bombers and finished me off with 2 modern armor. 10 artillery were theirs...
Old September 15, 2002, 19:24   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:02
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I've seen the AI go nuts a few times.

Earlier in the year I experimented with game settings to encourage the evolution of "killer AI civs." That, in conjunction with me still really learning how to play (especially the late game, which I didn't even really touch until about April-May), resulted in some unbelievable games.

The worst were something I called the "Egyptian Mess" where I totally overextended myself and had France and Germany invading with hundreds of advanced units, the second mini-tourney (I think) where if I remember we played Germany and again I had two opponents invade my territory with SODs numbering in the hundreds (the last game I gave up for lost, btw... it was truly depressing).

Somewhere along the way, I remember AI civs pulling off incredibly sophisticated combined arms attacks... carrier groups with both bombers and jet fighters, protected by battleships, destroyers, and ironclads (of course!), pounding my less well-defended cities and land, followed up by impressive landings of mixed attack and defense forces.

I know that sounds like a fairy tale come true, but it really did happen... I wrote about here at the time.

I'll go back to some of my thoughts on killer AI civs... one of the things we need to do more is play with the AU mod.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.