Old September 15, 2002, 22:00   #1
Knightblade pDM
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My new game/w attached save
Well, ok now..I've started a new game using or trying to use what Cracker and Theseus have told me in the past few days.

Small Map
6 Civs
Full Random

I drew America, and I have Babylon and Greece on my island. I'm the largest of us so far. I started a mini war with Babylon, razed two cities, sued for peace and got Mysticism from them. I already have Swords and from what I can tell, they don't. Basically they have Warriors, Spears and Longbow. The workers are on manual, roads already connect my cities, and grassland is mined. I have an Iron Colony set up and I seem to be doing well. But I don't have such a trained eye as you guys do.

Greece has two cities, Babylon has about 5. Should I ally with Babylon and take out Greece, or lure Greece in, have them attack from the north as I come in with Swords and Horses from the South and flank them? Well here's the save, let me know what you think
Attached Files:
File Type: zip america-mark1.zip (55.4 KB, 5 views)
Old September 15, 2002, 23:21   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:03
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
First off, what a crappy map! God bless ya for going for it.

Don;t overthink this early situation...

* You have iron... protect it.

* You have iron... forget building archers, just build warriors for upgrading. Build some barracks toward the front. Don;t bother with spearmen for now (and move both the spearman and archer in Atlanta to the front).

* Hammie does not have iron, and won;t anytime soon... take advantage.

* Don;t worry about Greece... at all.

* Long-term: Washington is a terrible location for the palace... you are going to want an FP in Babylon.

* Your research path is a little screwy... why research polytheism without monarchy immediately thereafter? Get mapmaking, and forget the barracks in Atlanta, it's too far from the front anyway, build a galley.

* A placement subtlety: Wherever you build a town, you automatically get 2 food and 1 shield... so, given this kind of start, build your towns on tundra and desert, thus keeping the grasslands, plains, and hills for productive use.

Philadelphia illustrates something for me. It's on one of your better sites, and should either be contributing directly to the upcoming war, or building a temple to expand territory and get the game tile. Ask yourself, what is my primary strategy, and how does every town support my goals?

Lastly, I still want to recommend moving towards tighter placement, but this is a tough map to work with.

Sort of in line with Carver's suggestion about the quick challenge thing, I suggest you play this out to maybe 1AD, and start a new game.

You are going to be ready to move up from Regent very soon.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 16, 2002, 00:17   #3
Knightblade pDM
Chieftain

If I can keep Babylon from getting Iron, which I will, he won't have a single chance to keep up with me once the Swords start pumping out.

I know I screwed up on the research tree, I'll fix it up once I got back into it.

Greece is nothing, and once I finish Hammurabi off, they'll be easy pickens.

I'll get MM, build that Galley, load it up with a settler/Swords and try to find more space to expand. It is a crappy map, but I've always taken what I got and attempt to work with it.

I'll keep building towns on tundra and desert, and put the FP in Babylon once I conquer it. He's got a well implanted Spearman there and that's going to be tough, going to have to build Horsemen, knock on his door, and once I get that Spear down to 1 HP, the Swords will finish him off..most likely he has a Bowman there garrisoned as well. Gotta put my embassy there to find out and plan it.

About city placement, I've started to overlap, but I'm just so used to wide placement it's going to take a while to get out of that habit.(Blame the Manual/Strategy Guide for that LOL)

I know I can finish Babylon and Greece off and own that continent. I have no idea what the other civs are doing, but I'll find out soon enough

Thanks Theseus
Old September 16, 2002, 00:23   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Again, gutsy move to play out that map. Suggestion: when you move up in difficulty levels, don;t make life too difficult, re-start a couple of times.

BTW, I generally don't bother with designing a research tree strategy that far out... 1-3 techs is about my max.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old September 16, 2002, 00:31   #5
Knightblade pDM
Chieftain

What I used to do on Chieftain was just go "on the fly" as far as the tech tree went. Research one at a time depending on my current situation, and was pretty good at doing that too. Then I got into the habit of picking the whole thing at once. Some dirty habits I need to break. I'll start doing that re-starting idea, but again, I've always taken whatever the map generator gave me.

So I guess I need to really re-think how I go about playing this game huh? Maybe this will be the map that changes everything.

Thanks again Theseus
Old September 16, 2002, 00:46   #6
Theseus
Emperor

No no, I think you're doing well, and picking up on the ideas here at 'poly very quickly (put it this way... buh-bye, Hammie!!).

You're welcome for the tips... I enjoy it. The price: turn around and help out with what you've learned!!

Old September 16, 2002, 18:28   #7
Knightblade pDM
Chieftain

Okay guys, here it is..the update

It's 1954...both the Greeks and Hammurabi have been eliminated by my hands. The French were destroyed by Rome and it's mid Industrial Ages.

I have full control over my continent and two smaller islands and currently getting ready to invade Egypt with Cavalry and Riflemen. I am about 6 tech back but that will change once I invade Cleo, take their cities, and sue for peace and tech. I have an MPP with Rome, and if I take about 2-4 cities, should win by domination

The Iron Works has been built, but other than that, not many wonders have been constructed. I'm way ahead in score, so I should win this one either way

Here's the sav
Attached Files:
File Type: sav america-mark1.sav (126.4 KB, 1 views)
Old September 16, 2002, 21:51   #8
cracker
Warlord

Local Time: 01:03
Ok Mark,

Time for you to take a break from playing games for a bit after this one and go read "The Article". It will change your life.

You got to do your homework because the next chapter in the strategy series is scheduled to be release very soon and you will want to read that one as well.
Old September 16, 2002, 21:55   #9
Knightblade pDM
Chieftain

Yeah cracker I've read it..but I'm do for a refresher course on it

Ok..It was down to me and Rome as I took out the Egyptians and did most of the work LOL

Rome built the UN and the Manhattan...but didn't hold the vote..of course..

I won but it was by a Histographic..but at least I won..that's the main thing
Old September 16, 2002, 23:43   #10
Theseus
Emperor

Agreed, Cracker's strategy articles at CFC are amazing.

BUT, in defense of 'poly:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=58720

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=59216

Keep going Knightblade... tell us about coolest achivements as you go along.

Old September 17, 2002, 01:42   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The article on the flood plain really brings home the point of not letting the workers be automated.