Old September 16, 2002, 06:07   #1
Smith_X
Settler

Local Time: 08:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Where I can find information of PTW please ?
I try to read from civ3.com but I have many question about civ3. anybody please help me..

1. what's a simutaneous game ? is civ3 a turn base game isn't it ?

Turn Base Game --> UFO Enemy Defense, Heroes of Might and Magic, Master of Magic
Real Time Game --> Warcraft 3, Red Alert 2

I never heard about simultaneous game style before in my life.

2. what's a email game ? how does it work ? like I send email to you and waiting for you reply to me ? I start to play 1 turn and I send my savegame to you and you play your turn then you reply to me do it again and again like this ???

3. "new map features like outposts, airfields and radar towers" ==> I'm really do not understand what's it ? is it a building that I can build in town ? I guess not because that's called city improvement. so what's a map feature ? only "MAP" that I can load and play ? or just start with scernario and play ?

4. "Easier-to-use interface for streamlined management and better control" --> what's a streamlined management ?? I only heard about micro management but do not understand what streamlined management is. ? please help me..

thanks in advance
Old September 16, 2002, 06:21   #2
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:03
You can find a lot of info reading the Civ3 PTW previews on several gamesites, like gamespot.com, ign.com, gamespy.com, avault.com, etc.

A quick link:
gamespot preview

You can find also a lot of info reading the news and/or searching the forums on apolyton (well, here ) or on civfanatics.com.
--Woody Allen
Old September 16, 2002, 06:33   #3
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

1. I have no idea. Well, I have an idea, but a very vague one, so I am not able to give explanations to others

2. yes

3. these are tile improvements that a worker can build, just like mines or irrigations. Outposts increase visibility while radar towers give defence and (I think) attack bonus to nearby units.

4. I have no idea what does this mean, and I have really big doubts that anyone could tell more (except maybe Firaxis, but they don't want to).
--Woody Allen
Old September 16, 2002, 07:01   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

1. The simultaneous mode is a mode where everybody plays his turn at the same time. It's different from real time because it's still turn based, i.e your warriors cannot move more than 1 tile until the turn is over. It's a very original mode, I think only MAX had it before.
The "turnless" mode goes further than simultaneous : the computer automatically ends the turn after a pretty short time (which gets longer when people have more cities and units, to avoid the game becoming a clickfest).

2. Yes. There have been some big PBEM games on Apolyton for Civ2, which lasted very long (several months). Do this only if you're not in a hurry

3. Tiberius said it perfectly.

4. I think "streamlined management" means something like "fast management" : in turnless mode, you won't have much time, and you'll have to rely on automation. I know PTW will display many more order buttons when you select a worker (currently, the only automation order which gets a button is "automate" ; in PTW, every automation order will have its button displayed).
Other untis will have some more buttons which have to do with automation, like "patrol".
Old September 16, 2002, 09:04   #5
Bolt
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:03
Loved M.A.X. and simultanious move (hated M.A.X.2 though). Speed up the games considrebly, but hopefully the AI will not always be very fast and be able to move all unites before I have a chanse to move (like always attack first if he have a better unit and both have 1 movement).

The email game is much automatic, no need to send every mail by yourself, I think civ3 handles most of the things automaticly.
Old September 16, 2002, 09:12   #6
Tiberius
Emperor

double post. deleted.
--Woody Allen
Old September 16, 2002, 09:13   #7
Tiberius
Emperor

I doubt that simultaneous move will be for single player, as well. I think only for MP, but who knows?

Quote:
The email game is much automatic, no need to send every mail by yourself, I think civ3 handles most of the things automaticly.
AFAIR somebody from Firaxis has said that PBEM will be very simple and we will need to load a saved game, then send it by ourselves, then save, wait, load, ... . Hopefully I am wrong, but sadly I don't think so.
--Woody Allen
Old September 16, 2002, 09:28   #8
Bolt
Chieftain

Ah no simultaneus game in SP, so sad

Would have speed up the games considerbly. Thus the conclusion, no AI playes in MP, also sad.
Old September 16, 2002, 09:47   #9
Tiberius
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bolt
Ah no simultaneus game in SP, so sad

Would have speed up the games considerbly. Thus the conclusion, no AI playes in MP, also sad.
I'm not sure, just guessing (about simultaneous games) . Maybe (hopefuly) I'm wrong.
--Woody Allen
Old September 16, 2002, 09:48   #10
Smith_X
Settler

Quote:
-Original Post by Spiffor-
1. The simultaneous mode is a mode where everybody plays his turn at the same time. It's different from real time because it's still turn based, i.e your warriors cannot move more than 1 tile until the turn is over. It's a very original mode, I think only MAX had it before.
The "turnless" mode goes further than simultaneous : the computer automatically ends the turn after a pretty short time (which gets longer when people have more cities and units, to avoid the game becoming a clickfest).
I have question again..
if my warrior try to attack your warrior that still do not move what's happen ? maybe this system should like a real time game but still have turn base function? if you see my warrior try to attack your warrior next turn you should move your warrior first ? something like this ?
Old September 16, 2002, 09:59   #11
Bolt
Chieftain

I think the fastest one that moved/attacked with a unit first on a turn will move it. In that way, crittical situations you need to move first, leaving other things for later on the turn.
Old September 16, 2002, 12:25   #12
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 03:03
The screenshots show computer players in MP games, but the Firaxians have said not in turnless.
Old September 16, 2002, 13:27   #13
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Bolt
I think the fastest one that moved/attacked with a unit first on a turn will move it. In that way, crittical situations you need to move first, leaving other things for later on the turn.
you will move in turns, not by who is the fastest mover..

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 16, 2002, 14:01   #14
Bolt
Chieftain

I know its turns, but in simultaneous play the one with fastest movement with the mouse will move the unit first that turn, thats what I meant.
Old September 16, 2002, 23:11   #15
Smith_X
Settler

about email game..

if I (Smith_X) play with you.

I start game with 2 civilizations I choose country and you pick a country.

then I play my turn. when I finish I save game and game will send save game to your email address?

but if you are busy or hanging some place or can't check mail. I will not dry off because waiting for you ? (maybe I have not to wait.. but when I recieve your email then I play it right?)

this is very different from playing warcraft 3 online that I can play and the game will be finish with in 20 - 60 minute.

is email game type fun?
Old September 16, 2002, 23:41   #16
Smith_X
Settler

more question again..
about Simultaneous Mode and Turnless Mode, too.

if I play very fast. I can reach 1500AD but my opponent play slow he's just reach 100AD (just example)

is this a problem ? are there any method to control this problem ?? or player who play faster have a advantage ?

Do I have to wait for my opponent finish their turn ?

Last edited by Smith_X; September 16, 2002 at 23:56.
Old September 17, 2002, 00:50   #17
Tiberius
Emperor

Smith_X, simultaneous means simultaneous; if you are in 1000 AD then your opponents are in 1000 AD, too.
There is no "faster" player; it is still turned-based, only somehow different (faster).

Like I said, it's not very clear for me either, but from what I've read, it's something like that.

Edited: Read my quote below about turnless mode.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; September 17, 2002 at 02:18.
Old September 17, 2002, 02:02   #18
Tiberius
Emperor

From civ3.com:

Quote:
For the first time in a Civilization game, through the use of a "Turnless" game system, we can offer a much faster paced gaming mode. In Turnless, each unit and city has its own turn clock. These clocks progress independently from each other, meaning that a unit that has just moved, can't move again until its clock has reset. It is impossible for a single player to hold up the progress of the game (which happens sometimes in turn based games when played online). With Turnless, they're really only forfeiting their own moves. In addition we offer speed controls to the player, which determine how long each of these turn clocks take to reset. When combined with the dynamic scaling we apply, based on the number of units and cities each player possesses, the game allows players to configure the settings and determine their own pacing.

While these innovative features are geared to players interested in shorter games, we haven't left out those who simply want to take the total single player experience into the multiplayer arena. We've included all the classic game modes, such as Turn based and Simultaneous Moves. These keep the deliberate pacing of single player intact, but are also tweaked for multiplayer. Customizable turn clocks are included for these as well, so while each player might take their turns sequentially (in turn based for instance), they can still have a limit set on how long they can take. Beyond that, most game functionality is still available, even when it's not the player's turn (things like production, research goals, and diplomacy). We've also included Play by Email and Hotseat, which allow players to enjoy classic turn based games, either all gathered around a single computer or scattered around the world. A new Administrator password for PBEM allows the host to eliminate players or replace them with AI, regardless of whether they password protected their turns or not.
You can read the whole thing on www.civ3.com - Developer update on PTW multiplayer expansion.
--Woody Allen
Old September 18, 2002, 03:27   #19
Zarg
Settler

i think simultaneous is clear. it is still turnbased. everyone makes his turn to the same time. but the units dont move until everyone finishes turn. then the units go where the were told to go. of course there have to be rules when one attacks and the other one tries to escape or something like that (attacking when passing enemy units).
turnless i guess will be nearly real time but still some kind of turnbased mode. one turn will last a specified time. and if you move a unit with one movepoint you will have to wait that specified time to move it again. same for towns. if you build a temple which takes 10 turns you have to wait 10xspecified turn time 'till finished.
just my guesses
curious how it will be in the game
Zarg
Old September 18, 2002, 05:37   #20
Smith_X
Settler

thanks very much everybody

I just read civ3.com and there are new Domination

what's this victory condition ?? conqure part of the world/map ??
Old September 18, 2002, 07:36   #21
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 03:03
Domination has always been there. Elimination is a new mode. In this mode if you lose any city you are out. Defense will be very, very important.
Old September 18, 2002, 15:20   #22
Smith_X
Settler

is domination victory condition already have in normal civ 3 ?

I'm not sure because I stop play civ3 for a very long time.