Old September 16, 2002, 08:56   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Jungle Gazette: Volume XVII
THE JUNGLE GAZETTE

Your Light in the Jungle - September 15, 170 AD

Great Leader Emerges
The World Trembles

Within the depths of Persian territory, the war raged on. Our troops, being perhaps the most elite, experienced units known in the world marched deep into enemy lands. It was there that one stood up and too command, ensuring a victory for the military, but further, has made himself available to the public. Under his leadership, we will see a great advance in our nation. Many, though, are considering how to best use his services, and in what way will it benefit our great nation. Join in that disussion here

- UnOrthOdOx

Citizens praise turnchat success
(proof I use ANYTHING I find around the forums...)

The past hundred years have perhaps been one of the most successful in the history of Apolytonia. We have dealt the Persians a dramatic blow, defeating a total of twelve thousand of their troops with only two thousand losses to ourselves. Our troops have razed Sidon and added Tyre to our great empire. While fighting, Commander Ramses of the Eighteenth Elite Horse Battalion showed exceptional valor, distinguishing himself as one of the Great Leaders in our Civilization. He is being reassigned to Ubergorsk while our leaders ponder a more appropriate assignment for him. In the field of Foreign Affairs, we managed to secure an exclusive import agreement with Rome for their fine Ivory, while still making a profit by signing agreements regarding our dyes with other Civilizations.

Credit for these amazing events need to be spread throughout multiple people. First, all attendees deserve credit. Thanks to Aro, Rangers, Aggie, Apoc, Sprud, adaMada, adaMada42, MrWIA, MrWheresItAt, and MWIA for coming. (Tragically, MrWIA was forced to eject MrWheresItAt and MWIA forcibly from the chat when they became unruly). Without the contributions of this group, we would have accomplished little. Some of our citizen’s actions also stand about above others in the events of this past century. Credit goes to General Aggie, who has led our troops to victory against hordes of Persian forces. Credit goes to President MrWheresItAt, whose steady hand has guided our nation through these events with such skill that have led some to wonder if he just isn’t lucky. Credit goes to Shiber and E_T, who formulated the two plans that were combined by Acting Foreign Minister adaMada to produce the trading plan that we used so fruitfully. All things considered, this is a fitting tribute to the success of this Administration. May we see many future centuries pass as fruitfully.

-- adaMada --

On the trading block again
Established 'Ivory road' with Rome

Our emmissaries were once again hard at work, going to several of our surrounding nations, and establishing our presence in the way of trade. Ceasar of Rome has accepted a trade of our wonderfull dyes and a few Lytons in exchange for some Ivory. The were impressed with the deal, and it seems that their opinion of us has improved as such. We then traded a few of our horses to Joan for their maps and gold. She remains bitter despite our generousity. Alexander, though was much more open when he recieved our glorious dyes in exchange for his gold and map, and seemed genuinely pleased with the deal. Bismark, on the other hand recieved the same deal but also remains bitter over his embarrasment at our hand. All told, our emmissaries did a fine job proving that warfare is not the only thing that Apolytonia excedes at.

- UnOrthOdOx

Latest statistics out
Approval rating reaches astounding levels!

*Demographic highlights:
-Apolytonia's approval rating has risen to an astounding height never before seen in the world, as people take to the streets in festivities. 82% of the nation now approves of the administration!
-The remainder of Apolytonia's demographics mostly speak of bad news. Leadng this bad news is fall in literacy from 8th place in the world to a pathetic 12th.
-The disease, although still the worst in the world, has fallen 2% to 32%.
-The most alarming trend is the continued drop in average military service to 7 from 9 years. This trend has come to the point that we are now the 15th least mobilized nation in the world.
-The average family size has fallen from 6th in the world to 11th, supporting the beliefs that Apolyton is grossly underpopulated for it's size.
-The one bright spot in the demographics, being cited by the DIA and the Economy Ministry, is the amazing increase in the per capita wages of Apolyton, up to 4 per capita, good for first in the land from 5th last terms!

For a full copy, please head here

Our question to the candidates:
List your top five goals

"Here is my master plan:

1. Stop foreigners from eating our babies
2. Eradicate all foreigners
3. Expand our military, so we can pillage foreign countries
4. Maintain order in our cities at any cost
5. Retaliate by eating thier babies!

Vote Duddha!"

"TOP FIVE (Job-Related Goals for Next Term):

Fully colonize Uber.
Expand culture radius so no AI can settle on Uber
Build New Munich
Build a city for the gap between Timeline and Tassagrad
Colonize the Persian Jungle"
-GhengisFarb

"As Science Minister in the next Apoyltonian Dynasty, my most critical objectives are to:

A. Make the Ministry of Science a part of Apolytonia that inspires debate, and make my decisions a democratic process. I will continue Apoc's Area 25 threads, and continue to poll the people about course we need take.
B. Begin the process of making Apolytonia a Civilized nation, with librarys and scientists bringing our homeland and military to the leading edge.
C. Lobbying for the nessecary influence to make scientific growth a priority, and bring our cities out of the dark ages. We need more than 3 cities with beakers.
D. Continued Analysis of what our scientific objectives will bring us."
-Thud

"My goals were primarily accomplished last term. I wanted to experiment with the idea of regions, and then set into motion if feasible for our people. As the people are voting now on this issue (vote ends tomorrow I think?) and it appears to be passing with much favor, I feel it has succeeded.

My goals this term are to find people who will do lots of roll playing with the regions, and who can also act as deputies in case I am not able to make my commitments in time.

Secondly, and I do not know how to do this or if I even can, is to try to gain more members for our demo game.

Third is to help out the congress in rewriting our COL in any way they may ask of me.

Fourth is helping to make the game move at a regular and steady pace, such as with the format of the orders. MWIA has indicated that this helps significantly. It just takes quite some time to complete on my end (and yours Unorthodox) and still is IMHO more likely to have some things slip through the cracks relative to the previous way I was posting them.

Fifth goal is to have fun in this game. "
-GodKing

"1) See that we make use of this great land that the Banana has provided for us.
2) To make ready use of the natural resources, as the Banana would have us use them.
3) To recommend to my peers in the leadership what I'll need to accomplish this goal
4) To be flexible in appling what resources that the counsel allocates to me to accomplish our ultimate goal.
5) To listen to my fellow man and incorperate their ideas and point of veiws for how best to accomplish our ultimate goal of Upholding the Ideal of the Banana. "
-E_T

"I agree with most of Togas policies, but after persia and america I beleive we should stop warring and concetrate on building our self up and improving and mantaining good relations our neighbors and only fight war if we are pushed into it as in a demand we can't or will not comply with."
-Nimitz

"My goals are (and this kinda carries over from last term):
1.) Clear these damn jungles. We are FINALLY starting to see some difference being made, most notably around Timeline and Gaia, but I'm bringing workers to our core cities. The newly captured Persian workers will help greatly!

2.) Keep our civ connected. I want to make sure I add some more roads, especially to newly captured/settled areas. Granted it will be hard to err.. connect Uber Isle

3.) Uber Isle! Well hopefully soon I can ship off some workers to Uber Isle (perhaps 2?) and we can start working on improving that island as soon as possible. Possibly something I will have to consider in the next few turns.

4.) Irrigation. Now that we've switched governments, irrigation will start becoming an issue. I'll need to coordinate with the City Planner's office to find out where and what they need most. So PW and CP pretty much go hand in hand. Note - As close as they can be, I'm against the proposal to disband the PW that has been brought up a few times in regards to the new constitution. I should write a letter posting my views as they do deal with different aspects of our civilization.

5.) Listen to people's needs. Those who have delt with me know I'm pretty flexible in regards as to what I will do. I definitely want to continue this trend. I'm not someone with an agenda (unlike Banana who seems to want UNIVERSAL DOMINATION). Then again, you really can't have an agenda in PW! But Ghengis Farb did bring up a great point about "ReichBandit," the PW minister of Germany getting some action from Bismarck's mistress. That might have influenced my decision to build a road to Germany *cough*. Okay, so I can be bribed! "
-WhiteBandit

"Top 5 goals for next term.
1.Finish punishing the persians for their heinous betrayal. They started thisa war but we intend to finish it.
2. Finish the Americans off for thinking bad things about us.
3. Create a rapid deployment force(hopefully of knights) to protect our peaceful people.
4. Upgrade spears to pikemen
5. Secure border cities with 2 units each "
-Aggie

"1) Improve upon last term's "Foreign Ministry Office" thread to include more information and better organization.

2) Propose a draft of our new Constitution to the people to review.

3) Keep us out of any new wars.

4) Make contact with new foreign nations.

5) Open new trade routes and aquire new luxuries to trade. "
-Togas

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; September 16, 2002 at 12:21.
Old September 16, 2002, 09:15   #2
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:04
Excellent as always, UnOrthOdOx.
Old September 16, 2002, 09:30   #3
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:04
D'oh I suppose it's too late to PM you my 5 top goals now.

Well here they are anyway, sorry they didn't make the edition in time. This is what I'd like to see in the demo game if elected.

1. Restrictions to be placed on all journalistic discourse.
2. All newspapers to be stopped and banned and stuff.
3. All journalists to be shot or stabbed.
4. Questioning the president in anyway or even commenting on his decisions to be punishable by death.
5. To fully colonize uberisle.

IMO a set of achievable goals?

UnOr: do you want me to send you a serious set of goals or would you like me to post them here?

Another good paper, the governments loss is journalisms gain.
Perhaps some reviews of government decisions would add a bit of edge to the paper.
Old September 16, 2002, 09:47   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Damn, I forgot the statistics again. I will update those in a bit later...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 16, 2002, 10:00   #5
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Damn, I forgot the statistics again. I will update those in a bit later...
I don't know if the maps could be remebered here, too...
Old September 16, 2002, 11:12   #6
Reddawg
Prince

Local Time: 03:04
Economic Ministry's Top 5 Goals:

1. Maintain the steady increase in lytons/turn
2. Develop infrastructure to sufficiently increase income to a point that a higher science rate is viable
3. Maintain all expedient trading routes
4. Increase standard of living
5. Develop poorer regions relative to Mingapulco

Oh and Aro, the stats and the maps go hand in hand these days! You inspire me lol.
Old September 16, 2002, 12:11   #7
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro

I don't know if the maps could be remebered here, too...
Where ARE the maps? The links in your sig only go to outdated ones...(remember I missed a week and am still not reading everything, just trying to catch up.)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 16, 2002, 12:38   #8
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 04:04
nothing about the hawk resurrection? or the UFC disbanding? very good otherwise though!
Old September 16, 2002, 12:39   #9
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

UnOrthO,
All the maps are posted at http://www.arociv.com/Maps.html, which is Aro's site...

If you're looking for a 'poly thread with all the iinformation about the Maps, then I honestly have no clue -- I've memorized his site though, it's very useful .

It's linked to in the part of Aro's sig where he says: 'The updated high-resolution world map and all kind of fine Maps are here'.

Dunno if it will, but hope this helps.

-- adaMada

EDIT: Oh yea, almost forgot to say it. Great issue, UnOrtho!

Last edited by adaMada; September 16, 2002 at 12:48.
Old September 16, 2002, 12:42   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Re: The Jungle Gazette: Volume XVII
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
"As Science Minister in the next Apoyltonian Dynasty, my most critical objectives are to:

B. Begin the process of making Apolytonia a Civilized nation, with librarys and scientists bringing our homeland and military to the leading edge.
Perhaps the "civilizing" can begin with making the Science Minisiter candidates not so illiterate.

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
This is what I'd like to see in the demo game if elected.

4. Questioning the president in anyway or even commenting on his decisions to be punishable by death.
A great set of goals! I fully support........

(Apolytonian guardsman cuts off GhengisFarb's head)
"No commenting!"
Old September 16, 2002, 13:02   #11
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
UnOrthO,
All the maps are posted at http://www.arociv.com/Maps.html, which is Aro's site...

If you're looking for a 'poly thread with all the iinformation about the Maps, then I honestly have no clue -- I've memorized his site though, it's very useful .
Thanks, Ada!
Btw, I'll start the thread you suggested...
UnOrtho, The links in my sign are updated now.
Old September 16, 2002, 14:14   #12
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro

Thanks, Ada!
Btw, I'll start the thread you suggested...
UnOrtho, The links in my sign are updated now.
D'oh!

I was looking at the right side of that site...all those links are older, but right there on the left 170AD Plain as day...

My fault.

I'll get those in somehow.

Aro,

Would you consider a condensed map for actual inclusion in each edition? Can they go down small enough and still be somewhat ledgable?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 16, 2002, 14:34   #13
Aro
lifer
Emperor

I'll try. The thumbnails I've been posted aren't legible at all. I'll do some research after my daily work, compressing files and so.
Btw, I need to do something more efficient in that site... Looks horrible and many maps are definitively outdated.
Old September 16, 2002, 15:32   #14
Reddawg
Prince

theres a decent thumbnail of my map in the stat thread, im sure a decent thumb could be made for any other map as well
Old September 16, 2002, 15:48   #15
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Reddawg
theres a decent thumbnail of my map in the stat thread, im sure a decent thumb could be made for any other map as well
Hmm... It's not too easy. Some maps can give the info in a small size, like your map, for instance. However, the Tactical Map or the World Map needs to be reformulated, because the text becomes illegible. What I'm trying is post smaller maps (but bigger than we are allowed to post here) in my site and link them to a post. I'll do some tests as soon as I finish my RL work.

Edit:
I have done some tests and I think the only solution is re-making the map with the zoom out, to make the city names bigger. Otherwise, they still illegible, or the file is too big for normal connections. But I will not give up!

Last edited by Aro; September 16, 2002 at 16:36.
Old September 18, 2002, 15:46   #16
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 04:04
"Librarys" Don't blame me, blame the lack of libraries
Old September 18, 2002, 16:21   #17
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 08:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Thud
"Librarys" Don't blame me, blame the lack of libraries
Perhaps this lack of libraries had led to decline in intelligence of our general citizenry, thereby making them extremely stupid.

This would account for the "stupid settler" syndrome GF is always complaining about.