Old September 30, 2002, 00:58   #121
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 18:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
And about A Midnight Sun, I'd love to see it again, if you feel like writing.
Old September 30, 2002, 10:38   #122
Sovereign
Prince

Local Time: 03:04
Hi guys!

My "home" computer still isn't able to log-in Apolyton, so I guess I'm pretty much stuck writing from "borrowed" computers for a while.

I'm glad that Lonestar is back with a bang!

Guys, I'd like a run down of loose plot threads that I should continue in my next post. I'll have to work on my story post piece by piece, for like 30 minutes at a time when I "borrow" a computer that lets me log-in into Apolyton.

I know I need to do the following:

1. Bring that GHE private data padd to the Academician.
2. Establish several embassies on GHE grounds.

3. The Hferin Stalemate with the Protectorate and Admiral Fel.
4. The Star Gate in UCS territory.

5. Opening dialogue with the EC.

6. Continue the Temple plot, introduce several new discoveries.

7. Introduce a few experimental Quantum reactors, FTL drives and energy generation.

Does that sum things up that I need to catch up on? Any other plot lines I missed?

As for.... Quantum Lasers, AI processors, and Weaponary will be tested later, perhaps after the Peace Conference, or a couple of BAC months into the future.

I'm open to ideas of when, where, and how to go about developing the next "level" of weapons, computers, computer sentience, etc. with Quantum technology.

Obviously, widespread usage of Quantum weaponary won't be immediate. I'm thinking somewhere more like by 2710 or 2715, by phasing out Tachyon Beams and replacing them with Quantum Lasers or Cannons.

I'm thinking of changing the Prometheus Project to accomdate the Quantum stuff. The AI was both a success and a failure, something I'll expand on in the next story post.

Any other ideas or suggestions? They'd be much appreciated!

Laters.
Old September 30, 2002, 10:42   #123
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:04
Hm. What should I write? (I've yet to read the story thread )

1. The Peace Conference. HG, how is our plan proceeding?

2. The GHE/EC/UCS alliance. When will we begin dialogue? After UCS contacts us (via GHE?)?

I'll try reading the new posts today, so ignore any redundant questions.
Old September 30, 2002, 11:19   #124
Sovereign
Prince

Hmm... Kass, I think it'd make more sense if the UCS contacts the EC directly, since the UCS is aware of the events transpiring in the Sol System.

I'll write a PM by tomorrow about how to proceed, Kass.

As far as I can see, the peace conference and the GHE + UCS stuff are the primary plot lines for EC / Sol.

Also.... Think about Greg and Filkins!

Laters,
Old September 30, 2002, 11:42   #125
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Oh yes, Greg and Filkins. People (= History ) have been asking about them.
Old September 30, 2002, 16:08   #126
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 02:04
Ah, OK. Will start on Utopia soon.

Kassiopeia-- Let me get my latest post done before you post. You can proceed with our plan after that, when you feel quite ready for it. This certainly will be interesting. Almost as interesting as what I plan for...

As for Greg and Filkins...of course I asked about them! They've been haunting me very thoughts, old bean!!
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2002, 16:15   #127
Kassiopeia
Emperor

History, calling someone younger then you an old bean is commonly recognized as silly.
Old September 30, 2002, 17:08   #128
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Ah. But, Kassiopeia, am I not younger than yourself?
Old September 30, 2002, 17:15   #129
Kassiopeia
Emperor

IIRC, you are almost two months older then I am.
Old September 30, 2002, 19:27   #130
History Guy
King

Ah-ha! Then you are a young bean!
Old September 30, 2002, 23:19   #131
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You guys are all crazy! I think everything sounds alright w/me Sovereign and Kass.

History Guy:

Quote:
Only a barbarian like Yang?

How 'bout...a moron like Yang...

...a neanderthal like Yang...

...a gorilla like Yang...

...a toilet plunger like Yang...

or...

...the Missing Link, also known as Sheng-ji Yang!!
Thought I forgot about this post, didn't ya? We'll see! I plan on having messages sent to Kessel, Adams, and Morgan each discussing every important matters. I think Morgan-Hive relations should be touched up on, don't you?
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2002, 00:41   #132
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Oh yeah, about the EC-UCS-GHE alliance. I think it'd be better if the UCS contacted the Earth. Even tho we have an ambassador in system, I think it would be prudent to let Randius talk to the Terrans....seeing as how Kessel is keeping an eye on the Sol System to make sure we aren't there.....little does he know, we ARE there!

Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
Old October 1, 2002, 16:01   #133
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
On a more serious subject:

If Mellian isn't allowed back, are the Scions still official in the storyline? For the record, my chief of research has a long time age expressed his wish to contact them, so that was my involvment until now. That is until I post my new post (pretty soon).

For the Stellar Astrogator and Galactic Librarian - Descendants of Saturn (which will found a new faction and find a better sounding name ) will be relocating to the soon to be named Ubiquitta system (quite close to the UCS territory), which has 7 planets, with remains of an ancient alien races mine-field scattered on the 4th planet (which is full of presumably toxic ocean - therefore uninhabitable, for now).

The 3rd planet however has however what they once were, a genetic experiment of primitive humanoid-looking (but not mammal) creatures, which are living in what we could compare to, our early and pre-20th century, where their colonial powers are at each other's necks, when technology is about to take a huge leap (as in our 20th century) and new ideas and philosopies are conjured. We plan to usurp their world and assimilate them (using both environmental and genetic conditioning) within our new civilization which will include them (someone come up with a new name, Native Ubiquians?), humans, Scions and other lifeforms (eg. AI entities) wishing to enjoy the newly-funded democratic society (monarchy of Queen Maria Sanchez will be abandoned on this new world as she insists to stay on Saturn). Amazingly, on other planets, no traces of the ancient race, apart from unrecoverable probe wreckage, are to be found. They have either abandoned the system by will or force...

I will leave the 4th planet alone until far later in the plot.

For those questioning whether I will suddenly bring in more alien elements into the story, the answer is no - I will make sure no significant advances are made from the alien wreckage so only the previously known tech will be there to base our knowledge from.

(Far) Future Develoments:
Which name sounds better:

* The Ubiquittan Heterogeny
* The Ubiquittan Democracy
* The Descendants of Saturn
* Children of Saturnia

I have slight leanings towards the 1st and 4th suggestions but I am not sure... I mean I'd love to call it:

The Ubiquittan Heterogeny (Children of Saturnia)?

But its way too long...

Comments, suggestion, modification and rejections always welcome! The colonisation is for now secretly planned so Sovereign, not a word!

PS.
Ubiquitous: adj. 1. present everywhere or in several places simultaneously; 2. often encountered. (based on Latin ubique - 'everywhere')

Here's the system map (pardon my Paint program skills):
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ubiquitta1.bmp
Views:	6
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	26044  
Cybergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2002, 23:15   #134
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Do you wish to tie the ruins to the Temple and / or Berrik and / or the Spartan subterranean ruins? It looks as though the Human Sphere is built on the ruins of something big, and I personally think it would be cool to see that all tied together.

For me the word "Ubiquittan" is pretty cool-sounding. But "Children of Saturnia" is nice and concise. So it's up to you.

As for the Scions, I don't mind if they remain in the story, even if they are plagiarized from somewhere (or that's the way it looked to me ).
Old October 2, 2002, 05:37   #135
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

the Scions can go away or stay. It dont matter to me.

As for all the alien complexes, I like the idea of tying them together somehow. Possibly like a vast version of the Monliths on Chiron.

These are some ideas

A very long time ago there where these races.

Fraal
Progenators
Alien Race 1
Alien Race 2

They all fought on and off for thousands of years each growing in power until they had technologies that could devastate planets completely. The Fraal withdrew from the wars when it became apparent that the stakes were about to become very leathal for the civilizations. The progenators delt the first blow by destroying planets of Race #1 with the same technology that was used to create the manifolds. Their creations got away from them and eventually reduced their civilization to a state of low technology. The remaining two races forgot about the progeantors and started fighting each other. In the meantime races grew up and achieved space flight and were in turn destroyed by one of the older races. The Fraal only protected those races they felt were worthy and that was by keeping them out of space. As long as a race remained planet bound they were mostly safe. After many years of constant battles the two remaining races were exhausted by their wars and began to look for servent races to fight for them. Race 1 looked to the Bree as a species to use as their soldiers. Race 2 found the Gorn and gave them vast amounts of technology if they agreed to fight Race 1 and their Bree soldiers. The Gorn took the technology and then refused to fight for their benifactors. But Race 1 still sent the Bree against the Gorn thus beginning their generations long wars. Race 2 was desparate to find a race to uplift to use as soldiers and workers to suppliment their dwindeling numbers. They looked to a primative world deep in their sphere of influience as a source of troops. At first they took humans and altered them to adapt to varing climates. They set up separate planets to put them on and clone sufficient numbers. Those humans rebelled eventually and were lost. They then tried to get another race(Uv Watt) but they were not suited for war or hard labor and they were abandoned. They returned to Earth and took more humans and tried different methods to train and alter them. At their height they had humans on dozens of worlds trying to breed out the independent nature. In some cases they succeeded but it was too late. Race 1 and their Bree soldiers invaded Race 2's territory and began a war of annilation. Before they could totally wipe out their enemies however the Progenators were back with recovered technology. Race 1's homeworld was destroyed by a flowering caused by the Progenators. The Bree lost their masters but held on to a lot of their technology. They soon had to concentrate on the Gorn who had also recovered and were slowly attacking Bree territory. They settled into their long and continous war. Race 2 was not saved by all of this because their numbers were so damaged that they returned to their homeworld and began to heal their numbers. The Progenators once again got too powerful and feel into infighting that resulted in them once again loosing technology. It has been 3700 years since the great races retreated back to their homeworlds. They go through cycles of regaining their level of technology and loosing it. The Bree and Gorn are locked in a cycle of war and rebuilding. Race 2 has dropped from history but still exists. The Uv Watt stay in their own little territories near the Believers and do not venture very far. The Fraal wonder about space looking for a planet to settle on. The progenators are rebuilding their technology while still figting a civil war. Humans are the first to emerge from their planet since the last wars and at the moment enjoy the middle position. Not primitive but crippled by disunity. Then there are the primitive races still planet bound. And every so often you will find an out of the way planet with Humans that are the result of attempts at genetic manipulation (ex. The one on Epona)
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Last edited by Sprayber; October 2, 2002 at 05:43.
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2002, 05:46   #136
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:04
Interesting ideas. Perhaps we should make a timeline for this suggestion.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2002, 10:44   #137
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
As for the Scions, I don't mind if they remain in the story, even if they are plagiarized from somewhere (or that's the way it looked to me ).
A lot of stuff in BAC is plagiarized from somewhere.

-Mellian
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2002, 22:36   #138
Frankychan
King

Go Bree! You see Sprayber?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

The Bree lost their masters but held on to a lot of their technology. They soon had to concentrate on the Gorn who had also recovered and were slowly attacking Bree territory.
More aggression by the Spartans and their "buddies"! It's a good thing Sheng-ji Yang is here to help out the ailing Bree or else the tyrannical rule of the Gorn would dominate the galaxy! (j/k). Glad to see that your presence has invigorated BAC, Thread-God.

Well, your idea sounds feasible and I support it. Sorry about not getting to creating the background for the Bree though...........(yeah,yeah,yeah, I'm lazy-everyone here knows it by now. )

I also like the idea for a timeline
Old October 3, 2002, 00:49   #139
Mr. President
Emperor

That sounds absolutely fantastic to me.
Old October 3, 2002, 01:29   #140
Frankychan
King

what sounds fantastic? the fact that the Spartans are the true menace?

Oh, BTW, on the History Channel they were showing "The Rise and Fall of the Spartans". I found it really interesting seeing as how things in BAC slightly parallel the history of the Spartan city-state.
Old October 3, 2002, 01:48   #141
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

In what way?
Old October 3, 2002, 01:57   #142
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
fantastic
I meant the alien idea.

Quote:
I just don't have the patience to wade through 16-page long threads about whether the Commissioner shall be allowed to use a wheelmouse. - Mr. President
I thought that was dead and buried!

I was never a big fan of ancient Sparta. Athens was more my cup of tea, seeing as how Euripides and those sort of people were Athenian. Also, they had more of a lasting impact on Western history (in my opinion).
Old October 3, 2002, 02:04   #143
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
I thought that was dead and buried!
I was going through my old posts in the AC Fiction forum (some of which are really rather embarassing), found that one, and though it was pretty funny.
Old October 3, 2002, 02:06   #144
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
I was never a big fan of ancient Sparta. Athens was more my cup of tea, seeing as how Euripides and those sort of people were Athenian. Also, they had more of a lasting impact on Western history (in my opinion).
Yet another example of how culture beats military. Coracle will NOT be pleased.
Old October 3, 2002, 02:26   #145
Sprayber
Emperor

When the Founding Fathers began putting together the US, they looked to Athens at what to avoid. Ancient Sparta failed because they tried too hard to maintain the status quo and were too cautuous about warfare.

I wouldnt want to have lived in Athens either becuase most likely none of us would meet the standard at what a citizen was. The only reason Athens is better known is because of their buildings and philisophers. All of which were made possible because they extorted tribute from other smaller Greek cities. The Spartans just suffered from a lack of imagination. If they hadnt gone off the deep end after conquering Athens, it would have been totally different. If you want to honor a city, make it Thebes. It was they who commanded the grand army that invaded Laconia and took Sparta. And dont forget, Sparta was looked upon as the Liberater of the Greeks from Athenian arrogence.

One more interesting note. It was the Spartans who advanced the notion of separation of powers withing a state. There wasn't a single ruler. There were two kings, an assembly of elders and the ephors that acted in the kings absence.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old October 3, 2002, 03:58   #146
Mr. President
Emperor

That is interesting. I'll admit, Athens did have some problems with chauvinism. There's a show about Sparta on this weekend; perhaps I should watch it. Looks like I still have something to learn.

I still like Athens, but then perhaps I'm just poisoned by the current democratic majority.
Old October 3, 2002, 04:22   #147
Frankychan
King

All this talk about history, but yet no sighting of History Guy as of yet.....

Sprayber-you're right. They had two kings for "checks and balances" and they did go loco after conquering Athens. But the Spartans were more oligarchy than anything else. Oligarchies suck.
Old October 3, 2002, 04:24   #148
Frankychan
King

Well, on to BAC stuff:

People, I'm a little worried that BAC is becoming a little "elitist". I haven't seen any new talent or inquiries as of yet. Are you guys worried or just "nah, we cool, we bad" kinda thinking?

Or am I just being paranoid?
Old October 3, 2002, 04:28   #149
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

Yet another example of how culture beats military. Coracle will NOT be pleased.
I just noticed this.

Quote:
But the Spartans were more oligarchy than anything else.
I get the impression Sparta was very much devoted to war. I think that while war and being ready for it is important, it is not as important as cultural and economic development.

As for new talent; perhaps we should advertise. I mean really aggressively advertise.
Old October 3, 2002, 05:38   #150
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan
All this talk about history, but yet no sighting of History Guy as of yet.....

Sprayber-you're right. They had two kings for "checks and balances" and they did go loco after conquering Athens. But the Spartans were more oligarchy than anything else. Oligarchies suck.
Well, I didnt say i particularly liked sparta either. I'm just saying that Athens wasnt as stable as it should have been.

The Spartans didnt necessarly live for war. You have to understand that the Spartans were a very conservative people. They only went to war when there was no way out or the chances for victory were damned good. They lived in constant fear of the Helots who out numbered them 10 to 1. After they took Athens things went wrong. Lysander forced an oligarchy on Athens that some in Sparta didnt like. Hell when the Athenians revolted later on they were partially supported by the Spartan King. Sparta started doing what it had never done before. it wanted an empire and they treated the other greeks like ****. As long as the Spartan armies came in and beat Athen's army in some greek city, they were liked. but when they went around forcing their brand of goverment on others their allies became their enemies. Namely Corinith and Thebes. Thebes destroyed Sparta because Sparta wouldnt leave well enough alone. Ironically the only reason Athens wasn't reduced to ruin was because they needed Athens against Thebes.