Old October 3, 2002, 09:19   #151
Sovereign
Prince

Local Time: 03:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hmm, the background information about the aliens and the Bree, Gorn, Fraal, etc. sounds excellent!

(Rubs his hands together) Ex-Cellent!!!

Cyber

Don't worry. Its all wrapped up tighter than a straitjacket.

President

We could have the Berrik ruins be one of the focal centers of civilization for the ancient race, perhaps Race 2's version of New York City or Chicago or something similiar.

Do you plan on writing 1 more "part" about your team traveling to Berrik? I'd like to know when we can "integrate" and streamline both our "expeditions".

Other than these, I'm not sure when I can get my next story post down. I mean, I have like 7 things to cover in it, but the problem is that I still can't use my home computer to sign into Apolyton. So I have to use the college computer, and they have limited hours of operation, ya know?

So sit tight.

BTW, I'd welcome new talents and authors into the story, willing that they follow our guidelines and don't turn into Mellian Jr. or something.
Old October 3, 2002, 11:00   #152
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Quote:
BTW, I'd welcome new talents and authors into the story, willing that they follow our guidelines and don't turn into Mellian Jr. or something.
???

still wondering why you people hate me even despite the past mistakes i apoligized for and promised that i wouldn't do the same. also, i helped set up the guidelines! the idea that i cannot follow them is pretty silly

-Mellian
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2002, 18:59   #153
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 04:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Sovereign
Hmm, the background information about the aliens and the Bree, Gorn, Fraal, etc. sounds excellent!

(Rubs his hands together) Ex-Cellent!!!

Cyber

Don't worry. Its all wrapped up tighter than a straitjacket.

President

We could have the Berrik ruins be one of the focal centers of civilization for the ancient race, perhaps Race 2's version of New York City or Chicago or something similiar.

Do you plan on writing 1 more "part" about your team traveling to Berrik? I'd like to know when we can "integrate" and streamline both our "expeditions".

Other than these, I'm not sure when I can get my next story post down. I mean, I have like 7 things to cover in it, but the problem is that I still can't use my home computer to sign into Apolyton. So I have to use the college computer, and they have limited hours of operation, ya know?

So sit tight.

Soooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrreeei iigggnnn.....The Dosi are sending a little "Persuasion" to our stand off to help The UCS Commander see the Protectorate's point of view....
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2002, 21:38   #154
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 18:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Sovereign

President

Gladly, sir. That sounds like a good idea re: focal centers of civilization.

The Temple is my favorite part of the parts of the story I've written (does that make sense? ) along with the soccer fans, and I'm working with both of those ideas to make some entertaining stories.

I only beg a small indulgence in terms of time, as I've got quite a bit of work right now and I'm approaching exams again.

Quote:
I think it could greatly help us to introduce new talent. But perhaps we should interview them first, or something.
Old October 3, 2002, 22:22   #155
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

A thought
Perhaps prospective writers are put off by our spam volume of posts, in-jokes, and the like.
Old October 4, 2002, 03:01   #156
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:04
That's possible. I wonder what happened to that guy who wanted to do the Martians?

Quote:
The Spartans didnt necessarly live for war.
Riiiight. I guess that was why they sent their children into boot camps from infancy.

Quote:
They only went to war when there was no way out or the chances for victory were damned good.
Which, considering how good at it they were, was most of the time.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2002, 03:07   #157
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

As for attracting new writers, could we just do something like have a link in our sigs to BAC and then say 'new writers welcome'? Of course we'd have to make sure that was actually true...
Old October 4, 2002, 03:36   #158
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
That's possible. I wonder what happened to that guy who wanted to do the Martians?

Riiiight. I guess that was why they sent their children into boot camps from infancy.

Which, considering how good at it they were, was most of the time.
There were plenty of times when it was the Spartans that initiated peace even when they superior. Their attention was always directed against the Helots that they lived off of. The Spartans never assembled that many men at any one time. They could not afford to go off and spend a lot of time fighting when their slaves outnumbered them 10 to 1 and they rebelled off and on. Sure they prepared for war, but they couldnt afford to spend too much time actually doing it. If you want to talk about a city that used its military and might to coerce, look to the democratic Athens. It was them after all that took the treasury of the Dellian league and used it to fortify their city.

In the end Sparta didnt fight any more then Athens or the other city states. They just did it a little better and were a little less polite about it.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2002, 03:48   #159
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Huh? I never said the Spartans used their military to coerce (well, until Lysander anyway). I was just making a comment that the Spartans WERe very good at fighting, for much the same reason as your Spartans are.

Quote:
In the end Sparta didnt fight any more then Athens or the other city states. They just did it a little better and were a little less polite about it.
They also seemed to be much more enthusiastic about the whole idea.
Old October 4, 2002, 06:08   #160
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
I wonder what happened to that guy who wanted to do the Martians?
He asked Mellian for advice.

No, do we seriously want more writers? If so, the signatures would be an appropriate place to start.

Beyond that, I suppose we could make a thread in AC-General or something, and also at SpaceBattles and other appropriate message boards.
Old October 4, 2002, 13:06   #161
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:04
New writers... I'm a bit indifferent at the moment. The Martians are btw no longer really an available faction, but I hope that won't matter since Centauri18 seems to be gone for good*.

New peeps have pros and cons. I mean, someone who has just entered the story and wants to write has to read over 250 posts of the story to get hang of what's going on. Well not all of them, but how do you separate the most crucial ones from the 'spacefiller' posts? In this sense, timewarps every now and then would be good to sum things up, to tie up the plot threads and to start anew... to 'defrag' the story, so to speak.
Old October 4, 2002, 13:09   #162
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

* Have you ever thought what would happen if you just went, and, well, died? In Internet sense, that is. If you are like me, and really have no economical or otherwise straightforwardly materialistic interests or holdings over the 'net with other people, you'll become one of these Centauri18s and just fade away. Because, well, it's highly likely that many Apolytoners have died after registering... eesh, gives me the shivers thinking about this stuff. But my point is that when people 'disappear', a la Avenoct/Smack, they might very well be *dead*.
Old October 5, 2002, 03:14   #163
Mr. President
Emperor

I'm absolutely, unconditionally opposed to time-warping in Beyond Alpha Centauri-type projects. Sorry for the vehemence, but I think they disrupt continuity and story flow.

But your post got me to thinking. Perhaps what we need is a summary of the story for people who started reading late and/or prospective writers. We could put it in a thread, or someone could just keep it on their Apolyton notepad in case it was ever needed.

The problem with that could be that reading the summary thread might be preferable to reading the story thread, since, like you mentioned, the latter is indeed very very long.
Old October 5, 2002, 05:27   #164
Mr. President
Emperor

Happy birthday, Sprayber!

Old October 5, 2002, 06:52   #165
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hey, like Mr Prez said,

Happy B-day Sprayber! You were the first Apolytoner to greet me to this site as well as give me "the ropes"...for that, I owe you more than you could know. Happy Birthday, man!

Okay, enough sentimental stuff froma would-be-tyrant:

I agree (again) w/Mr. Prez. I oppose a time-warp. I also support a summarization of things that have passed in the BAC storyline for those who are thinking of joining BAC.

(I remember when I was new here and wanted to join BAC, everyone agreed to my "takeover" of the Human Hive.)

Also, what Kass has pointed out is that that the main story thread is basically for us that have joined BAC from the beginning.

Cybergod, GeneralTacticus, Lonestar, Mr. President, Sprayber, Silence, Sovereign, frankychan, and the rest. (i apologize if I have forgotten your name). I have thought that BAC has developed into an "Elitist Thread" and have thought that maybe those other newbies to AC would want to join BAC but may be too intimidated by the length of the thread itself.

(sorry if I'm rambling, but I've had a coupla drinks )
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2002, 08:35   #166
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
Funilly enough a drunken merciless tyrant would make complaints against elitism...

BTW, Srecan Rodjendan Sprayber!!!

BTW it means Happy Birthday in Serbian

I've written up my post on paper so it would take me a little longer to post it

PS. How d'y'all like my avatar
Old October 5, 2002, 09:00   #167
Sprayber
Emperor

Thank you guys for the birthday wish. I am against a time warp for many of the same reasons that have been mentioned. But the idea of a summary is good so I will get to work on implamenting one. Maybe it won't be a complete summary but just desescribing what has happened. This way it hopefully wont keep them from actually reading the story thread. Ideas are appreciated on how to do this.

BTW.

How did each of you find BAC to begin with? Maybe we can get ideas on how to bring it back to the people sort of speak.

Cool avatar Cybergod
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old October 5, 2002, 13:10   #168
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
Quote:
Cool avatar Cybergod
Cheers.

I found BAC by just flicking through the AC forums and I was curious what goes on in the Fiction forums. So I just popped in, read about a discussion about BAC in a thread and posted my interest! At first though, I feared immediate rejection since I was new and many of the people (like Kass) are writers whose excellent work I've read about. So I was more than relieved to be allowed to join!
Old October 5, 2002, 18:25   #169
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
How did each of you find BAC to begin with? Maybe we can get ideas on how to bring it back to the people sort of speak.
I'd been going through the AC-Fiction forum for a while before I registered, and I decided to join BAc a couple of days later.
Old October 5, 2002, 20:26   #170
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Cool avatar Cybergod
I second that.

Quote:
The Chiron Chronicle was in the middle of a timewarp and I saw that Sprayber had posted a thread called "Thinking of a New Story Thread" or some such. I thought it was a good idea and said so very quickly, but didn't start actively contributing ideas, let alone actively join up, for a couple of weeks.

But before that, I joined the Chiron Chronicle by reading through some of the most recent discussion posts and posting (very cautiously) my interest to join. I had already been interested in Alpha Centauri fan fiction due to an abortive attempt to write some of my own. Unfortunately, AC-Fiction doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic these days, probably contributing to the lack of "walk-ins" like myself, Franky, the General, and Cybergod.
Old October 6, 2002, 05:40   #171
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mr. Prez-you're brutal!

"How I found BAC"...well, I joined Apolyton and just stuck around the General AC thread. I got adventurous (sp?) and lurked in here. After looking over the newly created BAC sign-in thread, I decided to join. Since no-one was signed up to be the Human Hive, I volunteered...the rest is history. Basically I came upon BAC by curiosity and courage.

Cybergod- Avatar rocks! Where'd it come from?....and your pretty brutal too for jabbing me when I was a little tipsy. I may be an apiring tyrant, but I have feelings too!

(I see Mr. President has continued his Mell quotating...)
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2002, 07:56   #172
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Mr. Prez-you're brutal!
At least Mellian (if that was what you were referring to) never advocates genocide like CyberGnu. Some people in the OT carry around some really nasty quotations of his for the world to see.
Old October 6, 2002, 08:03   #173
Mr. President
Emperor

Hey Final Fantasy lovers!
I just a minute ago ran across a Final Fantasy website that might be fun. It's got fan art, and a forum, and probably other cool things (I haven't taken a good look at it yet). Check out: www.ffgurus.net.
Old October 7, 2002, 03:52   #174
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
At least Mellian (if that was what you were referring to) never advocates genocide like CyberGnu. Some people in the OT carry around some really nasty quotations of his for the world to see.
Can you list some of them? I'd like to add them to my quotes file.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; October 7, 2002 at 03:57.
Old October 7, 2002, 04:49   #175
Mr. President
Emperor

Here's one I ran across myself:

Quote:
"Well, then we should wipe you from the face of the earth. Israel does not have a place among civilized nations with that mindset..."
This is The Mad Monk's signature:

Quote:
"As it is, the guy killed a settler... And that is reprehensible how?" - CyberGnu, who has requested that I clarify in the above quote that "settler = invading soldier".
"Well, there we're back to that oxymoron again: innocent civilians of Israel ..." - CyberGnu, who did not request any clarification on this one.
Noted peacenik Sirotnikov, though, holds the record as far as I know with a whopping three CyberGnu quotations in his signature:

Quote:

"The whole plan of Israel was to milk post-holocaust sympathy until it had occupied the land long enough for people to forget that it was stolen in the first place."

"The festering wound that is Israel corrupts the entire civilized world, showcasing how propaganda and sufficient bribe money for politicians can overcome ideals such as justice and freedom."

"I thought Israel already had a national anthem... What is the name again... Israel Uber Alles?"
I'm sure there are many more out there, but these are all the ones I can find easily. You'd probably be able to find some other "enlightening" quotes by looking through his post history.
Old October 7, 2002, 05:22   #176
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Thanks. I've added them to my quotes file for future refernce. Other people collect stamps or model cars; I collect quotes .

Quote:
I'm sure there are many more out there, but these are all the ones I can find easily. You'd probably be able to find some other "enlightening" quotes by looking through his post history.
That might be a bit difficult, seeing as how I have him on my ignore list and have no intention of removing him...
Old October 7, 2002, 05:32   #177
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

btw guys, I will be leaving in a couple of days time for my aunt's place, as my parents are going to Bendigo to organize a big orienteering event. I don't know if I'll be able to use the internet there, but I'm not counting on it and I won't be able to use it nearly as much, though I may be able to do some posting from school. Just though you should know.

EDIT: I expect to be back sometime on Sunday.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; October 7, 2002 at 05:38.
Old October 7, 2002, 10:01   #178
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Ah! Another short period of internetless-ness (is that a word?). Two days. The horror!

The summary idea sounds good. I might be needing some catching up with the story, so I could write it.

Quote:
and many of the people (like Kass) are writers whose excellent work I've read about

'tis a bit late, but happy birthday Sprayber. You're a real friend.

IIRC, it was Sprayber in the first place who got me writing CC and leaving the Off Topic, well, at least for the time being. And after CC, in came BAC - I remember participating in the discussion in the very first thread about the new idea, so, like many of you too, I've been here since the beginning.
Old October 7, 2002, 14:04   #179
Sprayber
Emperor

Spartan Intelligence has intercepted information dealing with a dark planet outside the orbit of Pluto in the Sol system. Agents have been sent to investigate.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992889

check out the animated giff of the orbits.
Old October 7, 2002, 15:18   #180
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Oh, good that you pointed that out. Looks like BAC was in a sense ahead of it's time. And some science fiction is meanwhile rendered obsolete, once again.

Btw, is AC Fiction of Poly the only AC Fiction community over the internet? Are there any others?