Old October 12, 2002, 08:15   #211
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
By the way....

I haven't forgotten your little "message" Lonestar, it's just that I've been a little busy trying to make the UCS-GHE alliance thing happen.

I'll get to it in due time and then Lord Ian and Emperor Yang can.....discuss the matter in a civilized fashion.

"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2002, 09:55   #212
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
HBD Silence. Wanha, as the Finnish say ("Olde").

Quote:
Wish I had a free A+
I got one from English. The teacher just glanced at my workbook and said: "You don't have to do the course exam. I'll give you 10 (Finnish A / A+) for the course." My thanks to BAC.
Old October 12, 2002, 21:44   #213
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 18:04
It's not spam if it helps you pass a subject in school.
Old October 12, 2002, 21:53   #214
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Disregard.

Please don't get offended by the relative size of the flags, the Australian one doesn't show up well on the "Choose Your Country" field . . .

Hope you and yours are all right, Kassiopeia and GeneralTacticus.

Last edited by Mr. President; October 13, 2002 at 05:10.
Mr. President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2002, 06:21   #215
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Kass=Good work!

I'm glad that the dreaded Apolyton has contributed toward your studies!

Mr. Prez- I'm not offended at all by your flag. Aussieland and NZ are good friends w/Hawaii
Old October 13, 2002, 06:25   #216
Mr. President
Emperor

Pacific solidarity, eh?

The reason I put it up is because almost 200 people, as many as three-quarters of them Australian, died in a double bombing on the Indonesian island of Bali last night.
Old October 13, 2002, 06:33   #217
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:04
Quote:
Hope you and yours are all right, Kassiopeia and GeneralTacticus.
Quote:
The reason I put it up is because almost 200 people, as many as three-quarters of them Australian, died in a double bombing on the Indonesian island of Bali last night.
Yes, we're all fine (not that there's any real reason why we wouldn't be). And I finally got back home today, several hours earlier than expected. Didn't have much to say at the time though.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2002, 07:16   #218
Mr. President
Emperor

They're still identifying victims, so I just meant if you had any relatives or anything like that over there.
Old October 13, 2002, 14:49   #219
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Mr. President, wow... It's always a bit strange to see an act of sympathy like that. Gives a warm, fuzzy feeling. My family has some friends living at Vantaa but they are fine.

But keep in mind that in the ME similar kinds of *organized* attacks are almost daily. I'm not taking a pro-Israeli stance here, but I have always been against mindless killing.

Quote:
Ouch. What a crazy world. (I'm just surviving from a very messy triangle drama involving me, my former best friend and my girlfriend. It's been indirectly responsible for my little... tardiness in writing. )

Quote:
I'm glad that the dreaded Apolyton has contributed toward your studies!
My (written) English has skyrocketed in quality in the past 15 months. My problems are no longer related to spelling or vocab, but I have trouble forming coherent sentences (problem I share with Finnish ). Nowadays most of my written communication on a daily basis happens in English, so much that I've started to fear that my written Finnish might suffer. It's bad, because my current plan is to become a journalist.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; October 13, 2002 at 14:56.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2002, 18:48   #220
Mr. President
Emperor

Anyone can be touched, you know what I mean? My friend knew someone in Tower Two.

Since I oppose terrorism unconditionally, I feel this is the least I can do to contribute to combatting it.
Old October 13, 2002, 18:57   #221
Kassiopeia
Emperor

The Finnish bombing wasn't, as far as I'm concerned, terrorism... it was made by a single young student, who had lost his mind. He's intention was not to terrorize, he had no political agenda or any agenda, at that, to support with this. He just lost it for the last time. I've been reading his posts from a forum backup created from an explosive enthusiastic board he used, and his elevator really didn't go all the way up to the attic.

The only way to combat this is to make sure that people don't lose their mental health, and if they do, that proper care is taken of them.
Old October 13, 2002, 19:26   #222
Mr. President
Emperor

I suppose, if terrorism must have a political motive, then this wouldn't be. It's just my habit to call any attacks on civilians terrorism. But let's not argue about that.

So they know for sure who he was? Where is the forum? (He asks as if he would be able to make any sense of a Finnish explosive enthusiast forum. )
Old October 13, 2002, 19:45   #223
Mr. President
Emperor

On a lighter note . . .

I thought Final Fantasy was a game for the more cultured gamer. When we talk about it here, we use words like "intertextual" and "atmospheric".

Then I found this place.

http://www.ffgurus.net/forums/search...searchid=11227

Check this thread:

http://www.ffgurus.net/forums/showth...threadid=11424

Quote:
like the idea, but lets have it take place like in the after life like all the charicters r in heaven/hell and return to help fight this final evil that threatens the world or somethin like that its kind of corny but o well, and all the old bosses would come back ass lesser monsters, and for once u could have Seph on ur team, it has a recruting system like Crono Cross, where depending on what u do in the game u can get certaint people and not others, but then do a new game + and get the others.
I bet you thought Apolyton's off-topic forum was weird.

http://www.ffgurus.net/forums/showth...threadid=14948

Quote:
Fresh sweat, bushy beards and hairy muscular behinds.
http://www.ffgurus.net/forums/showth...threadid=14825

Quote:
I love Jovian in a strictly homosexual way.
Quote:
I like swords!
"Hi, welcome to the HMFTF"
I like swords!
"Hi, welcome to the HMFTF"
I like swords!
"Hi...."
But there's nothing to fear, since there's some new blood coming in:

http://www.ffgurus.net/forums/showth...threadid=14974

Quote:
'Spamlad' is the name I use for the main male character in any RPG I play, ever since I used it for Cloud in FFVII.

I have no idea why. I also called Barret 'Chedda'.

Jesus... And to think I'd stopped smoking weed at that point...
Old October 14, 2002, 02:50   #224
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

About the Bali bombings... Somehow it didn't actually sink in until I read about it in the newspaper today. It just didn't seem real until now...NOw let's see people oppose going after Al-Quaeda. I don't think I even felt this angry on Sept. 11, though it's hard to tell, really.

Quote:
They're still identifying victims, so I just meant if you had any relatives or anything like that over there.
Not that I know of, though my mum has so many relatives I don't even know who they all are.
Old October 14, 2002, 02:52   #225
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

What actually happened in Finland, btw?
Old October 14, 2002, 18:43   #226
Mr. President
Emperor

A bomb exploded in a shopping mall, killing seven. The bomber was also killed, but I'm not sure if the seven counts him or not. He was a university-level chemistry student.

One little thing; didn't the Sari explode on October 12?

For myself, I was furious on both September 11 and October 12, since I love both Australia and America. My campus has its first confirmed casualty, so it's hitting very close to home.
Old October 14, 2002, 19:46   #227
Kassiopeia
Emperor

The bomber was included in the victims (7). Many of the dead were people only a year or two older then me, and among them was even a five year old girl.

http://www.roi24.com/kotikemia/ is the forum. He was a poster with the name 'rc' - if there's some posts you want me to translate, copypaste them and pm me. In the OT thread about the bombing I already translated a post or two.

But now I'll concentrate on being utterly ****ed up. For the past 13 hours I've done nothing except watched Evangelion. It's like a drug.
Old October 15, 2002, 03:28   #228
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
One little thing; didn't the Sari explode on October 12?
Yes, I realized that myself... on the way to school this morning. I fixed it as soon as I could get internet access.

Quote:
For myself, I was furious on both September 11 and October 12, since I love both Australia and America. My campus has its first confirmed casualty, so it's hitting very close to home.
My first reaction when I realized the full scale of the attacks was "If this happens again, I expect to see mushroom clouds blossoming over Mecca. " I don't think I was alone, either.

Quote:
The bomber was included in the victims (7). Many of the dead were people only a year or two older then me, and among them was even a five year old girl.
I gather this wasn't actually an organized attack?

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; October 15, 2002 at 03:34.
Old October 15, 2002, 03:44   #229
Frankychan
King

I think its all about the proximity of the attacks. The closer they are, the more it is put into perspective. An incident a world away may seem "unreal", but one next door seems real enough.

Bali and Finland, you guys are in my mind.

Let the victims of these despicable acts Take Names and Kick A**.
Old October 15, 2002, 03:56   #230
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

I know what you mean. I remember thinking last year, some time after Sept. 11 and when the war in Afghanistan had been going on for a while, that the whole thing didn't seem real any more. The shock had faded, and as it had no perceptible effect on my daily life, it just seemed to fade out.
Old October 15, 2002, 04:09   #231
Frankychan
King

Yeah, that's the crappy thing about it. We need a tragedy such as the Finnish explosion and the Bali terrorist acts to wake us up again.

It's pretty shocking to witness what depth human cruelty can descend to.
Old October 15, 2002, 04:55   #232
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

btw guys, have any of you actually found anyone (IRL this is) who supports the terrorists? I've found all of 1 guy, in my class at school.

EDIT: Probably a good thing he's the only one.

EDIT 2: spelling.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; October 15, 2002 at 05:23.
Old October 15, 2002, 08:21   #233
Mr. President
Emperor

None so far but I'll keep my eyes open. There was a poster on campus a while ago cheering for the "brave al-Qaeda warriors" and urging them to "kill the monsters in American and Australian military uniforms", but the people who espouse those views tend to stay out of the public eye. The poster was absolutely nauseating, but when I passed by after class it was gone.
Old October 15, 2002, 11:02   #234
Kassiopeia
Emperor

I know no terrorist supporters, OTOH I don't know too many people enough to have a decent turnout...

Quote:
I gather this wasn't actually an organized attack?
Luckily no, just a nut. They've arrested the Kotikemia forum admin/owner over this, by the way. Might become very interesting, what his responsibility will turn out to be in this.
Old October 16, 2002, 03:49   #235
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
None so far but I'll keep my eyes open. There was a poster on campus a while ago cheering for the "brave al-Qaeda warriors" and urging them to "kill the monsters in American and Australian military uniforms", but the people who espouse those views tend to stay out of the public eye. The poster was absolutely nauseating, but when I passed by after class it was gone.
Apart from that one guy I mentioned (who doesn't seem to do anything except talk a lot, anyway), the closest thing to that I've seen was a bunch of posters put up about a 'National Resistance Conference', which referred to the War on Terror as a 'racist war'. In a way, of course, it is; it's just that the racism is largely on the other side.

Quote:
Luckily no, just a nut.
The timing of the attacks is, as Stefu mentioned in the OT Forum, rather suspicious in itself; 1 year, 1 month and 1 day after Spetember 11.

Quote:
They've arrested the Kotikemia forum admin/owner over this, by the way. Might become very interesting, what his responsibility will turn out to be in this.
Yes, that should be very interesting indeed.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; October 16, 2002 at 05:32.
Old October 16, 2002, 13:27   #236
Kassiopeia
Emperor

I really hope this new installment in the epic saga of Greg and Filkins (which I ruthlessly used to put my thoughts together and to summarize the latest events ) will wake up History Guy so that crap can finally hit the fan.
Old October 16, 2002, 20:27   #237
Frankychan
King

your pretty brutal, Kass.
Old October 16, 2002, 23:40   #238
Frankychan
King

I also like the new additions everyone.

Keep it up!

BAC WILL NEVER DIE!!!
Old October 17, 2002, 02:49   #239
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Good one, Kass.
Old October 17, 2002, 08:29   #240
Mr. President
Emperor

Go Kass! And go Greg and Filkins!