Old September 16, 2002, 15:18   #1
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 03:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
beginning to burn out...........
the more hype i hear, the less i'm beginning to care. think i'll ignore the whole thing til it actually comes out - then see the reaction to find out if ptw is a to be patched beta add - on, just like the origional. looks like some cool stuff, just hope its pretty well debugged - frustration po's me in something thats supposed to relieve stress.

i like ibble blibble
Old September 16, 2002, 15:59   #2
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 09:06
I don't think PTW is that much hyped..

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 16, 2002, 16:28   #3
WarpStorm
King

Really, where is the hype? Firaxis has hardly said a word on it. Nor has Infogrames. Most of the "hype" is just conjectures by fans, not real info or hype.
Old September 16, 2002, 19:23   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

agree with above thoughts. where's the hype? I guess if you don't want hype or interest in the game, then you shouldn't be on this site or at least this forum.
Old September 16, 2002, 23:53   #5
bigvic
Prince

jeez, ok, sure, no hype, gues i overstated it.

just wish we could get more.......hype

like solid info

i like ibble blibble
Old September 17, 2002, 14:46   #6
Caliban
Prince

Local Time: 10:06
True. We still depend on speculations about many parts of the addon...
Old September 17, 2002, 19:22   #7
Terser
Warlord

Local Time: 02:06
If anything, PtW should be promoted more. I don't know if Firaxis/Infogrammes is trying to save advertising dollars but the expansion seems to almost be coming in below the radar.

We're what--a month or so away from the expected release? No "Civ of the Week" on the official site. No flurry of screenshots. No elaborate articles from gaming sites that have received a preview build of the XP. Not much of anything to stoke the fan's excitement.

I know they can't hope to recapture the heady days before Civ III was released. But still, it almost seems as if they don't want PtW to get a lot of attention. Disturbing, to say the least.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old September 17, 2002, 20:06   #8
WarpStorm
King

I just saw a two page ad in PC Gamer. Maybe the marketing campaign is finally starting. I doubt Firaxis has much to do with the marketing though. That is most likely Infogrames. After all, it's their money.
Old September 17, 2002, 20:12   #9
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Terser
We're what--a month or so away from the expected release? No "Civ of the Week" on the official site. No flurry of screenshots. No elaborate articles from gaming sites that have received a preview build of the XP. Not much of anything to stoke the fan's excitement.
that's a good point

where are the civs of the week?
Old September 17, 2002, 22:19   #10
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:06
There hasn't been much hype though I still won't be buying it until I hear the quality of PtW from a few of our loyal Apolyton contributors.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 17, 2002, 22:32   #11
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
There hasn't been much hype though I still won't be buying it until I hear the quality of PtW from a few of our loyal Apolyton contributors.
Prudent, but I don't have the willpower.
Old September 18, 2002, 00:38   #12
bigvic
Prince

yeah, i'm going to wait a bit - i think.......

maybe hint around about xmas wishes........

would like to see bugs. got real p o'ed with origional

d@mnit! i want the scoop. guess i really do want more hype - solid real $hit syuff, you know?

i like ibble blibble
Old September 18, 2002, 12:32   #13
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 05:06
They will release info about the pack when they see fit. They are just more cautious about it, because of all the problems that Civ3 faced when it was released.

I also would like to hear what our fellow Apolytoners will say about the pack. If Coracle says that PTW sucks, then I know that I'll have to buy it.
Old September 18, 2002, 13:11   #14
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
They will release info about the pack when they see fit. They are just more cautious about it, because of all the problems that Civ3 faced when it was released.
I don't see why it would be detrimental to release real information about the new civs and their units and traits.

Unless of course they're still be tested and balanced, in which case it is understandable.
Old September 18, 2002, 13:18   #15
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Promotionary things even as simple as "Civ of the Week" would do them well even among their current fanbase. But while caution is good for them, if they continue to (at least seemingly) 'under-hype' it may serve to shoot themselves in the foot.
Old September 18, 2002, 13:39   #16
Antonin
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:06
Quote:
Originally posted by N. Machiavelli
Promotionary things even as simple as "Civ of the Week" would do them well even among their current fanbase. But while caution is good for them, if they continue to (at least seemingly) 'under-hype' it may serve to shoot themselves in the foot.
But I'm sure you'll agree that if they did say a lot about the upcoming release, a huge number of whiners on this board and elsewhere would start complaining about the evils of corporate hype machines.

Better, I think, to let the finished product speak for itself. They don't need to hype PTW, because look at the response that mere news of the upcoming release has generated right here.

Many fans of Civ type games know PTW is coming--and that's enough. Nobody is going to say on release day "I'm not buying it because the company didn't provide enough pre-release information!"
Old September 18, 2002, 14:20   #17
N. Machiavelli
Prince

It's a fact that it is impossible to please everyone all the time; but a balance of advertising vs faith on fanbase is key, I think. I just wonder if that balance is being reached and if Firaxis/Inforgrames is doing all that it can to achieve it.
There isn't much doubt in my mind that PtW will be a success among the Civ3 fanbase; but I also think that they can afford to give a little extra *oomph* to strengthen the product through advertising and still be 'tasteful'.
Old September 18, 2002, 17:49   #18
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
I don't see why it would be detrimental to release real information about the new civs and their units and traits.

Unless of course they're still be tested and balanced, in which case it is understandable.
Probably you are right on the spot. When Civ III was promoted with "Civ of the week" info, many things were still subject to change (mainly unique units stats and Civ's traits).

While it's understandable that balancing some value is a relevant part of the late test, sometimes people considered that a really late change, like a bad sign of hurried game test.

Maybe Firaxis prefer to play safe this time
Old September 19, 2002, 08:08   #19
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 05:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Maybe Firaxis prefer to play safe this time
They do. They already stated that before.
Old September 21, 2002, 19:27   #20
High_Lord
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:06
i can't wait to play Civ III multi-player it will be 10X funner me and my WARMONGER friends have been wanting to destroy each other for long time oh boy oh boy OH BOY!!