Old September 16, 2002, 21:23   #61
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Bush rejects Iraqs offer.

"This is not a matter of inspections. It is about disarmament of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction and the Iraqi regime's compliance with all other Security Council resolutions.

This is a tactical step by Iraq in hopes of avoiding strong U.N. Security Council action. As such, it is a tactic that will fail.

It is time for the Security Council to act"

Way to lose mr. president! Now, i have no idea what kind of pressure the US is puttin on other members of the Security council to move in a way to declare war, but for the president to reject this out of hand is one quick way of destroying the "all the US wants is to help the UN' persona he created on thursday. Bush is right, that this is just a tactic, but its the best one Iraq could use, and Powell will have a lot more work to get Bush's little vendetta going. I expect the Saudis and other wolrd leaders to hail this UN victory and start planning for a new inspection regime. Also watch for Blair to get pounded the next few days if the takes the same line.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 16, 2002, 21:33   #62
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 08:06
Bush is calling the shots, not Sadam. the inspections will be on UN terms not Sadam's. The offer was not Sadam's to make although he will have to put up or shut up when the final resolution is passed in a day or two. There will be no war unless Iraq refuses to comply with the upcoming UN resolution. This one will be a firm ultimatum, not another game for Sadam to play with.
Old September 16, 2002, 21:53   #63
Andrew1999
Warlord

Hussein could fulfill every single one of Bush's demands and there will still be a war. Remember, whenever you see anything about this war, that it's not about inspectors, or human rights, or (lol) UN resolutions. It's about a vendetta, pure and simple.
Old September 16, 2002, 21:57   #64
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

it is about Iraq being against the US

pure and simple

Jon Miller
Old September 16, 2002, 21:59   #65
leftover_crack
Settler

ya but the vendetta happened cause of all of those above. Iraq is like teathered goat at this point. The US is T-rex...

No matter. We will still strike Iraq on October 6th.
Old September 16, 2002, 22:38   #66
Kontiki
King

Local Time: 04:06
Yep, get on with attack. Otherwise, Saddam will just use WMD against Israel and the US just like he did during the first Gulf War.....
Old September 17, 2002, 03:02   #67
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if, that in the unlikely case the United States did nothing against Iraq, Israel decides to blow the hell out of it. Particularly if Iraq's alleged nuclear ambitions verge on becoming reality.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old September 17, 2002, 03:28   #68
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

There is always the Israeli solution...

Leak them the intel of what and where. Let them blow the hell out of it and then shelter them from international sanction, but...

That ain't the point, is it?

The point is an international renegade who has started more than 1 war and lobbed weapons at non involved nations.

The point is that the US has had enough of the bull sh!t of puszy footing around with lunatics from the ME who think that murdering civilians while in plain clothes or being safe behind a foreign capitol is a good idea.

The point is that there has been enough bull sh!t, and that to allow that particularly vile lunatic to gain bigger WMD would be to put the peace of the entire world at stake. What do you think would be the response from Moscow, Beijing, Paris, or Washington were a nuke to go off? Do you think a few million would die? Duh!

Last edited by notyoueither; September 17, 2002 at 13:16.
Old September 17, 2002, 03:30   #69
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln
Bush is calling the shots, not Sadam. the inspections will be on UN terms not Sadam's. The offer was not Sadam's to make although he will have to put up or shut up when the final resolution is passed in a day or two. There will be no war unless Iraq refuses to comply with the upcoming UN resolution. This one will be a firm ultimatum, not another game for Sadam to play with.
Unless its vetoed.
Old September 17, 2002, 07:39   #70
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 10:06
Old September 17, 2002, 07:53   #71
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Old September 17, 2002, 08:04   #72
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Local Time: 09:06
Nop, Saddam isn't working on his nuke actually.

Saddam was a really bad studient and was lurking at his femal classmate during atomistic lessons ...
Old September 17, 2002, 08:13   #73
Thucydides
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

The scary thing is that Doonesbury (as they often are) is pretty close to the truth here. Most people pay only scant attention to the events that lie outside of the there one narrow life, and purposefully ignorant of most things that even a junior high school student should know (Jay Leno q&A is a good example of this, also I've seen plenty of survey's showing how ignorant Americans are concerning basic things like geography, science and history). It's sort of amazing that democracy works at all with such an ignorant populance.
Old September 17, 2002, 09:11   #74
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Leno Q&A is set up. They choose the idiotic responses because they are supposedly funny.

That being said, yeah, the average American doesn't know much about the issues w/regard to Iraq. I had a quick debate at work the other day... and ran head-on into "Saddam is evil." Why? He has WoMD! So do we, and we've used 'em too. But he's evil! At which point I gave up.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 17, 2002, 10:45   #75
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:06
I was hoping for coercive inspections at the very least. What are the chances of that still happening?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old September 17, 2002, 11:16   #76
C0ckney
King

i think saddam has pulled a bit of a flanker here, it's a good delaying tactic and will make UN approval for an attack much more difficult to get..

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old September 17, 2002, 11:40   #77
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Same old, same old from most here...

This is a MAJOR victory for Bush, he made the UN actually back up a resolution, something NOBODY has been able to do in years.

Now, if Iraq tries ANY kind of obstruction, he can move quickly, because Iraq will have renegged AGAIN.

This could not have worked out better for Bush.
Old September 17, 2002, 11:52   #78
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Now, if Iraq tries ANY kind of obstruction, he can move quickly
chris, you seem to ignore the fact that bush is ignoring the iraqi statement and wants to move ahead anyway....
Old September 17, 2002, 12:03   #79
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

There's no statement by the administration saying they're going ahead with any attack. They've just said that Iraqs ploy is merely delaying tactic (and thats not good enough).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 17, 2002, 12:05   #80
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 11:06
A brilliant move by Saddam. As I earlier predicted he will let them in (though I predicted lots of other solutions as well ), stalling the attack and making it very difficult for the US to build up coalition.

But. There's another side, it can blow up his face. If he lets inspectors now, with full access to what they want and find something, it's war with new allies. There is no way he can avoid the war if they find something. Or if they restrict their inspections. Maybe he's using stall tactics and trusting his luck that nothing is to be found.
Big risks, brilliant play!

Bush would be brilliant if he just smiled and played the game. It's all about the game and how you play it (Triple-H rules). He should call the bluff (if there is any that is). He could make a statement that OK, we'll give you a chance, but this is your last one and if something goes wrong, you are facing attack in the same day. If there are WoMD to be found, it justifies the removal of Saddam completely. If not.. it gets more tricky. But if Bush calls the bluff, he gets coalition. If not, well, it's going to cost a lot since there are only few sharing the costs.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old September 17, 2002, 12:08   #81
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 11:06
Iraq has also invited lots of young politicians there, at least from Finland. That could mean he's gonna let the inspectors in too, and if kaka hits the fan, he has lots of nice hostages.
I hope no one goes until the sky is clear. If someone goes now, they have a death wish.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old September 17, 2002, 12:09   #82
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

ok, so given the latest Bush statement, when the rest of the security council will say "they might mean it, lets send the inspectors", what will be the bush position? "ok, you send the inspectors, meanwhile i'll start bombing"?
Old September 17, 2002, 12:27   #83
Andrew1999
Warlord

Should be interesting in the State Department legal office today. They have to write a resolution that is impossible for Iraq to comply with but not so bald-faced that it's rejected by the UN.

flashback to Austria/Serbia, 1914
Old September 17, 2002, 12:30   #84
walruskkkch
King

It appears that Iraq has set the condition that the inspections only apply to military bases. So much for the offer.
Old September 17, 2002, 12:33   #85
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by walruskkkch
It appears that Iraq has set the condition that the inspections only apply to military bases. So much for the offer.
Typical... Doesn't that just kind of scream out that there are places he doesn't want inspectors to see.

For a minute there, I actually thought he was pulling a good move. What a moron...
Old September 17, 2002, 12:36   #86
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
It's all about the game and how you play it
Wrong! It's all about control and who can take it.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old September 17, 2002, 12:37   #87
walruskkkch
King

He designated some 40% of his military bases as "Presidential Palaces" so limiting it so makes the inspectors useless. ALso they will never be able to see the labs in all those "Civilian" buildings.
Old September 17, 2002, 12:39   #88
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Maybe Saddam is preparing a devil trick : Inspectors could become Saddam hostage ...
Old September 17, 2002, 12:40   #89
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Looks like I was correct Mark.

I knew Saddam would attempt to put conditions on it, same old, same old, and since ol Koffi fell over himself thanking Bush, he's going to look awful stupid if he backs out now!
Old September 17, 2002, 12:42   #90
walruskkkch
King

Why did anyone expect any less from Saddam?