Old September 17, 2002, 07:13   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Last chat of the 3rd Administration
Tuesday, 2100GMT (2200 BST/1700EDT) will be the last chat and turns played for the 3rd Administration of Apolytonia. As I type this the new Admin is taking shape, under the capable hands of OPD and Apocalypse. As soon as the chat is finished and the save/report are posted, that's it for me and UnOrthOdOx.

If you have ever been meaning to come to a chat - this is the one to come to. We are in the midst of attacking Persia, and there will doubtless be many successful battles ahead - plus hopefully some conquests. Plus it would be nice to see as many there as possible. Play along with me if you like, or just watch as the war unfolds before you.

Thanks to everyone for bearing with me in my computer problems and chat ****-ups - it is very much appreciated.

I hope to see you in the chat, or the forums after.

For the last time as President,
MrWhereItsAt.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; September 17, 2002 at 08:01.
Old September 17, 2002, 07:20   #2
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:08
Re: Last chat of the 3rd Administration
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
As I type this the new Admin is taking shape, under the capable hands of OPD and Apocalypse. As soon as the chat is finished and the save/report are posted, that's it for me and Apocalypse.
I'm confused, so Apocalypse is quitting?
Old September 17, 2002, 07:46   #3
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:08
MrWIA, did you mean "That's it for me and UnOrthOdOx?" .

Will MWIA and MrWheresItAt be making guest appearences? adaMada and adaMada42 will try to appear, at least for a few minutes, but they can't promise anything .

-- adaMada
Old September 17, 2002, 07:59   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:08
Whhops. Tired mind. I did mean UnOrthOdOx.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 17, 2002, 08:34   #5
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

He's just trying anything to make me stay in...

I will arrive at the chat around 2200 GMT. That is the quickest my schedule will allow. So, take your time with the turns, will ya? I would like to stop by at least to say farewell.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 10:57   #6
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:08
2100 GMT... Let's see: This means 1800 in Apolyton time, right? So it will be 1700 in my local time...
My poor and old brain is tired, so tired... (and smaller, too)
I’ve been in too many bars playing my sax, too many girls, too many nights... err... hmm... smoking banana peels and drinking fermented banana juice.
Yes, we have to pay the price!
I'll be there!
Old September 17, 2002, 12:56   #7
GePap
Emperor

THe chat is in good ol' dalnet right? Haven't been to one since Pahraoh Ninot's time (am I showing my age?). Just out of curiosity, when did chats come back in, as opposed to turnthreads- it just passed me by.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 17, 2002, 13:09   #8
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

MrWIA has been playing them over much of the term, but using the orders from the turnthreads to speed the process along. It seems to be working about as well as can be expected over the last three chats.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 14:37   #9
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:08
This is important:

I quoted this from the The GL debate tread .

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
We have a few hours left. THIS MUST BE DECIDED BEFORE THE CHAT! Either to cancel the chat, (thus violating the CoL based on the new amendment, but that is a whole other topic), or to wait for the use of the GL. No one is likely going to build Sun Tzu in the next 5 turns, but it would prevent us an opportunity for another GL.

NYE, I think the concern is that Judges must APPEAR to be impartial. How can one now take these to court when you have so vocally pronounced your opinion and expect an impartial and fair trial.

Other methods could have been used to get this into the open. PMing someone outside of the court, perhaps? I would be happy to hear out your concerns in private and post if something like this arises in the future, thus maintaining the impartiality of the court...
So, what should we do?
Old September 17, 2002, 14:47   #10
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
The GL "issue"
Folks,

If the City Planner orders the building of Sun Tzu and Aggie orders the GL to move to that city and we rush build the wonder via City Planner orders, then it's done. There's not going to be any Court thread because nothing illegal was done.

But if the City Planner chooses not to build Sun Tzu, then it doesn't matter what Aggie chooses to do with the wonder, or what the informal poll says.

As GK's final act of office, he gets to decide. Sun Tzu or wait.

As a sidenote, I will most likely be in attendance for the turnchat, however, I am very busy in the office today and I will be somewhat idle and will have the chat going on my computer while I'm working at my desk on some cases for tomorrow. If I idle or lag a bit, that's why.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old September 17, 2002, 14:58   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

My opinion...

Since the CoL is silent on the control and use of GLs, I think the President should have a very large say in what is done. Perhaps agreement between the SMC, City Planner and the President would be a good idea, rather than a hot potato of jurisdictions.

The only thing I would like to stress is that the second poll, which may or may not be held up as a guide as to the wishes of the people, is in no way accurate and should not be used as such.

The choices were Army or ST. Army or wonder. If the decision is wonder, then what strategy for a wonder? That is unaddressed.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:01   #12
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 08:08
My first crisis! Our leader goes out in a scandal!

"RamsesGate"

Yuck! Yuck! I smell a Gazette story!
Old September 17, 2002, 15:05   #13
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I officially petition that the GL NOT be used this chat. The people should have a say, and since no official poll has determined their will, we should wait until that will is iterpretted. I have created a poll, and believe we should therefore wait.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 15:10   #14
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:08
Waiting is the LAST thing we'll want to do. Especially if it's because we can't decide fast enough.

There has been a lot of debate and (unofficial) polling going on, so I think a decision should be made based on these.

(what I REALLY think is to let poor Ramses decide for himself...)
Old September 17, 2002, 15:13   #15
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

The majority of the citizens stressed he be used now, by not using him for the next 5 turns you are siding with the minority and going against the wishes of the majority or Apolytonia's citizens.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:15   #16
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Personally, I see two real options:

Waiting to use the GL, or suspending todays chat.

I would support either, even though I am personally for Sun Tzu, we need to make this official IMO.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 15:15   #17
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The only thing I would like to stress is that the second poll, which may or may not be held up as a guide as to the wishes of the people, is in no way accurate and should not be used as such.

The choices were Army or ST. Army or wonder. If the decision is wonder, then what strategy for a wonder? That is unaddressed.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:22   #18
=OttomusCeasar=
Warlord

If you want this to be "a Democracy Game" I think there are only two options.

Postpone the chat until the end of the poll to clarify what the people want to do.

OR

Use him for Sun Tzu as that appeared to be the more popular choice. I'm not going to say building Sun Tzu was what the majority wanted, but most people wanted to build the Sistine Chapel AND wanted to use Ramses immediately and we can't do both.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:32   #19
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:08
I posted this in the GL thread, by mistake

I say either we all agree or we hold it in reserve for 5 turns. I really want the game to go on. If we lose Sun Tsu and sistine, then we use our leader for an army. This is unlikely but possible. The odds are still in our favor it will be there in 5 turns. We will send 4/5 elites into battle in about 3 turns so we have roughly a 1/3 chance of getting a leader this turnchat. But that also means we have 2/3 chance of not. But hopefully me,MWIA and Godking can all agree then we'll do it now.
Aggie
Old September 17, 2002, 15:37   #20
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
I posted this in the GL thread, by mistake

I say either we all agree or we hold it in reserve for 5 turns. I really want the game to go on. If we lose Sun Tsu and sistine, then we use our leader for an army. This is unlikely but possible. The odds are still in our favor it will be there in 5 turns. We will send 4/5 elites into battle in about 3 turns so we have roughly a 1/3 chance of getting a leader this turnchat. But that also means we have 2/3 chance of not. But hopefully me,MWIA and Godking can all agree then we'll do it now.
Aggie
We have a 1/3 chance of getting a GL this chat.
IIRC you can only have one GL at any one time so just waiting should not be an option.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:41   #21
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

What makes a poll "official" or "unofficial", anyway ?
Old September 17, 2002, 15:42   #22
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I change my stand:

I say we should suspend this chat and risk the fury of the courts for violating the very amendment I implimented. It is the only way all side can voice their opinion, and have it done officially. I can ask for the poll to be changed to a three day limit to speed the next turns play should we suspend todays turns.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 15:44   #23
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
What makes a poll "official" or "unofficial", anyway ?
Official polls must have certain rules apply. Open for at least 3 days, unbiased first post, options clear...All polls are considered official unless otherwise stated, or declared invalid by the court. Expect that last part to change, though, with the new constitution.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 15:48   #24
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
I change my stand:

I say we should suspend this chat and risk the fury of the courts for violating the very amendment I implimented. It is the only way all side can voice their opinion, and have it done officially. I can ask for the poll to be changed to a three day limit to speed the next turns play should we suspend todays turns.
Bhah just build the damn Zu.

The judges will probably screw you if you don't play the turns what with the changing administrator amendment.

Old September 17, 2002, 15:51   #25
=OttomusCeasar=
Warlord

Sun Who?

Sun Tzu.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:52   #26
BigFurryMonster
Emperor

At what time is the chat scheduled? The GMT notation confuses me a bit. Is Europe +1 or +2 from it?
(to answer: check out the time near my name in the left panel and compare it to your time)
Old September 17, 2002, 15:56   #27
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD

We have a 1/3 chance of getting a GL this chat.
IIRC you can only have one GL at any one time so just waiting should not be an option.
It is NOT 1/3!!!

It remains 1/16 for each battle. 5 battles will be 5/80, not 5/16...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 16:06   #28
BigFurryMonster
Emperor

I posted this elsewhere already:

-----
You can come up with the correct formula in the following way: every battle, the chance of NOT getting a Leader is 15/16. The chance of this occurring 5 times in a row is: (15/16)^5, or 759375/1048576 = (about) 72%. So, the chance of getting AT LEAST ONE Leader is 100% - 72% = 28%
Old September 17, 2002, 16:06   #29
=OttomusCeasar=
Warlord

Quote:

It is NOT 1/3!!!

It remains 1/16 for each battle. 5 battles will be 5/80, not 5/16...
Now who's distorting math.

The more Elites you have winning battles, the better chance you have at getting a GL not the opposite.

If this Elite fails to generate a GL it does not decrease the odds of the next one. Which is exactly what your numbers suggest.

Five successful attacks are 5 1/16 shots at a GL or 5/16 (5 chances out of 16) by sheer mathmatics it does come out to a roughly 33% chance of generating a GL. They are independent however as 16 attacks is not a guaranteed GL but the statistical odds are that you should have a GL after 16 attacks.
Old September 17, 2002, 16:08   #30
OPD
King

BFM: it will be 11 o clock your time I hope.

UnOr: I dunno I was just quoting Aggie.

Snip
Statistics sucks

Last edited by OPD; September 17, 2002 at 16:28.