View Poll Results: Should we upgrade to Version 1.29?
Yes upgrade 39 75.00%
No don't 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 17, 2002, 10:25   #1
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Upgrade to 1.29
Many of use 1.29 and some even have both versions on their comp so that they can play 1.29 and still play along easily with the demo game.

A previous unofficial poll showed that 93% can use 1.29

I don't know the exact specifics of the 2 versions interactions. 1.21 can be loaded onto 1.29 but can a 1.29 save be loaded onto a 1.21?

So should we switch to 1.29?
Old September 17, 2002, 10:30   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 09:08
Once the game is saved as 1.29, it is forever lost for 1.21 users. Anyway, upgrade, it pays. 1.29 has a lot of benefits relating research and gameplay.
Old September 17, 2002, 10:50   #3
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Our Scientists have discovered Feudalism. Should we upgrade to pikeman? YES - we should.

Our Scientists have also discovered version 1.29. Should we upgrade?

I'm on 1.29, and can't switch back to 1.21. Some game play elements turn out to be different on my system. In other words - I can't build spearmen anymore.

If, indeed, more than 90% of the users can use 1.29, do it. The patch is free for download! The others can still follow the game from its reports and maps.
Old September 17, 2002, 11:02   #4
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:08
Is it possible to install the 1.21 in the same computer without harm the main installation of 1.29? In a different folder, or something?
Old September 17, 2002, 11:22   #5
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
When I took the job of FAM I had to reinstall CivIII and locate the .21 patch, which wasn't easy. Luckily, MrWIA found a remote copy of the patch for me. But all in all, it was a pain in the ass. I almost didn't want to have a job in the government if I had to downgrade my computer, but I made the sacrifice.

I prefer .29 and voted that we upgrade. But I do want to note that .29 and .21 are different. Trade deals have different costs and values in particular.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old September 17, 2002, 11:27   #6
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Upgrade, I believe the lack of using 1.29 is a significant factor to the decline in willing candidates for office.

I know that I have no intention of running, but might reconsider if the game is played on 1.29, I simply don't want to have to install the old version back on my computer.
Old September 17, 2002, 11:29   #7
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

bhah why isn't there a close on this poll.
I thought I put a 3 day on this but perhaps I need to read that FAQ about making polls.

Anyway the poll closes at about 4 GMT saturday. Unless one of the judges says the poll has to last longer.
Old September 17, 2002, 11:37   #8
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:08
Two people voted against the upgrade, so far. Could they explain why?
Old September 17, 2002, 11:45   #9
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:08
Question before I vote to upgrade(I have waiting to for a while). I heard things sometimes get weird if you use a 1.21 save for 1.29 is this ture or just another battleship vs spear event that is so rare as to be no important.
Aggie
Old September 17, 2002, 12:32   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
Question before I vote to upgrade(I have waiting to for a while). I heard things sometimes get weird if you use a 1.21 save for 1.29 is this ture or just another battleship vs spear event that is so rare as to be no important.
Aggie
It's never done anything weird with me.
Old September 17, 2002, 13:37   #11
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:08
Yes reverting back to 1.21 is indeed a pain, and caused me to cease playing on my own all together. One CAN have two copies, if you have a nice enough computer, but I do not. How many will be left out if we change, however.

Oh, and expect Germany to be a bit more agressive. My shortest game ever, Germany archer rushed me in 2950 BC(took out a settler stack and my capital with 4 archers then proceded to my last town...and that was only on Monarch, first game of 1.29 I played.)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 14:22   #12
OPD
King

bhah 3 no votes thats too many.

I bet the law is just waiting to quote clause 7 on me so I better switch to 1.21 rather than be dragged through the courts.

An ammendment to the bill of rights would probably be needed before this poll could be valid.
Hopefully the CC will look into this??
Old September 17, 2002, 15:13   #13
Robber Baron
Prince

The main objection to upgrading when we polled this question before was the fact that it would exclude mac players and players with non-English versions. Is this still the case?
Old September 17, 2002, 15:16   #14
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron
The main objection to upgrading when we polled this question before was the fact that it would exclude mac players and players with non-English versions. Is this still the case?
So, how many Mac and non-English Presidents have we had?

How many were candidates?

The President is the only one who has to play the game, and I feel it may be limiting our choices of presidential possibilites.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:43   #15
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

How many Mac and foreign players are there? Can the foreign 1.21 players access the saves at this moment?
Old September 17, 2002, 15:57   #16
OPD
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
How many Mac and foreign players are there? Can the foreign 1.21 players access the saves at this moment?
The problem is can we get mac or other users who can't upgrade to come forward? Is it ethical? Would you really want to come forward and say "Me it's my fault you can't upgrade".
We can do these kind of polls but some people insist on voting no just to upset things.
Old September 17, 2002, 16:15   #17
BigFurryMonster
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD

Would you really want to come forward and say "Me it's my fault you can't upgrade".
I would.
Old September 17, 2002, 16:23   #18
OPD
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
I would.
Yeah but there's no way I would.
Old September 17, 2002, 16:26   #19
=OttomusCeasar=
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD

Yeah but there's no way I would.
Is OPD a closet Mac user?
Old September 17, 2002, 16:39   #20
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

A few days ago, I sat down and worked out a Dual install of Civ 3.

Here's the procedure I used. I'll follow this with a procedure containing only the steps that I think you need -- in retrospect, I did more than neccessary. Having said that, I'm guessing a bit on the second list, so here's what I did (which I'm pretty positive will work):
  1. Install Civ 3. (When you do, it may help to give a descriptive name, such as 'Civ 3 demogame' or 'Civ 3 1.21f' if you plan to follow the uninstall step)
  2. Download and install 1.21f (you can find that by going to the Firaxis web site (www.civ3.com), clicking on the link to download 1.29f, and changing the url from a 9 to a 1 -- I may go find it and edit in the correct URL in a sec).
  3. Copy the Civ 3 folder to your desktop.
  4. Find the Civ 3 nocd crack, and install it to the version on your desktop.
  5. Uninstall Civ 3.
  6. Reinstall with a different folder name
  7. Install 1.29f into the new copy.
  8. Copy the Civ 3 folder on your desktop back to it's original folder
This will provide you with two folders -- one with 1.29f and one with 1.21f. I think that I took some loopholes that weren't necessary here, however, and from my experience this is the simplest procedure that I think might work:
  • Install Civ 3
  • Install 1.21f.
  • Copy the Civ 3 folder to another folder (such as desktop)
  • Install 1.29f.
  • Rename the Civ 3 folder on the desktop to something like "Civ 3 1.21f".
  • Copy that folder back

If I'm guessing correctly, this'll also provide you with two copies of Civ 3. The obvious disadvantage of this method is that it takes a lot of extra space, but if you've got a huge hard drive like I do, then it might be alright for you.

Please let me know if these instructions are clear -- I'm not taking the normal time to proofread, since I really don't have much time, but I'd be happy to clarify for anyone later.

-- adaMada
Old September 17, 2002, 16:43   #21
OPD
King

Cheers ada my little brothers already found a 1.21 version so Ill show him this and tell him to get cracking
Old September 17, 2002, 16:45   #22
BigFurryMonster
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
  • Install Civ 3
  • Install 1.21f.
  • Copy the Civ 3 folder to another folder (such as desktop)
  • Install 1.29f.
  • Rename the Civ 3 folder on the desktop to something like "Civ 3 1.21f".
  • Copy that folder back

If I'm guessing correctly, this'll also provide you with two copies of Civ 3. The obvious disadvantage of this method is that it takes a lot of extra space, but if you've got a huge hard drive like I do, then it might be alright for you.
Actually, you'll have 3 copies by then, since you used 'Copy' twice. But I get the point.

Why would some crack be necessary ..?
Old September 17, 2002, 16:54   #23
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:08
People, if you voted no and you don't want to post, either PM me or OPD regarding this and we can move forward. If we don't hear anything, can we assume that the no votes are just to be stuborn? How many ministers are lacking the ability to upgrade? How many potential ministers?

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 17, 2002, 17:43   #24
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Oh yes, forgot to say -- delete copy on desktop when you're done.

I originally though the nocd crack would be necessary for the dual install (long reasoning, won't go into it here). (I HATED the idea of using it, but since I do legally own the game and just wanted to do something the game should have let me do in the first place...) In hind sight, I don't think it's necessary anymore, so I took it out of the second instructions set (the condensed version).

-- adaMada

EDIT: Later I'll find an old post from Shiber on a way to switch back and forth without two installs (saving a lot of hard disk space) and will quote it here (adding numbered instructions to help if people ask for them). I'll also edit my first post and clarify, and perhaps include Shiber's information.

-- adaMada
Old September 17, 2002, 18:19   #25
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 10:08
hi ,

UPGRADE !!

why on earth should we not do it , .....

if you can post here you can get the upgrade also from this site , ...... simple

and could the no voters please post this time as to why they vote no , .......

have a nice day
Old September 17, 2002, 19:32   #26
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by =OttomusCeasar=
The President is the only one who has to play the game...
No, it's a bigger question than that. Mac users would not be able to download the saves. Neither would non-English language version players.
(At least, that was my understanding. True?)
Not being able to download saves would SERIOUSLY undermine participation at any level.
Old September 17, 2002, 20:54   #27
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:08
OK. Please do not upgrade

In my previous post here, I asked people if they voted no and didn't want to post to PM me or OPD and explain their reasons. Did I get the reasons all right......

I must say that I do not understand why they are not posting, as the reasons were true and valid. Regardless, I say we should NOT upgrade at this time because of these PM's.

Soon, when PtW comes out, many of these issues will probably resolve themselves because by my understanding that will eliminate compatability issues and make upgrades of saved games "normal".

At that time, I suggest that we have this disscussion again. Until then, I say we stick with v1.21. I know I do not like it, but it is the only way to be fair to those who are not able/willing to do the upgrade. Because of the PM's I received, I will fight to keep us playing 1.21 including going to the courts if that proves necessary.

Peace.

GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 17, 2002, 21:31   #28
adaMada
King

If GK says there's a reason to stick with 1.21, then my vote's firmly behind 1.21f.

If anyone needs dual install/quick-upgrade-downgrade instructions, I'd be happy to help. If there's anything else I can do to help others who want to play 1.29f and also the DG, then I'd be happy to help. But if 1.29f will exclude people, then I we've gotta stick with 1.21f. I don't see it as a choice.

-- adaMada
Old September 18, 2002, 08:29   #29
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I voted no, what if the game crashes and wont work properly in 1.29f?

But it looks like it will be yes..

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 18, 2002, 08:54   #30
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Just being afraid of upgrading really isn't valid
But if Mac and foreign users will be blocked from playing, that is.

When is the patch due for them?

And can they even load our 1.21 saves now, or is this whole point moot?