View Poll Results: What should we do with the GL?
Build Sun Tzu 19 67.86%
Wait and build Sistine Chapel 5 17.86%
Wait for other reason (specify below) 0 0%
Build Army 2 7.14%
Build Forbidden Palace 1 3.57%
Abstain 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 17, 2002, 14:56   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
OFFICIAL: What to use the GL on.
Options:

Build Sun Tzu
Wait and build Sistine Chapel
Wait for other reason (specify below)
Build Army
Build Forbidden Palace
Abstain (have him harvest bananas)

This poll will close in 4 days.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 15:02   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

This is in response to this thread:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=62146

Aggie admitted the other polls were unofficial, therefore and official poll should be created to interpret the will of the people.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 15:04   #3
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 08:09
Re: OFFICIAL: What to use the GL on.
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
This poll will close in 4 days.
So, does he get to frolic with the interns for 4 days?

It seems like the poll is somewhat useless to those who want to use Ramses now.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:08   #4
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Waiting 5 turns will not make much difference. We will not lose Sun Tzu, and we only lose a REMOTE possibility of a second Leader. It is better to determine the will of the people than to procede without their voice.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 15:10   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Unfortunately, the best solution now would be to not click 'end turn' until this poll is done. There is no other way of satisfying all parties. Which of course will annoy those who wanted to play 5 turns today.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:10   #6
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:09
Waiting is the LAST thing we'll want to do. Especially if it's because we can't decide fast enough.

There has been a lot of debate and (unofficial) polling going on, so I think a decision should be made based on these.

(what I REALLY think is to let poor Ramses decide for himself...)
Old September 17, 2002, 15:11   #7
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:09
I think, reading from the discussion in the other thread, the will of the people is Sun Tzu... it seemed to have the widest spread support, and I think if someone went through and counted statements of support, they'd find that Sun Tzu's would win.

Having said that, I think we could wait a few turns without much harm... as UnOrthO said, the chances of us getting another leader in the next turn is very remote.

-- adaMada
Old September 17, 2002, 15:11   #8
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

That is possible. (though technically against the CoL)

I could petition a MOD to change it to a three day poll, even, to speed things along?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 15:36   #9
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:09
I think it's better cancel the chat. Those barracks will help us a lot now.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:42   #10
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

we as one of the strongest and with the most military genuisses in our mids have only one simple thing to do. PAY TRIBUTE to the GREATEST of military minds. I hope that none of the SMC see this as a insult, the have done great jobs, but Sun Tzu will never find his math. so i say build the Sun Tzu
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old September 17, 2002, 15:45   #11
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
as UnOrthO said, the chances of us getting another leader in the next turn is very remote.

-- adaMada
We have a 33% chance during the next 5 turns.
Old September 17, 2002, 15:54   #12
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I assure you it is NOT 33%. The % is does not figure all your units in. It is 1/16 (without the epic, 1/12 with) per unit, you cannot add them up to make it higher. We will have a 1/16 chance for each of those battles. 5 you say? So we have a 5/80 chance=6.25%, not 33%.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 15:58   #13
=OttomusCeasar=
Warlord

Quote:
I assure you it is NOT 33%. The % is does not figure all your units in. It is 1/16 (without the epic, 1/12 with) per unit, you cannot add them up to make it higher. We will have a 1/16 chance for each of those battles. 5 you say? So we have a 5/80 chance=6.25%, not 33%.
Blah, I say 33%. It's not my number someone else came up with it but it supports my goals!

I think it was OPD and Aggie that came up with the 33%.
Old September 17, 2002, 16:01   #14
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:09
Actually - you can't do that math trick either. It would imply that no matter the amount of battles, the chance would be 1/16 (=5/80).

You can come up with the correct formula in the following way: every battle, the chance of NOT getting a Leader is 15/16. The chance of this occurring 5 times in a row is: (15/16)^5, or 759375/1048576 = (about) 72%. So, the chance of getting AT LEAST ONE Leader is 100% - 72% = 28%
Old September 17, 2002, 16:06   #15
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:09
Quote:
sigh...

I'm no math wiz, but this is elementary math. If the odds are 1/16, that means that you should get a GL once every 16 wins. The math works like this: let's say we get 8 wins with an elite units. 8 times the 1/16 chance --> (1/16)*(8/1) = 8/16 = 1/2.

Now I'm not sure how many wins we're going to get in the next turn, but it's certain that the more you win, the lower the odds that you get a GL.

Frankly, I'm in the VAST minority that would like to see a FP built with the GL (and I'm the only one), but I understand the point of those who want Sun Tzu NOW as opposed to later. It doesn't so much have to do with that wonder over another, it has to do with using the leader ASAP, so as to increase our chances of another appearing.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old September 17, 2002, 16:11   #16
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Never mind.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 17, 2002, 16:17   #17
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

DP
Old September 17, 2002, 16:18   #18
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I was going to do a spider diagram but they're really hard

I hate statistics

Anyway it's not as if any poll on this subject wouldn't show Zu as the winner.
Old September 17, 2002, 16:19   #19
=OttomusCeasar=
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas

sigh...

I'm no math wiz, but this is elementary math. If the odds are 1/16, that means that you should get a GL once every 16 wins. The math works like this: let's say we get 8 wins with an elite units. 8 times the 1/16 chance --> (1/16)*(8/1) = 8/16 = 1/2.

Now I'm not sure how many wins we're going to get in the next turn, but it's certain that the more you win, the lower the odds that you get a GL.

Frankly, I'm in the VAST minority that would like to see a FP built with the GL (and I'm the only one), but I understand the point of those who want Sun Tzu NOW as opposed to later. It doesn't so much have to do with that wonder over another, it has to do with using the leader ASAP, so as to increase our chances of another appearing.

--Togas
Finally a voice of reason!
Old September 17, 2002, 17:03   #20
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:09
OK. I abstain.

I would personaly build an army of swords.

Remember, if we build sun tzu's, the AI will switch to building michaels chapel, and with all the shields they already have built up, we will have no chance to build it. Also, if invention becomes available prior to running out of shields (ie prior to michaels being built) then the AI will also probably get that one also. So think hard. The FP we can switch to anytime as that is a minor wonder and I wouldn't waste a GL on one unless in dire straights.

OK. I will most likely do the will of the people unless it is something stupid like a temple rush...... in which case I will order what I feel is best for our nation and hope the prez agrees enough to follow.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 17, 2002, 17:08   #21
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:09
The recent events surrounding the GL debate has taught me two things:
1. None of you know math. Just kidding.
2. When the same option wins by a significant margin in one poll and by huge margins in two other polls it means that the people support it. You do something else like waiting and you're directly disobeying the people's will.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 17, 2002, 17:10   #22
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

I demand Art of War!!! Heck, maybe if all new units are vets, we can build less new units and build PEACEFUL stuff instead!

Peace!

BUILD IT THIS TURN! Don't let bureacracy interfere!

Peace!

*This has been a public protest brought to you by the DIA*
Old September 17, 2002, 19:42   #23
jdd2007
NationStates
King

an army is so appealing, but constructing a wonder would be a huge, even better event.

SUN TZU!
Old September 17, 2002, 20:30   #24
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

For everyone not in the Turnchat...

Based on the decision of the relevent ministers, a quick-poll of the people there, and the results of the poll here, there was a nearly unanimious decision to build Sun Tzu's in Ubergorsk. It has been completed, and we have it now.

More details will come later, but I didn't want to keep pepole wondering...

-- adaMada
Old September 17, 2002, 20:39   #25
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:09
I wanted an army too, but faces with overwhelming public opinion for Sun Tzu (I still don't know why ), I decided it was the choice.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 17, 2002, 20:48   #26
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I don't blame you MrWhereItsAt, but I think this is probally the biggest mistake we've made in the game so far. If we don't get another leader between now and when the persian war ends or get theology from another source, then I know it is
Old September 17, 2002, 21:32   #27
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

/me writes the book on how to ensure that the option you oppose gains overwhelming support.
Old September 17, 2002, 21:57   #28
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

NYE - can you please send me a signed copy of your book......

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 17, 2002, 22:07   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

We need to start a serious plan to get Theology so that if another leader is created we can build the Sistine Chapel. If not then I feel the next one should be used for an Army.
Old September 17, 2002, 22:25   #30
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by wervdon
I don't blame you MrWhereItsAt, but I think this is probally the biggest mistake we've made in the game so far.
agreed.