View Poll Results: What should we do with the GL?
Build Sun Tzu 19 67.86%
Wait and build Sistine Chapel 5 17.86%
Wait for other reason (specify below) 0 0%
Build Army 2 7.14%
Build Forbidden Palace 1 3.57%
Abstain 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 17, 2002, 22:49   #31
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm not sure if I agree with the biggest mistake thing -- to be honest, I'm quite sure that this thread would have come out the same as the past two if it'd had time to come to it's conclusion (sixteen in favor, with the next highest being three), and MWIA did a good job of gauging public opinion and making a tough decision. My hat's off to him.

As for the biggest mistake, I think there are advantages to owning Sun Tzu, and I think that it's by far not the WORST decision we could have made. I won't say that I don't wish there hadn't been more thought about future options -- because I do. Having said that, I don't think we've made a mistake -- we've just made another decision that will shape the way we play the game.

-- adaMada

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention! For those who don't know, we were able to 'aquire' Chilvary through the diligant work of the Foreign Ministry Representatives and Citizens at the chat. Sun Tzu, if nothing else, will really help with the upgrades that will probably follow this. In other words, even if you see no other advantages (and I do see other advantages), the situation is not lost.
Old September 17, 2002, 23:34   #32
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 02:09
I never said it was a mistake because of the nature of the polls. I believe and realize 75% of the population thought this was the best option. I just think they was wrong Its not often that Id say my position is right and 75% is wrong, but the long term benefits from getting the chapel on emperor dwarfs by far the benefits we get from the art of war. And to me the sure bet of waiting a bit with the leader and getting the sistine's would of been a better choice than taking a lesser option and hoping we get it from another leader which may or may not (probally won't appear). And honestly, Im not even convinced that the art of war even would of been better than an army, but thats neither here nor there now.

Oh and I never said the situation is lost, just that we didnt take an optimal choice in this case. But in any case, whats done is done, so we might as well move on and play the game and quit arguing about it
Old September 17, 2002, 23:44   #33
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:09
Quote:
Originally posted by wervdon
Oh and I never said the situation is lost, just that we didnt take an optimal choice in this case. But in any case, whats done is done, so we might as well move on and play the game and quit arguing about it
Old September 18, 2002, 00:05   #34
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:09
Quote:
Originally posted by wervdon
But in any case, whats done is done, so we might as well move on and play the game and quit arguing about it

I couldn't agree with this more; I only bothered to make the other post to try to bring everyone to agree on this essential point . What's done's been done -- I'm honestly not even sure that the other stuff's worth arguing over anymore.

-- adaMada