Old September 18, 2002, 00:20   #1
oetkenjc
Settler

Local Time: 08:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've got a problem
Uhm... hola my fellow gamers. I just purchased Call to Power this past weekend, and am already addicted. Thought I was on only a few hours... then looked at the clock and it was 4 in the morning... more than 8 hours after install.... enough of my addiction heh... I'm running into a problem. I played my first game... was good.. blah blah. I found this site by accident actually... and saw the Patch to download at the top right hand corner of the home page. So... I download it... run it... and start playing. So I'm playing right.... and all along, I keep on having text boxes pop up saying all kinds of crazy stuff. Stuff in German sometimes, under the message tab whenever I make a unit it just says "nonti" or something rather than the unit name and city, occassionally one will just pop up out of no where and say "blah blah needs to be added to the library text" or "blah blah oianfsnk: Send Recipient or Solensk" It's kinda tripping me out. wtf ? Did I download this patch in a wrong order or did I install wrong ? Ok... just had a thought. I just realized that I installed this patch... then continued a saved game... I'll check it out and make sure it's not me.... but I'll check back here just to see if I'm the only one with this problem... thanks in advance.

oetkenjc
Old September 18, 2002, 02:35   #2
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 18:11
You haven't done anything wrong, in fact it sounds like the patch installed correctly. You MUST start a new game after the patch though. The patch fixes a save game bug so therefore all prior saves are incompatible.

Have fun!
Old September 18, 2002, 05:34   #3
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 09:11
I thought it was vice versa.

Whatever, you should be able to get rid of the weird messages by opening the chat window (press ' ) and typing /reloadslic. Press enter, and the messages should stop.
Old September 18, 2002, 11:37   #4
oetkenjc
Settler

Local Time: 08:11
Thanks a lot. I typed the command in the game and it just made a beep noise and cleared the text, but left the box up. Soooo, I just figure until I finish this saved game I'll have to deal with it. I've got another question however.... I was reading about the debate between what being better... Civ 3 or CTP 2... and many say they like CTP 2 mod'd better. What exactly is the mod, and how do you implement it ? What exactly does it do ? Is it where you alter the icons of certain units and such by using the icons from other games ? If so... how do you go about do so ? Any help is appreciated... I enjoy the game a lot already, but if there's a way to make it even better.... I'm all ears..

oetkenjc
Old September 18, 2002, 12:28   #5
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 09:11
to close the box, simply type ' again.

Mods basically change some or more of the aspects of the game that are buggy, or not as good as they can be. This can be anything from a simple fix to alter some AI decision-making, to a complete overhaul of the tech-tree, unit, building, wonder lists, AI improvements, entire new concepts, and graphical changes.

There are many mods available, probably a good place to start is the CtP2 FAQ, and once you've understood all of that, (or most of that), check out this thread which gives a rundown on the 3 largest mods.
Old September 18, 2002, 12:35   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 10:11
Quote:
Originally posted by oetkenjc
Thanks a lot. I typed the command in the game and it just made a beep noise and cleared the text, but left the box up. Soooo, I just figure until I finish this saved game I'll have to deal with it. I've got another question however.... I was reading about the debate between what being better... Civ 3 or CTP 2... and many say they like CTP 2 mod'd better. What exactly is the mod, and how do you implement it ? What exactly does it do ? Is it where you alter the icons of certain units and such by using the icons from other games ? If so... how do you go about do so ? Any help is appreciated... I enjoy the game a lot already, but if there's a way to make it even better.... I'm all ears..

oetkenjc
To get rid of the chat window just press enter, as long you entered no text.

A mod is something that modifies the game, the the FAQ about it the topped thread in this forum. There are different kinds of mods one fixes the game other fixes and add a new tech three, new units, new buildings, new tile improvements, new governments. In fact they can alter more then just the unit graphics, especial in CTP2 you aren't limited to change/add units but you can also add new features thanks to SLIC. Did you ever wanted to see stuff like city expansion or visible wonders or did you ever whiched to be able to raze a city if you just conquered it, or seeing refugies, no problem in CTP2. Of course not every mod adds everything to the game, actual you can't add everything at the same time, so explore the Apolyton Directory to find mods.

Read the readme for how to install a mod.

-Martin