Old September 18, 2002, 09:40   #1
IRON_BRIGADE
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hungry People
how much food does each person in a city consume per turn?
Also, what is the standard for production coming out of a city in the opening game 4000BC (food/sheild/commerce) and when does this change and what makes it change for just the square that the city sits on?

Last edited by IRON_BRIGADE; September 18, 2002 at 09:47.
Old September 18, 2002, 09:51   #2
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 01:12
Two foods per turn. Which I believe is the way its always been. Thats part of what makes balancing population and food supply a challenge.
Old September 18, 2002, 11:23   #3
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:12
Bleyn is correct, however it is possible to change the value in the editor under the general stettings tab. Change the number to 3 or 4 and your cities might not grow very well, change it to 1 and expect a population explosion - get the longevity GW and you will see city sizes in the 40's and 50's. The biggest city I have seen with this tweak was 84. That was a wild game!
Old September 18, 2002, 13:37   #4
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 00:12
Each city square (the tile the city itself is sitting on) produces at least 2 food, 1 sheild, and 1 gold. With patch 1.29:
1. The city square always produces exactly 2 food, so it's best to place the city on a tile that normally has low food production, all else being equal. This allows you to get the food bonus from, say, a nearby Wheat or Cattle rather than having the city square eliminate it, and to raise the food production of, say, a tundra or desert tile by placing the city on it.
2. Your first city produces at least 3 commerce on the city square. I'm don't know whether it just always gives 2 more than normal, or always 3, or what. I also don't know whether this bonus moves along with your palace, or whether the tile's sheild production is limited to 1. Does anyone know the specifics on this?

For most city squares, the amount of commerce is the same as it would normally be if the tile were being worked with a road on it. I think that sheild production is the same as if the tile were worked by itself with no mine, except that it must produce at least 1 sheild. However, for Commercial civs the amount of commerce produced by City and Metro city squares is increased and for Industrious sheilds are likewise increased. I think the bonus is 1 for Cities and 2 for Metros for each, but I'm not sure.

To summarize the questions of my own:
1. Exactly how is the first city's city square production modified, and do these modifications apply to whichever city is the first you built or whichever is your capitol? If the former, what happens if the city is captured?
2. Is sheild production on city squares limited (other than by not being able to build a mine)?
3. What are the precise bonuses for Cities and Metros for Industrious and Commercial civs?
Old September 20, 2002, 07:26   #5
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 09:12
Plus when you get the ability to produce Railroads, all your cities are assumed to have railroads on them. I believe the result of that means an extra food if the city is not on a mountain, hill or tundra square (correct me if I'm wrong).