In short:
random(n) returns i, where 0 <= i < n
Old October 25, 2002, 11:22   #122
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
spent some time continuing my game from a few weeks ago today, and found out at which point it stalls, though i don't know what to do against:

civs continue splitting at a high rate, and whenever the max of 24 civs would be passed there happens one of two events. either a city turns barbarian which i don't like very much but don't really bother about. or the game crashes in the mothernations turn. its not random, since the game always crashes at the same moment, when i try to replay that turn.
solution i found is changing the players nation to the goingtosplitnation and let the ai play my original civ for one turn. interesting result is, that afterwards the extra nation began to exist, though i had the same name than a one already in play (two chinese nations in this case, at least one of them could have been named taiwan ), after that turn i could switch back to MY nation and play some further turns, till the next splitting.

is there any other solution that changing the players nation for 1turn everytime the game crashes???

anybody any ideas?
Old October 25, 2002, 12:44   #123
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 03:12
What turn are you on, and what size map???

Since the release of 1.33, I have been able to possibly track down this problem. It's tied into the fact that one of the SLIC codes (CRA_partisan.txt) is causing Militia units to move. So the AI slaveholding cities will go into revolt without a garrison. This causes too many splinter civs. I'm going to disable the code for the next update, as well as address the issues being discussed in the CTP2 General Forum.

This code was added for 1.31, so in my games, this never cropped up (my last game was a 1.3 game)

The next update will be presented in 2 ways (yeah, I know I said 1.33 was the last one) One will only have these fixes and balances and will not include any new SLICs - the other one will also include the Visible Wonders, Leonardo's Graphics and City Expansion (if Pedrunn can get it to work with GoodMod)
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old October 25, 2002, 13:22   #124
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 10:12
Maybe you shouldn't never again to call something final, I thought CityMod2 was final but that isn't the case anymore.

-Martin
Old October 25, 2002, 18:21   #125
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

Local Time: 08:12
Have been playing along on 1.33a gig map. 10 AI on impossible. Get a few barbarian civs but not too many, find the computer usually smites them and takes them back after a few turns.

Not so sure that moving militia are a bad thing. I played a lot on line and when a human player was threatened, they often left rear cities undefended to concentrate a bigger force to meet the threat. Computer does the same so quick raiding parties, capable of taking out a spearman, can cause headaches and add to my gold and pw. I find it a nice balance to counter the big blobs of gold and PW the AI get periodically.

Pedrunn's advance from capture has only worked once for me at the start of games, after that nothing happens. So I just go into cheat mode every 3-4 cities I capture and give myself a minor advance. The AI must get quick advances or gets a blob of advances every now and then or trades them with AI even when at war.

Just cruisin along having fun down under at the moment
Old October 26, 2002, 07:53   #126
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
What turn are you on, and what size map???
at the moment turn 373 / 710 b.c. the same happened at turn ??? / 810 b.c.

ultragiganticmap, with 16 starting civs, slow but works if not counting that specific problem

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
Since the release of 1.33, I have been able to possibly track down this problem. It's tied into the fact that one of the SLIC codes (CRA_partisan.txt) is causing Militia units to move.
well, the partisan slic was disabled from the beginning of the game, because somebody (perhaps you) wrote earlier that code would be very problematic. disbabled the disaster slic as well (didn't like those abondend suburbs filling big parts of the map) so this can't be the problem.
Old October 26, 2002, 09:21   #127
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 03:12
You could try this...

On a turn before the game crashes, change the MaxPlayer to 28. (You may be able to go as high as 32, but it seems that I remember hearing about a problem setting the number to 32). I'm hoping that the changed coding will kick in.

Since you started with 16 civs, you have less margin for the splinter civs (only 8, as opposed to 16), and the Ultra-Gigantic map allows for more opportunities for revolting civs because of the greater number of cities created.

The partisan solution should reduce the number of revolting cities to some degree, but with all of the warfare in Cradle, militias do get destroyed, and then its up to the AI to maintain its garrisons.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old October 26, 2002, 09:33   #128
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

well i already tried chanfing maxplayer to 32 before i posted here, with no effect (or do i have to reloadslic or something like that to have the changes in userprofile text work?)
and of course the question arises, if that would work, when will the game hit the new border and what will happen then?
Old October 27, 2002, 05:28   #129
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

nope. reloadslic doesn't help, only brings up those annoying requests to lower my pollution under 300