Old September 18, 2002, 15:13   #1
Flare
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why do so many people bash the USA?
~Grins~ First time posting on the OT forum. ~bows~

OK. What gives? Are we Americans that bad? Why is there so much American bashing going on? Can't anybody say anything nice about us? ~Grins~ Yes, the USA does meddle a lot, but I personally think that without our tax dollars or assistance, the world would be a poorer place? Would the bashers want us to pull back into ourselves and become isolationists again? ~WEG~ If so, I am sure that the tax dollars & support could be very useful here. ~Winks~
Ok, flame away!

Thanks for responding.
Kevin
Old September 18, 2002, 15:15   #2
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
DL!

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 18, 2002, 15:15   #3
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Maybe it's because they don't like us...

edit:
Quote:
Thanks for responding.
Kevin
I think he may be Jon Miller's DL.
Old September 18, 2002, 15:28   #4
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 10:13
Why do people bash USA?
Well, you're the best target, really. The most powerful nation of earth. It's much more fun to bash you than... Switzerland, or Hungary, for example.

...and besides, you suck

Old September 18, 2002, 15:31   #5
alofatti
Settler

"Yes, the USA does meddle a lot, but I personally think that without our tax dollars or assistance, the world would be a poorer place?"

Too bad they arenīt exactly "assistance" but rather they are loans which are now used to extort poor countries.
If you really want to assist poor countries, then banish your trade barriers and stop subsidizing agricultural producers. Stop being hypocritical about "free trade"!!
Old September 18, 2002, 15:33   #6
red_jon
NationStates
King

I'm getting sick of these threads now.

Oh, and DL!
Old September 18, 2002, 15:34   #7
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Ohhhh no, Flare! You see....it's perfectly acceptable for folks in other countries to keep their hands out for that dollar (erm...make that tens and hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars) while bashing the USofA in the same breath. If *we* bash tho, we're being unsensitive and egalitarian, or....just plain red-necky, depending on who you talk to. They like takin' that money, but they want it with no strings....a gift, cos, you know, they're so much better than we are....we should be *grateful* that they worked so hard to build our nation up to the point that it is.

But there's no double standard in place or anything....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old September 18, 2002, 15:35   #8
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:13
Quote:
Originally posted by alofatti
Too bad they arenīt exactly "assistance" but rather they are loans which are now used to extort poor countries.
I'm getting sick of Argentina blaming others for thier own incompetence.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old September 18, 2002, 15:35   #9
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Ohhhh no, Flare! You see....it's perfectly acceptable for folks in other countries to keep their hands out for that dollar (erm...make that tens and hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars) while bashing the USofA in the same breath. If *we* bash tho, we're being unsensitive and egalitarian, or....just plain red-necky, depending on who you talk to. They like takin' that money, but they want it with no strings....a gift, cos, you know, they're so much better than we are....we should be *grateful* that they worked so hard to build our nation up to the point that it is.

But there's no double standard in place or anything....

-=Vel=-
But the mods are on your side
Old September 18, 2002, 15:37   #10
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Hey now....I took the "America sucks" position in another thread....must have balance...

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old September 18, 2002, 15:45   #11
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

When the people here stop bashing America it will be time to worry. Envy is 98% of it.

Vel, you have been so crazily bashing America yourself that I am having a hard time counting your opinion seriously. Without proof you feed the fire of these wild conspiracies. What you smoking up there?
Old September 18, 2002, 15:48   #12
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
When the people here stop bashing America it will be time to worry. Envy is 98% of it.

Vel, you have been so crazily bashing America yourself that I am having a hard time counting your opinion seriously. Without proof you feed the fire of these wild conspiracies. What you smoking up there?
Coming from YOU?!
Old September 18, 2002, 15:48   #13
Velociryx
staff

No worries JT....I promise I won't smoke anything tooooo noteworthy without inviting you to join in!

Ahhh....mostly it amounts to letting off creative steam....I've been bottled up for an extended period, workin' on Candle'Bre stuff....just had to break out for a while....

-=Vel=-

EDIT: Hmmm....we're due to head to Saluda again soon for a weekend jam in the mountains....cookout, smokin' on the deck.....yeah....
Old September 18, 2002, 15:49   #14
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 09:13
No-one on these forums bashes the US. They just make constructive criticism about the US govt.

The only problem is that the Americans on these boards don't take criticism well.....

Old September 18, 2002, 15:50   #15
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:13
For the same reasons we (the US) bash the French....
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 18, 2002, 15:52   #16
Velociryx
staff

*G* We don't bash the French, GePap....we merely offer constructive criticism about their (and other European) governments.

Turns out tho, that the Euros aren't much better at taking criticism than we are....

-=Vel=-
Old September 18, 2002, 15:54   #17
Fitz
King

Local Time: 00:13
Personally it's because I live here, so I can see all the BS firsthand. They say "walk a mile ...", and I have, and AFAIAC U.S. bashing is fully justified.
Old September 18, 2002, 16:06   #18
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Fitz, you are welcome to leave the country any time you want.
Old September 18, 2002, 16:07   #19
Fitz
King

Jimmy, the only reason I continue to have to bash it is that people like you haven't left yet.

Edit: To be less insulting and more serious, I prefer to fix (or in the case of a forum ***** about) problems rather than run away from them.

Last edited by Fitz; September 18, 2002 at 16:15.
Old September 18, 2002, 16:09   #20
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
For the same reasons we (the US) bash the French....
Are you implying that Americans are unreliable allies who chicken out of every fight they can?

Well, if you say so.
Old September 18, 2002, 16:12   #21
leftover_crack
Settler

People are stupid. They watch our TV, listen to our music, buy our stuff and look like us. Bash us in the same breath....they assume thats how we are. Which is utter BS. The Europeans would condemn us for our Morals yet they are without a doubt the most immoral people on earth.

Then ask them if they would like to live in america.

"Please take me with you"

In conclusion. There are alot of Reject-hippie f@gs who dont like us for one reason or another and like to use us a scapegoats. If crops dont grow in country X then it must be america's fault...surely!

On the flip side I actually enjoy being part of the great satan. You see they talk alot of ****. But when you actually go to places in Europe and Japan everybody is talking to you and you suddenly become the center of attention. Its like why? Im just american folks! What makes me unique? Nothing...nada.Im not unique at all. For some reason others think I am. The girls in countries ive been to have 17 million questions to ask about america in broken english.

They say our girls are whores and stuff. Our women are the hardest to get anywhere ive ever been. In france if you have hung out with a girl for 6 hours or more your gaurunteed to get some! Its a given.
Old September 18, 2002, 16:14   #22
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:13
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Fitz, you are welcome to leave the country any time you want.
Its always the ones who give this country a bad name who are the first to say this.
Old September 18, 2002, 16:17   #23
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:13
Quote:
Originally posted by leftover_crack
There are alot of Reject-hippie f@gs who dont like us for one reason or another and like to use us a scapegoats.
And you wonder why people don't like the US.

I don't know many Europeans who would use the phrase "Reject-hippie f@gs"
Old September 18, 2002, 16:17   #24
Fitz
King

Quote:
Originally posted by leftover_crack
There are alot of Reject-hippie f@gs who dont like us for one reason or another and like to use us a scapegoats.
Spoken like a true american patriot. Also known as a hyper-conservative that hasn't learned to think for himself yet.
Old September 18, 2002, 16:23   #25
leftover_crack
Settler

ahh hippies. And you see why we dont like Europe? We are somehow automatically labeled Hypo-conservatives or evil Fascists. Which is funny cause im a libertarian and voted for Browne

HIPPIES!
Old September 18, 2002, 16:23   #26
Goingonit
Warlord

Alofatti:

Nobody is forcing anybody to accept American loans.
Old September 18, 2002, 16:25   #27
Switch
Prince

I think it could be because the European countries have been working for 1000s of years to build themselves up to their current position, only to see the USA become that most prominet nation after only half a millenia of existence.

It's kind of like a real-life analogy I like to use. I am a golfer. I have been playing for about 3-4 years, and can still only get the ball to around 150 yards with a driver. Then, one of my friends (a girl, no less. Not stereotyping, but generally men DO hit further than women) plays for the first time and gets the ball something like over 200 yards, and repeatedly. It makes it seem like all of my hard work, practice, and experiance are worthless, and I should give up now while I'm still somewhat ahead. It's just a feeling of frustration and uselessness (or something like it).

I'm just waiting for another one of my friends to pick up a piano for the first time and play the third movement of moonlight sonata without error, dynamics and all, a tempo .
Old September 18, 2002, 16:26   #28
leftover_crack
Settler

"I don't know many Europeans who would use the phrase "Reject-hippie f@gs"

Just a misunderstanding.

Fag in straight america does NOT mean gay. But loser..Backwards..a general derogatory remark. Its been like that for 20 years.

Thats why only americans say things like "This is gay" or "Person X is a fag"

and its not that we dont like fags or anything. Just 99% of us wouldnt say those things around them.
Old September 18, 2002, 16:26   #29
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fitz
Mainly because of the American government and its actions.

And how the people are ignorant, blindly following the government. And their arrogence. One example:

Quote:
Old September 18, 2002, 16:29   #30
Dom Pedro II
King

Ehhh, I'm sick of this back and forth crap about America, but hell, I've got nothing better to do.

It's not America's practices. It's a powerful nation. Of course, its going to exert itself on other people. What's wrong with America is the self-righteous and the absolute denial of any wrong-doing that is the problem.

If America just fessed up to the fact that its not doing anything different than any other empire, then I personally wouldn't have any beef.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...