Old September 19, 2002, 15:30   #1
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 10:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Stella Polaris design contests
There has already been for many weeks several public design contests related to Stella Polaris logos and graphics. I addec this compiled contest thread here so that submissions are also accepted here.

The contests are...

- Stella Polaris logo, graphic
- Stella Polaris logo, basic
- Stella Polaris Development Team logo
- Stella Polaris Merchandise Store logo
- Stella Polaris merchandise

The merchandise related contests won't be closed in the nearby future, but all the rest of the contests can be expected to be closed within a few weeks time. Much depending of course how active people are.

Notes for designers

If you're submiting to more than one logo contest, please try streamline the design of your graphics, as having a more streamlined design is more appealing and it will improve your chances of winning. At least text style (not necessarily size) and colour would be good to maintain as the same. It's not a question of making a new brand, but instead making all Stella Polaris logos similar when it comes to text design. Of course this is mandatorial and it doesn't mean your submissions will be treated as second class submissions.

Do also pay attention to any copyright issues related to any material you use for the graphics as we don't want to get trouble with companies sueing us because of your submission/s.

Graphic Stella Polaris logo design contest

This is a logo that reminds of those very graphic ones submitted earlier to the original design contest. It can be used for multiple purposes, but at least it will be seen in the game as a splash screen or as a part of any other graphic element.

Rules and requirements

The artists are free to determine the outlook and style of the logo. It can include both text and graphic elements. Feel free to be creative! It should also be possible to resize it to a smaller size if needed to.

Anyone can take part in the contest by being allowed submiting more than 1 submission. There's in general no limits about file formats, etc. Submissions can be delievered to me per e-mail, but it's advisable to you agree on it on case to case basis. If the file/s aren't too large, you can submit it/them by attaching to your forum posting, under this thread. Any submissions can be ignored, if there's a reason to believe the logo includes any copyright protected elements that the artist didn't have the right to use. The contest ends at a date posted later. The winner will be selected by me and Blake.

Note about archived submissions

All the logo submissions received in the original thread on FACF that are now stored on FACF too, are also valid submissions in this contest. Please don't re-submit them as they're already included.

Prize

The winner will receive a discount on a single order in the Stella Polaris Merchandise Store.

Basic Stella Polaris logo design contest

This logo is meant to be used for purposes that need a more light styled logo, compared to a full scale graphic logo.

Rules and requirements

The artists are free to determine the outlook of the logo, but there's one simple guideline; try to keep it quite simple and more like a text logo. It should also be possible to resize it to a smaller size if needed to.

Anyone can take part in the contest by being allowed submiting more than 1 submission. There's in general no limits about file formats, etc. Submissions can be delievered to me per e-mail, but it's advisable to you agree on it on case to case basis. If the file/s aren't too large, you can submit it/them by attaching to your forum posting, under this thread. Any submissions can be ignored, if there's a reason to believe the logo includes any copyright protected elements that the artist didn't have the right to use. The contest ends at a date posted later. The winner will be selected by me and Blake.

Prize

The winner will receive a discount on a single order in the Stella Polaris Merchandise Store.

SPDT logo design contest

The SPDT is a logo for the development team. It can be used for several purposes, so it's supposed to be versatile.

Rules and requirements

There's only two requirements for the logo; it should include the name Stella Polaris Development Team and the style should be quite plain and possible to scale down in size.

Prize

SPMS logo design contest

The new and soon to be opened Stella Polaris Merchandise Store needs a logo. It can include graphics elements, but at least the name Stella Polaris Merchandise Store should be visible.

Rules and requirements

There's no requirements for the logo, except that the SPMS logo can be max 500x200 pixels in size, as CafePress.com doesn't allow any larger logos than that.

Prize

Stella Polaris merchandise design contest

Designs for the goods sold on SPMS are now needed, so it's time for a design contest. There's many different items available for sale, so you might want to make a custom design for a certain product, all the mugs or perhaps a general streamline design. You're free to choose.

Please do notice that the designs applied when the store opens aren't the only one's to be used, as special limited designs will be available and new ones are made. This contest will work as a kick-off for the Stella Polaris goods.

Information

The full product line of CafePress.com can be found on their website. There you'll see multiple images on each product, so that you can more easily design your image/s. There's also available a clock template for making wall clock backrounds more easily. The Help Desk section includes information about the images, but most important; a full reference on image sizes. DPI and resolution.

CafePress.com - Product Center
CafePress.com - Help Desk: Preparing Images

Rules and requirements

All submissions must apply with the size and image quality limits set by CafePress.com. Any submissions must include a note about the intended target item/s or a note that it's for general purpose. The artists are free to determine the outlook and style of the the item images. They can include both text and graphic elements. Feel free to be creative!

Anyone can take part in the contest by being allowed submiting more than 1 submission. There's in general no limits about file formats, etc. Submissions can be delievered to me per e-mail, but it's advisable to you agree on it on case to case basis. If the file/s aren't too large, you can submit it/them by attaching to your forum posting, under this thread. Any submissions can be ignored, if there's a reason to believe the product image includes any copyright protected elements that the artist didn't have the right to use. The contest ends at a date posted later. The best submission will be awarded with an award.

Prize

The winner will receive a discount on a single order in the Stella Polaris Merchandise Store. So you'd better make some cool image/s, and you might get a chance to buy the product for a rebated price.

Last edited by Rasbelin; October 15, 2002 at 04:58.
Old September 21, 2002, 15:10   #2
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I have no idea what I'm doing here... But I bumped into this, so I thought I'd have a go.

It's not entirely how I anticipated, but you get the idea. Someone a bit more professional could probably turn this into something more "streamlined" if necessary.

I guess it's more a comet than a star, but what the heck.
It's not for any category in particular... But additional text could probably be added at the "tail" or simply near the bottom of the logo.
It seems to fit in with the website color scheme too.

(I got a rather larger vector version of it, so fonts, color and what have you can be adjusted)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	stella.gif
Views:	138
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	25175  
Old September 21, 2002, 16:38   #3
Rasbelin
Emperor

Thank you, Mercator!

If things get bad enough, your submission could even be the winner.
Old September 21, 2002, 17:07   #4
Mercator
Emperor

I'll see if I can come up with something else.
Don't you or the SPDT have a vague idea of what you'd want the logo to look like (3D, iconic, photographic)? Or are you just hoping for some brilliant graphics artists to show up?
I think some of those earlier designs are nice-looking, but only as a general idea... If you're going with for a planetary view, you're probably looking for something more sophisticated than a standard blue/green ball and a couple of stars in the background...

Unfortunately, I don't have any 3D skills at all.
Old September 21, 2002, 17:16   #5
Mercator
Emperor

Oh yes... And if you don't like any of 'em, you're probably better off without an official logo just yet. Instead of picking a semi-nice logo you end up regretting, it's probably more productive to just start out with plain "Stella Polaris" written in some futuristic font or something, without any special effects to it at all. You can base banners or other "merchandising" off the website design, using some of the game art (if there already is any), or with some generic images of astronauts, spaceships and space etc...
You can then give yourself some more time, so you find the final logo by the time there is a presentable game available.
In any case, your game is gonna need graphics, so I guess some of the future graphics artists might be better at creating a nice logo.
Old September 23, 2002, 05:28   #6
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 20:16
And in JPEG...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	sp.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	25388  
Old September 23, 2002, 05:35   #7
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 21:16
Heh. That is quite bad. Prehaps we should have a contest for worst logo instead.
Altough the design itself isn't so bad, it may even look good with some touchup
Old September 23, 2002, 05:39   #8
Frozzy
Emperor

Ooooh! I'd might win that! I told you it was the worst logo ever... plus I used paint .

I did a better version (of the same design) on paper, but I don't have my scanner running, so...
Old September 23, 2002, 05:39   #9
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator

Don't you or the SPDT have a vague idea of what you'd want the logo to look like (3D, iconic, photographic)? Or are you just hoping for some brilliant graphics artists to show up?
As said, the participants are allowed choose the outlook of their logos, but do remember there's a contest for a graphic logo and one for the text logo. And in general there's recommendation to make multiple logos streamlined. So you're pretty much allowed to use your own artistic skills.
Old September 23, 2002, 05:53   #10
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
Oh yes... And if you don't like any of 'em, you're probably better off without an official logo just yet. Instead of picking a semi-nice logo you end up regretting, it's probably more productive to just start out with plain "Stella Polaris" written in some futuristic font or something, without any special effects to it at all. You can base banners or other "merchandising" off the website design, using some of the game art (if there already is any), or with some generic images of astronauts, spaceships and space etc...
I have been thinking of that as an alternative too, so I guess we might settle for it if nobody turns up with some nice graphics.
Quote:
You can then give yourself some more time, so you find the final logo by the time there is a presentable game available.
In any case, your game is gonna need graphics, so I guess some of the future graphics artists might be better at creating a nice logo.
That's also true, Mercator.
Old September 28, 2002, 14:08   #11
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 08:16
One is a Xmas reformed thing and the other is another trekkie-like graphic.

What about use the Ursa Minor graphic for establish the relation with the Earth (remember that conestalltions are different in each space point ) ?
Old September 30, 2002, 22:44   #12
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

Local Time: 00:16
Here are two logos. I will post one here and one after.
-J.B.-
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	image001.gif
Views:	97
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	25998  
Old September 30, 2002, 22:44   #13
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

Here is the Other
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	image001.gif
Views:	91
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	25999  
Old October 1, 2002, 10:26   #14
XarXo
Prince

Ehm... no one have more ideas for it ? VERY DIFFERENT ideas... Please...
Old October 1, 2002, 10:36   #15
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

I will post a more Complex one. I am busy at this time but I will try to create it soon.
-J.B.-
Old October 3, 2002, 01:15   #16
Frozzy
Emperor

SPDT
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	spdt.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	26152  
Old October 6, 2002, 04:32   #17
Rasbelin
Emperor

Okay, I got JB's latest submission from the attachment upload that has now been removed, so he doesn't have to send it again.
Old October 9, 2002, 07:39   #18
Rasbelin
Emperor

A small reminder that all contests will be closed within a few days, so if you had any other submissions, please post them here or send them by e-mail. Thanks!
Old October 10, 2002, 03:04   #19
Frozzy
Emperor

Closed? Argh! Hey... I already entered
Old October 14, 2002, 16:24   #20
VJ
King

Well, since the contest isn't still closed, and the other images on this page look... err...
quite creative, I'll attach my submission for basic logo.
Attached Images:
File Type: gif stp7.gif (9.1 KB, 23 views)
Old October 14, 2002, 21:25   #21
Mercator
Emperor

A quick one... 99.9999% credit goes to redbull, though.
I think his design was pure genius, simple and effective. But I think adding a little sunburst effect makes it just a tad nicer.
It would be mighty easy to adjust for the different sections as well, just change the text at the button, font is still open too, and I'd even say the colors could be changed. Keeping the same logo, but say, a blue SPDT section, red merchanising etc.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	stella.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	26982  
Old October 14, 2002, 23:33   #22
Frozzy
Emperor

I agree with Mercator. The background should differ depending on the group it is used for.

Thanks for the complements BTW The sunburst adds that extra thing I couldn't get with Gimp.
Old October 15, 2002, 04:54   #23
Rasbelin
Emperor

All contests have been closed. The chosen ones will be announced later.

Thanks for your submissions!