Old September 19, 2002, 19:26   #1
metalhead
Warlord

Local Time: 04:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Something doesn't add up?
I just mobilized my economy, and noticed that some of my cities' production didn't improve. Upon closer inspection, I saw this:

Is it me, or should the shields shown as being produced in the terrain view equal the shields in the production box? Is this a bug related to mobilizing in 1.29f, related just to my game, or am I an idiot missing something obvious?

EDIT: I don't have webspace, so I'll attach the image in the next post

Last edited by metalhead; September 19, 2002 at 19:32.
Old September 19, 2002, 19:32   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:17
Couldn't see your graphic,
but remember that any mobilization bonus only applies when you are building a military unit or facility (barracks, harbor, airport, ...)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 19, 2002, 19:32   #3
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
The picture is not coming through.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 19, 2002, 19:43   #4
metalhead
Warlord

Here it is attached.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mobile.zip (312.3 KB, 17 views)
Old September 19, 2002, 19:46   #5
metalhead
Warlord

As you can see, the city in question is building Cavalry, and there are 14 shields in the terrain view, and 8 shields in the production box. Other cities (but not all) have the same thing happening. If anyone wants to be nice and post the pic in the thread for me, it would be appreciated
Old September 19, 2002, 20:26   #6
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Did you just mobilize? Have you gone forward one turn and the production box still shows only 8?

My only guess after looking at it quickly is that the production box numbers won't update until the "production portion" of your turn, which comes after the "move portion" of your turn (during which time you can mobilize).

Catt

Here is metalhead's picture:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobile shrunk.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24936  
Old September 19, 2002, 20:36   #7
Demerzel
Warlord

Local Time: 08:17
speaking of mobilisation, is it worthwhile? I've never ever used it regardless of difficulty level ( mostly emperor ) or game situation.

mostly I guess as wars for me can last for hundreds of turns. one game from ~1790 -> 1960 at which point I was still fighting against 3 foes having killed off 3 others, but gave up with that game thanks to the boredom of micromanagement of the hundreds of my units. I've always suspected the bonuses I might get in the short turn would be severely outweighed by the penalties in the long turn.

any thoughts?
Old September 19, 2002, 21:45   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that IS mobilized.

How else would you be getting 2 shields off roaded plains?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old September 19, 2002, 22:31   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The production shown should result in 14 shields. But only 8 show up. I think Catt is probably right... wait one turn and see what it says.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 19, 2002, 22:40   #10
Tuberski

Local Time: 03:17
Do you always get 2 shields off of whales?

If so, then I'd guess that the next turn production will look correct.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 19, 2002, 23:27   #11
Theseus
Emperor

Oh, yeah, this kept happening in AU 105, and I forgot to mention it.

There's some kind of bug in the way shields show up when you first mobilize, or when you switch from a non-qualified improvement to a qualified one. As far as I could tell, the actual application of shields and thus the number of turns to completion was correct.

As Catt indicated, wait one turn, and check both the number of shields counted and the number of turns to completion.

(I suppose someone should tell Firaxis, but I'm to focused on AU 106)

Old September 20, 2002, 00:04   #12
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Just to be clear with what I was trying to say -- I think the city view shows 14 shields from the worked tiles due to the mobilization, but I suspect the "production bar" - which still shows 8 shields - won't update until the "end" of the turn when metalhead has pressed enter or whatever. I suspect (and would hope!) that at the beginning of the next turn, the city view would again show 14 shields in the worked tiles, but the production bar would show 14 shields, the production box would have 10 or 11 shields in it (14 minus the local corruption), and the library would show only 1 (or 2?) culture notes due to the mobilization.

metalhead - have you played the next turn and is the mystery solved, or are we way off base?

Catt
Old September 20, 2002, 08:53   #13
metalhead
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
metalhead - have you played the next turn and is the mystery solved, or are we way off base?
Catt
Yes, I have played several turns past this point, and the production remained at 8 shields for all subsequent turns, while producing cavalry the whole time. I had thought that it was that way because I had just mobilized, but the production bonus was never added to my shield total. Also, IIRC, in previous versions, the mobilization bonus kicked in right away, and you didn't have to wait a turn. This happened in some of my other cities as well, although I also had some cities where the bonus was added.

The mystery is not solved, except to say that it's obviously a bug, and VERY frustrating, especially given the ruthless slaughter of my people going on at the time at the hands of those nasty Chinese

EDIT: Thanks for adding the pic, Catt

Last edited by metalhead; September 20, 2002 at 13:37.
Old September 20, 2002, 09:36   #14
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Wow, that does sound like a bug. How odd. I've never encountered that before.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.