Old October 8, 2002, 07:44   #31
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Daftpanzer
Or you could make cigars from tobacco to sell to people who dont have acces to tobacco or dont have the industry to make cigars etc etc
or to smoke them while watching the battlefield, ok i have to admit i like smoking
Old October 9, 2002, 05:29   #32
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 08:18
you could do it with a tile imp factory build it over a good and then convert the good in slic to the finished one.
Old October 9, 2002, 09:28   #33
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 08:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Daftpanzer
I like the idea of 'finished goods'. Would it be possible to have something like the resouce system in imperialism1/2? For anyone who hasnt played those games, its where things cost specific resoucres instead of abstract industry 'shields'. If you have the resources and money you get things built straight away.

I am guessing that it is porbably impossible, but it would be cool if e.g a battleship cost you a certain amount of steel and fuel (but less assembly time), so you have to have some in stock before you can build it (you get resoucres within your borders added to your stockpile every turn, more if you build mines etc. on the sources)

Also for the battleship you need some of your cities converting coal and iron ore into steel and crude oil into fuel (or theres a screen were you can allocate so much industry to convertion of certain raw goods in maunfactured goods, like the allocation of PW)...

Or you could make cigars from tobacco to sell to people who dont have acces to tobacco or dont have the industry to make cigars etc etc
That's exactly the system I would like to have as well. Where specific resources would be needed to make a unit or certain buildings (like a brick making factory to make an auto factory, or at least a steady supply of bricks from a city that has a brick factory).

Also, I would like it if certain cities specialized in making a certain good. Like Detroit makes cars in the U.S. and there is little auto manufacturing outside that city (except the Ohio river valley), Boston does BioTech, Seattle makes airplanes, and there are many other examples.

I guess a possible rule could be, for every 10-15 cities you have you can build one automobile factory (for tanks), one airplane factory (for fighters/bombers). This would make those cities much more important. Also, if the enemy was advancing on them, you could do what Stalin did and move (by "selling" in the terminology of the game) the factory in that city to another city further away.

Of course this would make it hard for that city to produce anything other than the unit it specializes in, but the player could balance this out himself. No more rush buying a tank on some outpost city you just settled. It would also slow down the human player's war machine, which the AI is pretty powerless against anyway.

I was afraid it was a little to much to ask all at once, but hey if we're dreaming, why not?