Old September 20, 2002, 10:49   #1
tniem
King

Local Time: 03:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
StarCraft Ghost: Blizzard's Next Game
Blizzard has announced that their next game is going to be StarCraft Ghost. It is a tactical adventure game in the third person (ala Metal Gear Solid) set in the StarCraft world. The game is going to come out on all the console systems and is being developed in a collabration between Blizzard and Nihilistic.

Read more at www.blizzard.com , http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...880889,00.html , and any other gaming site today.
Old September 20, 2002, 13:26   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Which console(s) is going to be realeased on?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old September 20, 2002, 14:49   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 08:19
There's another thread on this, but it's in the OTF I think...

IIRC Blizz said the game would be for the "next-generation consoles" so that means PS2, XBox and Gamecube.

A lot of the Blizzard fanboys and Starcraft-addicts are furious because there's no mention of a PC release ... I suppose a port will eventually be forthcoming (money talks), but Blizz aren't planning one right away.

Link to the OTF thread for those sensible people who don't like to enter that strange parallel universe.

Last edited by FrustratedPoet; September 20, 2002 at 14:55.
Old September 20, 2002, 14:57   #4
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:19
This isn't all that surprising. There's a lot more money to be had in consoles than PC games.
Old September 20, 2002, 15:53   #5
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 09:19
Console only? Great! Then I won't be tempted to break my track record of never having played a single Blizzard game.
Old September 20, 2002, 16:51   #6
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
A lot of the Blizzard fanboys and Starcraft-addicts are furious because there's no mention of a PC release ... I suppose a port will eventually be forthcoming (money talks), but Blizz aren't planning one right away.
My guess is probably never. From their FAQ (http://www.blizzard.com/ghost/faq.shtml):
Quote:
Q: Will there be a PC and Mac version?
A: No. StarCraft: Ghost is only being developed for console systems.
Doesn't make much sense to make a port over to the pc. Consoles sell more copies just based on their market share to PC games. Plus it seems to be a game that would work better on consoles just in the way it is set up. But I guess we will see.
Old September 20, 2002, 18:46   #7
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 01:19
So, moomin -- any reason you don't play blizzard?
Old September 20, 2002, 18:55   #8
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 02:19
Which console version's gonna be superior?
Old September 21, 2002, 06:20   #9
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I bailed out of the RTS thing after C&C and Diablo seemed boring. No ideological reason, as such. If they ever do a Master of Magic 2, I'll be first in line. Meanwhile, it serves as a badge of dubious merit to distinguish myself from other geeks
Old September 21, 2002, 06:43   #10
chronocrator
Warlord

moomin, I wouldn't really call Diablo an RTS but I know what you mean, though I like C&C.
However I cannot understand why Blizzard makes this Starcraft: Renegade , even if it came out for the PC I would not buy it, I want a RTS!
Then again AoM is going to come out soon and the new C&C looks promising, so I can live without a real StarCraft 2.
Old September 21, 2002, 09:54   #11
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chronocrator
moomin, I wouldn't really call Diablo an RTS but I know what you mean, though I like C&C.
What it appears he meant is the reason he has never played SC or the WC games is that he doesn't like RTS. The reason he didn't play Diablo is that it looked boring. So he has never played a Blizzard game.

Quote:
However I cannot understand why Blizzard makes this Starcraft: Renegade , even if it came out for the PC I would not buy it, I want a RTS!
Very simple why they are making this game. Their RTS team was still working on WC3. They had two other teams, so one of them worked on Worlds of WarCraft. A second team, Blizzard North who did Diablo, is not know what they are working on. And now Blizzard also got together with Nihilistic and started work on an adventure game. The RTS team will probably make a WC3 expansion and then got started on StarCraft II or another new RTS game. My guess SC2 but because they have multiple teams working, it makes sense for this game to be in the pipes.
Old September 21, 2002, 11:57   #12
chronocrator
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
Very simple why they are making this game. Their RTS team was still working on WC3. They had two other teams, so one of them worked on Worlds of WarCraft. A second team, Blizzard North who did Diablo, is not know what they are working on. And now Blizzard also got together with Nihilistic and started work on an adventure game. The RTS team will probably make a WC3 expansion and then got started on StarCraft II or another new RTS game. My guess SC2 but because they have multiple teams working, it makes sense for this game to be in the pipes.
I guess that makes sense. As long as it doesn't keep anyone of the RTS team away from their work it is fine with me then.