Old September 20, 2002, 13:35   #1
Kontiki
King

Local Time: 04:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Calling all Canadians...how would you fix our military?
I don't think there's much debate over the fact that our military is in sad shape right now (and has been for a while). I'm curious what other Canadians think is the best way to fix it. Let's try to be realistic - saying disbanding it, upping it to 1 million strong or buying a fleet of stealth fighters is just not an option.

Personally, here's a few things I'd like to see (in no particular order):

1. Increase the budget by about $1-2 billion.

2. Scrap our armoured regiment altogether. We are not likely to ever deploy it, and even if we did, Leopard I tanks from the 70s ain't exactly top of the line. We could probably sell most of the equipment to some third-world rat-hole.

3. Develop a lightly armed, but well equiped, rapid reaction force or two that can be moved to trouble spots on short notice - say 1000-2000 men each. Here, I'd invest in some good APCs (Coyotes are a good start, but they're meant more for recon duties) and upgrade our light truck fleet (we've got to have the most pathetic jeeps in the world).

4. Increase the full-time personnel to around 80,000.

5. Keep the navy as up-to-date as possible, but stop buying used British subs.

6. Keep our CF-18s in better condition so that they can be effectively used alongside our allies if and when needed.

Just a few ideas, certainly not exhaustive. Also waiting for the smart-ass remarks from Americans like "you mean Canada actually has a military?"
Old September 20, 2002, 13:37   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:19
Out source it to the Americans.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old September 20, 2002, 13:38   #3
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 08:19
How to improve the Canadian military?
Add an extra star on the U.S. flag.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old September 20, 2002, 15:45   #4
Kontiki
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Out source it to the Americans.
As in rent military services from the US?
Old September 20, 2002, 16:06   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Re: Calling all Canadians...how would you fix our military?
Quote:
Originally posted by Kontiki
Let's try to be realistic - saying disbanding it ... is just not an option.

Well, there goes my suggestion.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 20, 2002, 16:07   #6
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Sure....why not. You said yourself that you don't really need a military, so why not go whole hog? We've got more than we need, and you guys could rent our services for cheaper than you could maintain your own.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old September 20, 2002, 17:42   #7
Kontiki
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Sure....why not. You said yourself that you don't really need a military, so why not go whole hog? We've got more than we need, and you guys could rent our services for cheaper than you could maintain your own.

-=Vel=-

When did I say we didn't need a military?
Old September 20, 2002, 17:48   #8
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

d'oh....my bad....was remembering something in another thread, 'bout how canada only had one border, and with a peaceful neighbor at that....

But seriously....why not? A 'national guard' type of reserve force for emergencies and outsource the rest? Be a good way to save some dough.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old September 20, 2002, 17:53   #9
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

You'd have to decide what you wanted the military to serve before deciding how to fix it.

Praising your peacekeeping commitments while slashing the budget of the military to the bone doesn't cut it.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old September 20, 2002, 18:15   #10
Switch
Prince

Do we really need a bigger military? Perhaps we should just take a small step and stop cutting the budget, instead of upping it.

Just my two cents (which isn't much, considering my nationality).
Old September 20, 2002, 18:22   #11
Kontiki
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
You'd have to decide what you wanted the military to serve before deciding how to fix it.

Praising your peacekeeping commitments while slashing the budget of the military to the bone doesn't cut it.

I completely agree with that. Realistically, our military is going to be used for exactly the same things it always has been since the end of the Cold War - namely, peacekeeping, limited contributions to offensive operations undertaken by our allies (eg: Kosovo, Afghanistan), and some measure of homeland defence (generally, maritime patrol and disaster relief). One of the biggest problems we have, as far as I'm concerned, is that we are still equiped (poorly) to do what our Cold War role was. Canada's primary mandates in case of war with the Soviet Union were anti-submarine warfare in the Atlantic and a land force to be used to help defend northern Europe. To some degree, we've scaled back on these but not enough, IMO.

That's why I suggested forming well-equiped rapid reaction units to be used for peacekeeping and those limited offensive contributions. I also advocated INCREASING the military budget, not slashing it to the bone (as has already been done).
Old September 20, 2002, 18:24   #12
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 02:19
Just ditch the military, we've got chickenshit leadership anyway so no point having a military that sits around doing stupid political missions.
Old September 20, 2002, 18:28   #13
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Annexation by the US. Or declare neutrality.Or set up a nuclear arsenal, then update military with new equipment, better wages & living conditions, nd a heap of cash. Should Quebec feel the need to secede, I doubt they'll need the equalization payments. (joking)
Old September 20, 2002, 18:29   #14
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 01:19
Mounties. Lots of them. No one will suspect a thing.
Old September 20, 2002, 19:39   #15
Lonestar
inmate
King

Just Let America "Protect" Canada. Of Course, the Best way to "Protect" Canada is to establish large numbers of Garrisions up and down the country.

Old September 20, 2002, 20:29   #16
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

1. Halve the budget.
2. Use it for UN missions exclusively.
3. Cooperate as little as possible with the Evil Empire Jr.
Old September 20, 2002, 20:40   #17
private hudson
Settler

Well I'm no canadian, but you could always do what we brits do and get the Gurkhas to fight for you! I swear as soon as anyone hears they are on their way they surrender soon afterwards!

Oh and don't disband you know damn well mr Bush is itching to just add some more stars to that flag!
Old September 20, 2002, 20:49   #18
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by private hudson
Oh and don't disband you know damn well mr Bush is itching to just add some more stars to that flag!
They wouldn't have to worry about that, except during the hockey season.

Hockey players from Canada would become terrorists, and Canada would become a rogue state.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 20, 2002, 21:11   #19
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

It seems like I remember some years ago something going around about British Columbia wanting to possibly one day join the United States. Either BC or some other western province(s). I'm serious, too. Obviously, nothing ever came of it ... but I just thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else had heard of it.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old September 20, 2002, 21:23   #20
private hudson
Settler

Hmmm haven't heard that one before. It suprises me really I always thought Canada and the USA kinda hated eachother secretly, after all they did try and take canada in the 1812 war!

Besides wouldn't all those frenchies in Montreal object if america wanted canada?
Old September 20, 2002, 21:28   #21
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
Really? I was under the impression we have better relations than some, since we could almost be the same country in some ways (open borders, &c.)

As for the question, I don't really know how Canada sees its military situation, so I couldn't comment with any authority.
Old September 20, 2002, 22:01   #22
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by private hudson
Hmmm haven't heard that one before. It suprises me really I always thought Canada and the USA kinda hated eachother secretly, after all they did try and take canada in the 1812 war!

Besides wouldn't all those frenchies in Montreal object if america wanted canada?
Except the frenchies of course.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 20, 2002, 22:17   #23
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

I predict that, one day, the United States of North America will come into existence. What I don't know is if it would be a complete union, or just an economic one — sort of like NAFTA — or a military one or what. It will be composed of at least the current US and Canada, and maybe even Mexico.

Then we shall truly be the Beast of the Americas! (And they thought the Beast was bad now.)

Gatekeeper

Old September 20, 2002, 22:40   #24
Velociryx
staff

Would love to see it, GK....further, I'd love to see a Transatlantic Economic Union....perhaps not long after a NA econounion.

Imagine....an economy worth 22+ TRILLION a year.....wow.

-=Vel=-
Old September 20, 2002, 22:44   #25
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 16:19
Re: Calling all Canadians...how would you fix our military?
Quote:
1. Increase the budget by about $1-2 billion.
Where do you get the money?

Quote:
2. Scrap our armoured regiment altogether. We are not likely to ever deploy it, and even if we did, Leopard I tanks from the 70s ain't exactly top of the line.
Valid point.

Quote:
3. Develop a lightly armed, but well equiped, rapid reaction force or two that can be moved to trouble spots on short notice - say 1000-2000 men each. Here, I'd invest in some good APCs (Coyotes are a good start, but they're meant more for recon duties) and upgrade our light truck fleet (we've got to have the most pathetic jeeps in the world).
The Canadian Army is already fairly mobile and has a plan to become more agile.

Quote:
4. Increase the full-time personnel to around 80,000.
At least 80,000. Our peacekeeping commitments probably require a larger force with more people in the army.

Quote:
6. Keep our CF-18s in better condition so that they can be effectively used alongside our allies if and when needed.
The CF-18s are being upgraded through a $900 million modification program that will keep them airworthy until 2017.

The question is: do we really need the fighters?

We need to increase the size of the primary reserves.
Old September 20, 2002, 22:52   #26
Kontiki
King

Re: Re: Calling all Canadians...how would you fix our military?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai

Where do you get the money?

The question is: do we really need the fighters?
$1-$2 billion from our budget isn't that much - hell, currently our surplus is bigger than that. However, I'm sure you could fanangle that much from other areas without having too major an impact.

As for the fighters, I'd say that we definitely need them. If we ever want to contribute an offensive force, the fighters are the best thing we've got.
Old September 20, 2002, 23:20   #27
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
I predict that, one day, the United States of North America will come into existence. What I don't know is if it would be a complete union, or just an economic one — sort of like NAFTA — or a military one or what. It will be composed of at least the current US and Canada, and maybe even Mexico.

Then we shall truly be the Beast of the Americas! (And they thought the Beast was bad now.)

Gatekeeper
No chance, buddy. I'd consider joining a massive Western Bloc...but only after the Euros had already joined to provide a counterweight.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 20, 2002, 23:27   #28
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Pah. Stop being such a party-pooper, you future American you, Froggums.

Gatekeeper

(P.S. And, Vel, a trans-Atlantic union would be something indeed ... but I don't think that'll happen in our lifetimes.)

Old September 20, 2002, 23:29   #29
KrazyHorse
Deity

We're already too close to the elephant. We like you at arm's length, not stomping on our head.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 20, 2002, 23:37   #30
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Oh, for goodness sakes, you Canuck you! You're just being stubborn, that's all. Like some Americans I know!

Gatekeeper