Old September 21, 2002, 02:31   #1
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 03:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How is war weariness calculated?
Can anyone tell me how WW is calculated? How does Suffrage effect it, I know it is supposed to decrease it, but what is the quantitative effect? Same question with police stations.

I know that democracy is different than republic than the others, yada yada, I mainly am curious about the improvements. does a ps give me, say, an extra turn before someone is unhappy?

Thanks
Old September 21, 2002, 02:32   #2
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

If I overlooked a thread, just point me to that.

Thanks
Old September 21, 2002, 04:05   #3
Arc
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:21
I think basic war weariness is 7 turns, with PS 9 urns, with suffrage effect 15 turns.
I didn't count the exact number of turns but it is certainly around that
Old September 21, 2002, 07:50   #4
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 00:21
Information on WW is very hard to come by. Its definitely not a simple per turn item. Things I know its dependent on.

Who started the war.

If you start the war WW starts to show faster.

If someone else started it not only will take longer to show your population will actually be happier for a while.

Treaty breaking may enhance the effects. More happiness and less WW if its a sneak attack on you and more WW if you make a sneak attack.

I think cultural affiliation affects it.

I know a traditional enemy effects it. If you go to war with an enemy you have been to war with a lot then your population is more happy and there is less WW.

If you are doing well in the war that helps. I have been at war for over a 100 turns straight with Japan in my latest game. There is NO WW at all because all Japan has been able to do is bombard my shores and plant a city or two on my borders. I took the cities havn't lost a unit. I haven't attacked Japan because that would have taken an invasion fleet and I was busy consolidating a large continent. I did have allies that kept Japan busy and they have been stuck in communism for a long time so WW sure was hurting them.

If you lose cities that increases WW.

Gaining cities MAY decrease it but its hard to tell since if you do well and lose little or nothing you won't see any WW anyway.

Losing a lot of units in a short time even without losing cities does increase WW.

If you take a city its YOURS so if you lose it right back that increases WW. Make sure you keep them. I don't think a city lost by Culture Flipping has an effect though.

If you end a war WW goes away immediatly BUT there is a residual hidden store. If the war starts up again it will return imediately how much may depend on how long there was peace. It appears that you need twenty turns of peace for it to go away entirely.

The Police Station and Universal Suffrage decrease WW on a percentage basis not a per turn basis. The percentage is the same for both.

The Republic is MUCH better for WW than Democracy. I only use Democracy now if I play a religious Civ. Switching takes a lot of turns otherwise.
Old September 21, 2002, 09:37   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:21
I thought WW lasted only 20 turns, then found out it can last longer. Also, Soren said recently that WW accumulates even if you are in a government with no WW. The government just suppresses the opportunity for the WW to be expressed.

See the thread "Civ3-Strategy > War weariness carryover" page 2.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 21, 2002, 10:21   #6
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 00:21
Here is a link to the thread Jaybe mentioned:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=55847

I found it by first searching for Firaxis partial match name sorted by post not thread.

Then I clicked on Soren to get to his profile. The clicked on show all posts.
Old September 21, 2002, 12:14   #7
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Thanks for the info, guys.

I guess its better left as a partial mystery. Makes the game a bit more unpredictable.

I didn't realize that losing units would increase WW. perhaps I should be more careful with my units then.

Thanks
Old September 21, 2002, 16:04   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:21
Just consider how unhappy the populace gets if it hears of troops being killed. Think of even peace time events where planes crash or what ever. The troops are someones loved ones and are an investment as well.
Old September 21, 2002, 22:05   #9
bbaws
Warlord

Local Time: 08:21
vmxa1 is on the ball. To avoid WW you firstly have to avoid losing units, secondly avoid units (theirs and yours) ending their turns on opposing civ territory, avoid adding workers of that nationality in your cities. There are almost certainly other conditions that add to WW. The main point is that if you are winning the war or not actively fighting it WW will be close enough to zero not to matter. Another point about it to bear in mind "it's a bucket with a hole in the bottomthat fills quicker than it empties"; paraphrasing someone elses' good post. If you declare peace to avoid WW you have to remember that there is a stock of WW waiting to hit you again as soon as you go to war. It can takes a lot of patience to wait for that bucket to empty. Civ3 is as much a game of peace as it is a game of war.
Old September 21, 2002, 23:09   #10
asleepathewheel
Emperor

AARGH.

I'm not a newbie, I was just seeing if anyone had discovered the mathematical formula yet.

sorry, the information is quite helpful, I was just looking for quanititative measures of the improvements and wonders.