Old November 21, 2002, 23:25   #151
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 09:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

When you bought the game, you made a deal with Infogrames, not Firaxis.
No, I made a deal with the shop owner. Should I blame the shop owner?

Nonsensical argument. Of course itīs mostly the producer who is responsible for the product, and not some merchant. And no one forced Firaxis to work with Infogrames. They could have chosen another publisher, or none. If I donīt like a book, do I blame the publisher? No, I blame the author.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old November 22, 2002, 04:31   #152
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
No, I made a deal with the shop owner. Should I blame the shop owner?
Well, wordly taken, I have to admit that you are correct on this. Which, however, does not affect my point - you made no deal with Firaxis. The shop owner made a deal with a wholesaler, the wholesaler made a deal with IG. The chain ends with IG, and only then Firaxis.

Quote:
Nonsensical argument. Of course itīs mostly the producer who is responsible for the product, and not some merchant. And no one forced Firaxis to work with Infogrames. They could have chosen another publisher, or none.
Who do you mean by "the producer"? The developer or the publisher?

And you are wrong on the Firaxis/IG relationship... It's not that Firaxians were free to choose a publisher... It's that Infogrames were free to choose a developer. IG owns the rights to the whole Civ series and IG decides whom to give the opportunity to develop future versions to.

Quote:
If I donīt like a book, do I blame the publisher? No, I blame the author.
Which is a completely nonsensical argument here. We are not speaking about whether you "like" a book or not. If you bought a book with many uncorrected typos and maybe some pages missing, would you blame the author? I hope not, since it's the publisher's part of the business to make sure there are no typos and no missing pages in the book.
Old November 22, 2002, 05:02   #153
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:21
Anyway if you look around you will not find a large number of publishers out there, so Firaxis or anyone can not just choose from a huge list. That is why some games are still looking such as Stars II, even though they have a known product.
Old November 22, 2002, 09:14   #154
BottleOfPills
Settler

Local Time: 08:21
Why do people continue to defend and accept mediocrity?

Infogram or Firaxis - it doesn't matter. The game is a shoddy peice of workmanship. PERIOD.

The analogy with contractors is correct. In my work I deal with contractors everyday - add in sub contractors and disadvantaged Businesses - and Million dollar contracts and you have one big mess.

But what it boils down to is that Firaxis is like a contractor who accepts a job. They accepted a job, they didn't finish it - any criticism they get they deserve. Don't accept a job you can't do - that's one of the first rules contractors learn.

Now if Infograms released a product that was incomplete that is their fault - did they know it was incomplete - if they did I'd say it is a form of Fraud. If they released it against Firaxis wishes - could Firaxis not have posted a warning on their website or for heaven's sake - An Apology - no, that comes almost a month later.

If you like the game and think it's worthwhile great, if you don't great, what ever blows your skirt. But don't defend these companies because they jack you up and know that they can get away with it. Maybe Ensemble Studios should buy out the Civilization franchise - at least it will be playable out of the box.

Have a good one and enjoy the holidays - maybe you can play your game by christmas.
Old November 22, 2002, 10:18   #155
zulu9812
King

I don't really blame Firaxis for all this mess - I blame Infogrames for setting an unrealistic deadline, thus hurrying the developers. However, it was up to Firaxis what to prioritise, and they prioritised the wrong things IMO
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old November 22, 2002, 10:27   #156
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BottleOfPills
Not sure if this was addressed to me, but I am defending FIRAXIS, not mediocrity. I feel it very unfair that so many people blame them for things they had no or very little control over. I believe that it is the right thing to raise my voice, so that they know not everybody thinks that (simplistic and short-sighted, I may add) way.

Quote:
Infogram or Firaxis - it doesn't matter. The game is a shoddy peice of workmanship. PERIOD.
It does matter as far as we are talking about whether it is justified to endlessly bash Firaxis for what happened.

Quote:
The analogy with contractors is correct. In my work I deal with contractors everyday - add in sub contractors and disadvantaged Businesses - and Million dollar contracts and you have one big mess.

But what it boils down to is that Firaxis is like a contractor who accepts a job. They accepted a job, they didn't finish it - any criticism they get they deserve. Don't accept a job you can't do - that's one of the first rules contractors learn.
Do you happen to know that the key game designer, Bryan Reynolds, and about half the development team left Firaxis during the development process? I find it really interesting that nobody bashes Reynolds for dumping Civ3 in favour of his own game, RoN. Do you believe that his decision did NOT have a direct, very significant impact on the Civ3 time schedule? One, that was really difficult to account for in advance?

Still, the other part of the dev team that remained loyal to Civ3 did (and keep doing) their best to deliver a fine game. What they get in return? Flames and endless bashing.

Quote:
Now if Infograms released a product that was incomplete that is their fault - did they know it was incomplete - if they did I'd say it is a form of Fraud. If they released it against Firaxis wishes - could Firaxis not have posted a warning on their website or for heaven's sake - An Apology - no, that comes almost a month later.
You bet that IG knew. And, Jesus, do I have to repeat it again? You can't officialy post a "warning" explaining that the game was released incomplete and that IG is to be blamed. Firaxis would be out of business not only with IG, but with everybody else in the industry. You do this once and you are on the blacklist.

Quote:
If you like the game and think it's worthwhile great, if you don't great, what ever blows your skirt. But don't defend these companies because they jack you up and know that they can get away with it.
I will keep defending Firaxis, since I absolutely disagree with you on that "they jack you up and know that they can get away with it". Firaxians have shown so many times they care for the players and their opinions. I just can't stand it to see how many people freely bash them without actually realizing the circumstances.

Quote:
Maybe Ensemble Studios should buy out the Civilization franchise - at least it will be playable out of the box.
This is exactly the kind of unfairness that I dislike and oppose so much. What about this: maybe Firaxis should buy out the Civilization franchise. We would still have the game that many consider (very) good, we may even have a (much) better one, with more features (even if one or two years later), and we may even have it working out-of-the-box. Since there would be no publisher pushing the preset release date. Unfortunately, the Civ franchise is owned by IG and currently nobody can do anything about it.

Quote:
Have a good one and enjoy the holidays - maybe you can play your game by christmas.
Funny, when you mention this... I can play my game right now and am enjoying it tremendously. However, to be fair, I do admit that should I be in the MP thingy, I would probably not be able to say so.
Old November 22, 2002, 10:38   #157
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
I don't really blame Firaxis for all this mess - I blame Infogrames for setting an unrealistic deadline, thus hurrying the developers. However, it was up to Firaxis what to prioritise, and they prioritised the wrong things IMO
Well, this may have been the case, correct. One year should be quite a lot of time to fix the original release and - basically - to add multiplayer (even though it's a bit unclear to me how much mess should be attributed to the GameSpy utilization, which was an IG's decision). However, we have absolutely no idea about what Firaxis has been or is working on (besides Civ3), how much funding they get from IG etc. Knowing what kind of financial troubles IG is in, it would seem prudent not to focus entirely on a title carried by an almost-sinking publisher. If I were them, I would probably have a backup plan... this is IMHO yet another reason to think twice before going the bash route.
Old November 22, 2002, 11:19   #158
woody
Warlord

Quote:
still repeating the same over and over... so, to bring the analogy even closer to the Civ3 reality... you would probably not blame the roofers should you know that your general contractor forced them to build the roof in too little time, would you?
Unlike you, I prefer to think that Firaxis is a team of professionals, not a bunch of drugged-up irresponsible baffoons that couldn't care less about their reputation.
Maybe you're the one who's right?

But as professionals, they should not accept a job that they can't complete. Nor should they approve any release until they know it is complete. And if they don't have a say over when their product is released, they never bothered to read their contract!

So, yes, I would blame a roofer that couldn't care less that he built a shoddy roof, and instead decided to shrug his shoulders and blame his mess on someone else. Or even worse, as with Firaxis, not say anything at all about his shoddy job. They're not showing themselves to be very professional.

IG is also responsible for the PtW mess (and the original Civ3 mess), but that does not alleviate Firaxis from responsibility too.

Your undying support of Firaxis is admirable, but quite misplaced. It's because of people like you that they think they can get away with crappy releases and patches again, and again, and again.

I held my breath through the whole Civ3 fiasco, but enough is enough! Firaxis clearly has not learned a thing.
Old November 22, 2002, 11:25   #159
woody
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Anyway if you look around you will not find a large number of publishers out there, so Firaxis or anyone can not just choose from a huge list. That is why some games are still looking such as Stars II, even though they have a known product.
No, Stars Supernova is another example of an incompetent developer that can't work to a schedule. They were funded by Empire to work on Supernova for years, and kept slipping. Finally, after they were 2 years late from the original release date, Empire cut funding. They have no money to continue working on the game, and no producer is willing to fund them again (rightfully so).

Oh, and if you check out the patching history of Stars!, you'll note that the developer can't write software. He always introduces as many new bugs as he fixes. Yes, he's even worse than Firaxis! (At least Firaxis finally released a pretty good patch for Civ3.)
Old November 22, 2002, 11:46   #160
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:21
Quote:
Originally posted by woody
I held my breath through the whole Civ3 fiasco, but enough is enough! Firaxis clearly has not learned a thing.
OK woody, we got your point. There's no need to tell it again and again. Some people agree with you, others not, while others agree partially.

Believe me, the Firaxians are fully aware of the damage to their reputation. They are working on the patch and I'm sure they're devoted to make PtW fully playable and enjoyable. They demonstrated it patching civ3 until it was perfect. Repeating hundreds of times the same things doesn't help anymore.

The damage has been done. Are you unhappy with Firaxis' products? Then don't buy them anymore. You and those alike are not helping; not us, nor Firaxis, nor civ3. You are just spamming the forums.

Get over it. Move on. Post something useful.
--Woody Allen
Old November 22, 2002, 13:04   #161
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 03:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius

The damage has been done. Are you unhappy with Firaxis' products? Then don't buy them anymore. You and those alike are not helping; not us, nor Firaxis, nor civ3. You are just spamming the forums.

Get over it. Move on. Post something useful.
Amen, brother Tiberius.
Old November 22, 2002, 13:53   #162
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Firaxis did do a very poor job of developing the game. And, for that, they deserve a lot of criticism.
I think it's going overboard by saying they did a poor job of developing the game. I have been in the s/w engineering field for awhile now, and I know I can't name 1 person (including myself) -- let alone 3 -- who could pump out a product like Civ 3 in that period of time (BTW, I use the number 3 because that's apparently the number of developers on the Civ3 project). Only the best, most creative s/w people are hired in the gaming industry. It's a cutthroat, feast-or-famine industry.

So I would argue that, given the criteria of the situation, they did an amazing job. Yes, the game was buggy. Yes, IFGM should have been more flexible with the release date. But could any of us do a better job? If you're truly being honest, your answer is a resounding no.
Old November 22, 2002, 14:02   #163
Traelin
Prince

Quote:

Common sense dictates that if Civ3 was such a shoddy piece of workmanship, it wouldn't have sold an a**load of copies. Common sense also dictates that if people weren't happy with their purchase, they would have mass-returned the game, much like we did for PoR2. The beautiful thing about this country is that sales/return figures don't lie. Which also leads to the point that we (at least in this country) have the ability to:

A. Purchase/not purchase a product
B. Ask for a refund if we aren't satisfied

And no, I don't care what the return policy of any company is. If you complain loudly enough and express yourself articulately, you would be able to return just about anything.
Old November 22, 2002, 14:08   #164
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Maybe Ensemble Studios should buy out the Civilization franchise - at least it will be playable out of the box.
*Sigh* another comparison to AoE. IMHO that was one of the most overblown games to ever come out. What a piece of crap. I played that thing 3-4 times over a span of two weeks, and now all it does is collect dust next to Menzoberranzan and Icewind Dale.

Sure, AoE may be "playable" out of the box (I assume your definition of playable is that it has a certain level of bug-freeness upon release). But my definition of playability includes the overall fun factor. Running out of freaking trees and stone is absolutely retarded and so ungodly unrealistic it's laughable.

EDIT: Oh, and while I'm *****ing about AoE and how god-awful it is compared to Civ3, I must mention the absolute stupidity of their farm/crop queue. IDIOTIC! If I never hear that stupid sound again (i.e., when a farm is kicked), it'll be too soon.

BTW, one of the reasons AoE was (by your definition) more playable is because MSFT is a cash-cow. IFGM and Firaxis have a lot less money to work with.

Last edited by Traelin; November 22, 2002 at 14:15.
Old November 22, 2002, 14:34   #165
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Traelin
I think it's going overboard by saying they did a poor job of developing the game. I have been in the s/w engineering field for awhile now, and I know I can't name 1 person (including myself) -- let alone 3 -- who could pump out a product like Civ 3 in that period of time (BTW, I use the number 3 because that's apparently the number of developers on the Civ3 project). Only the best, most creative s/w people are hired in the gaming industry. It's a cutthroat, feast-or-famine industry.

So I would argue that, given the criteria of the situation, they did an amazing job. Yes, the game was buggy. Yes, IFGM should have been more flexible with the release date. But could any of us do a better job? If you're truly being honest, your answer is a resounding no.
Very well said. My "undying support" of Firaxis and Civ3 may be due to the fact that I, too, am (or used to be) a programmer, and I, too, am a businessman. I have personally been involved in and even leading projects that simply didn't go the way they were supposed to, despite everybody putting tremendous effort (and skill) in. That may be why I show so much understanding for what it takes to create something like Civ3. I seriously doubt there is anyone who can honestly say "I always do a perfect job, I never miss a deadline, no matter what, and I am just plain perfect. I WOULD DO IT BETTER."

"given the criteria of the situation" - that is the key point. In the real world, one is always acting under certain circumstances, facing pressures and obstacles. I am not used to judge/dismiss people and their work just by looking at what they created. I tend to consider what they had to go through, what they faced, what they had to overcome, and how much effort they spent. IOW, I consider their "relative", rather than "absolute" achievement. If this makes me "guilty" of (indirectly) supporting shoddy releases...

And Tibi also put it right. To further respond to "the other side", I would have to be just as repetitive. I made my points. They made theirs. It's up to everybody to make his/her own opinion.
Old November 22, 2002, 14:34   #166
woody
Warlord

Quote:
Believe me, the Firaxians are fully aware of the damage to their reputation.
Would you care to back up that statement? I've seen no evidence that Firaxis has learned anything. Their words and actions seem to indicate they'll never change.

Come on! Give us at least a small indication that Firaxis has "seen the light".
Old November 22, 2002, 14:44   #167
woody
Warlord

Quote:
I think it's going overboard by saying they did a poor job of developing the game. I have been in the s/w engineering field for awhile now, and I know I can't name 1 person (including myself) -- let alone 3 -- who could pump out a product like Civ 3 in that period of time
I hate to break it to you, but setting up a reasonable development plan that includes a schedule with dates you can make, is part of the job!

Who cares if writing Civ3:PtW in a week is an amazing feat? If the end result is crap, it's crap no matter how long it took!

Quote:
You might be surprised at my answer, knowing what I do for a living, but in the end your argument is ridiculous so my answer is meaningless. Just because someone can't build a car from scratch, doesn't mean they can't recognize it's crap when it's delivered without any wheels. Just because not everyone can write a better game, doesn't mean it excuses the real developers from releasing a quality game (on the first try!).
Old November 22, 2002, 14:57   #168
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but setting up a reasonable development plan that includes a schedule with dates you can make, is part of the job!

Who cares if writing Civ3:PtW in a week is an amazing feat? If the end result is crap, it's crap no matter how long it took!
In an ideal world the developer would be solely responsible for the schedule of a project. We in the s/w industry have always said that we would like to have at least 60% of the time slated for a project to be design time. Development and maintenance time would -- in an ideal world -- be nothing compared to the design phase. But guess what? We don't live in an ideal world. Outside influences affect schedules all the time. S*** happens. Sometimes I'm stuck in traffic, and it makes me late for work. Sometimes I tweaked my perl just the wrong way, and it caused an unforeseen problem that sets us back.

Quote:
You might be surprised at my answer, knowing what I do for a living, but in the end your argument is ridiculous so my answer is meaningless. Just because someone can't build a car from scratch, doesn't mean they can't recognize it's crap when it's delivered without any wheels. Just because not everyone can write a better game, doesn't mean it excuses the real developers from releasing a quality game (on the first try!).
Actually I don't know what you do for a living. I assume it's not in the s/w engineering field though. I'm actually not making an argument, I'm stating facts. Much of what I have said in this thread (with the exception of my opinions about AoE) is indisputable. They're facts.

1. You have the choice to buy/not buy the product.
2. If you bought the product, you have the choice to return it or not.
3. You have the choice to spend more time complaining about being wronged than on returning Civ3.
4. Schedules are tentative at best, especially in the s/w industry.
5. The publisher is responsible for a lot of the problems (limited funding leading to stringent dates, etc.).
6. The ideal s/w lifecycle situation has never existed in the s/w industry and likely won't for the foreseeable future, mostly due to money concerns.
7. Only cash-cows like MSFT can have a good deal of flexibility with release dates and other constraints.

This is all indisputable. So what argument am I starting?
Old November 22, 2002, 15:19   #169
woody
Warlord

Quote:

In an ideal world the developer would be solely responsible for the schedule of a project. We in the s/w industry have always said that we would like to have at least 60% of the time slated for a project to be design time. Development and maintenance time would -- in an ideal world -- be nothing compared to the design phase. But guess what? We don't live in an ideal world. Outside influences affect schedules all the time. S*** happens. Sometimes I'm stuck in traffic, and it makes me late for work. Sometimes I tweaked my perl just the wrong way, and it caused an unforeseen problem that sets us back.
You seem to be suggesting that Firaxis is incompetent at developing a schedule. Yes, I tend to agree with you.

Quote:
Actually I don't know what you do for a living. I assume it's not in the s/w engineering field though.
Then you would be wrong.

Quote:
I'm actually not making an argument, I'm stating facts. Much of what I have said in this thread (with the exception of my opinions about AoE) is indisputable. They're facts.
You seem to confuse the word "fact" with "opinion", quite a bit!

Quote:
1. You have the choice to buy/not buy the product.
True. I have chosen not to buy PtW, based on my experience with the initial release of Civ3, and the poor reputation that Firaxis has deserved. So, what's your point? Not buying PtW hardly relinquishes my right to free speech.

Quote:
2. If you bought the product, you have the choice to return it or not.
False. Many store do not allow returns of software.

Quote:
3. You have the choice to spend more time complaining about being wronged than on returning Civ3.
Again, wrong. Returning my copy of Civ3 after owning it for more than a year would take an incredible amout of time trying to convince any store they should give me my money back.

Besides, I like Civ3 v1.29f. Why would I want to return it?

Quote:
4. Schedules are tentative at best, especially in the s/w industry.
No, schedules are what they are. Either you meet them or you don't. If you don't, you're not doing your job.

Quote:
5. The publisher is responsible for a lot of the problems (limited funding leading to stringent dates, etc.).
Then Firaxis never should have agreed to accept the contract to develop Civ3:PtW. They obviously had to know what they were getting into, based on Civ3.

Quote:
6. The ideal s/w lifecycle situation has never existed in the s/w industry and likely won't for the foreseeable future, mostly due to money concerns.
The lack of a perfect way to develop software hardly excuses a developing company for releasing crap.

Quote:
7. Only cash-cows like MSFT can have a good deal of flexibility with release dates and other constraints.
Wrong. AoE made money for Microsoft. They released a good product and made money doing it. It can be done!

Quote:
This is all indisputable.
Apparently, you think so.
Old November 22, 2002, 15:37   #170
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Come on! Give us at least a small indication that Firaxis has "seen the light".
Quote:
We certainly regret that PTW’s debut was less than what people have come to expect from Firaxis Games. I want you all to know that Firaxis is thoroughly committed to making great games and to supporting Civilization III: PTW and fixing the outstanding issues as soon as we can. We appreciate your helpful feedback and continued patience.

Jeff Briggs
President and CEO
FIRAXIS Games
--Woody Allen
Old November 22, 2002, 15:39   #171
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
You seem to be suggesting that Firaxis is incompetent at developing a schedule. Yes, I tend to agree with you.
No. I am suggesting that outside influences always, always affect schedules. If Firaxis was incompetent in their scheduling, then everyone succeeds in the same thing every day. Schedules are not etched in stone in the s/w industry. They're much, much more set in stone when you're talking about declaring earnings or paying a car loan.

Quote:
Then you would be wrong.
No offense, but I honestly don't know where you earned your CS degree from if you don't understand what I'm talking about. Software engineering classes are part of the core curriculum of any good CS program. And any good prof in said classes would explain that s/w lifecycles and scheduling work EXACTLY as I am describing them. Ask anyone on this board who has taken s/w engineering classes and they'll back me up.

Are you a code-slinger, or a code-slinger/project lead? Not that there's anything wrong with just being a code slinger, but generally they have a very microcosmic view of s/w.

Quote:
True. I have chosen not to buy PtW, based on my experience with the initial release of Civ3, and the poor reputation that Firaxis has deserved. So, what's your point? Not buying PtW hardly relinquishes my right to free speech.
Hrm, poor reputation. Those sales/return numbers don't suggest that in the least. Back up your statement with facts.

Yes, you do have free speech. But 9 out of 10 people on this board have the same freedoms when they jump up your arse for opining and the presentation of little to no facts.

Quote:
False. Many store do not allow returns of software.
As I had previously said, I don't care what the return policy is. All it takes is a bit of charm and courtesy to return virtually anything you want. If that doesn't work, it usually works to use strongarm tactics, like writing a letter to corporate. I've used both tactics.

But generally it shouldn't get this far. Someone can almost always tell within the first few hours if they like a product. If they've kept it longer than that, they are either semi-happy with the product or are too lazy to return it. Like me in the case of AoE. I was simply too lazy to return a $30 dollar game. Very sad.

Quote:
Again, wrong. Returning my copy of Civ3 after owning it for more than a year would take an incredible amout of time trying to convince any store they should give me my money back.

Besides, I like Civ3 v1.29f. Why would I want to return it?
Well then you liked the product. Why would you think Firaxis would do anything less with PTW? You're making no sense IMHO. You're ranting about an XP for a game you like?

Quote:
No, schedules are what they are. Either you meet them or you don't. If you don't, you're not doing your job.
Maybe if you're just a code junkie that's the case. Rarely is that the case with any other position in s/w engineering. And I guarantee that each Firaxian has multiple roles.

Quote:
Then Firaxis never should have agreed to accept the contract to develop Civ3:PtW. They obviously had to know what they were getting into, based on Civ3.
Well then I guess the U.S. military will never be upgraded, its security s/w will never be released, etc., because no contractor is ever on time. Things happen to set projects back. So are you still willing to say that Firaxis shouldn't have accepted the contract because they aren't omniscient? Again, illogical.

Quote:
The lack of a perfect way to develop software hardly excuses a developing company for releasing crap.
Opinion, not fact.

Quote:
Wrong. AoE made money for Microsoft. They released a good product and made money doing it. It can be done!
Duh it made money for MSFT. What's your point? Do you think Civ3 hasn't made money for IFGM?

EDIT: And now here's where my opinions enter. What crack are you smoking to think AoE is a good game? You're complaining about Civ3, but defending AoE?? ROFL too funny. AoE is a 6-year-old's amusement for approximately a month. Build walls and buildings, use up resources, refresh crop queues that should have options to automatically do so... It's a huge lesson in tedium. To me there's a certain level of "un"realism that I'll accept in a game. Running out of freaking trees and rocks ain't one of them.

Last edited by Traelin; November 22, 2002 at 15:45.
Old November 22, 2002, 15:44   #172
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Now, this I call a sound argument.

Quote:
Brilliant logic. Simply brilliant... And I have always wondered what made Microsoft so rich...

Seriously, woody, do you mean what you've posted recently? Are you sure you're not just blindfold opposing anything and everything others, not sharing your stance, say?
Old November 22, 2002, 15:51   #173
Tiberius
Emperor

[QUOTE] Originally posted by woody
Quote:
I don't recall MS having financial problems and thus pushing Ensemble Studios to release AoE faster

Quote:
Not buying PtW hardly relinquishes my right to free speech.
True. Now go to some other forums and feel free to practice your rights there. You have some nerve to bash a product you don't own. You said you like civ3. Don't you have a little respect for the people who programmed it?
--Woody Allen
Old November 22, 2002, 16:16   #174
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Why do people bash anything? If you don't like it dont use it. Mac bashers, PTW bashers gay bashers whatever.. If I had to choose something I don't like, to bash, I'd think itd be a waste of my breath. I can say though If I like something but just don't like something minor or specifically small tings admittedly i start bashing the things that I don't like about their particular thing. Its just me whining about how something in general couldnt be perfect.

Like someone else said deep under all these posts, those bashers are the ones play PTW 24/7 *****in and moaning and even wimping over how it cant be the way they want it. People who don't like PTW prolly wouldnt even come to this thread.

Anyway I know one thing, those gay bashers? yeah they are gay.
Old November 22, 2002, 17:00   #175
woody
Warlord

Quote:
"We certainly regret that PTW’s debut was less than what people have come to expect from Firaxis Games."
I asked for proof that Firaxis has learned something! Can't you see the irony in Jeff's statement? They don't even realize that crappy releases is EXACTLY what we expect from Firaxis!
Old November 24, 2002, 13:17   #176
woody
Warlord

Quote:
No. I am suggesting that outside influences always, always affect schedules. If Firaxis was incompetent in their scheduling, then everyone succeeds in the same thing every day. Schedules are not etched in stone in the s/w industry. They're much, much more set in stone when you're talking about declaring earnings or paying a car loan.
If Firaxis only screwed up the Civ3 schedule (which they did), then I could forgive them. But, they turned around and screwed up PtW in exactly the same way! PtW should have been trivial to schedule after all the experience they gained with Civ3, but they couldn't even get that right.

Quote:
No offense, but I honestly don't know where you earned your CS degree from if you don't understand what I'm talking about. Software engineering classes are part of the core curriculum of any good CS program. And any good prof in said classes would explain that s/w lifecycles and scheduling work EXACTLY as I am describing them. Ask anyone on this board who has taken s/w engineering classes and they'll back me up.
Yeah, when I was a new-grad, I was just as cocky and a big know-it-all too. Experience has taught me that there's more to real-world development than picking up a CS text book and skimming it over. If you can't understand that scheduling and project planning (which includes accurate estimates for development) is part of a project lifecyle... well, then sorry.

Quote:
Hrm, poor reputation. Those sales/return numbers don't suggest that in the least. Back up your statement with facts.
Let's wait to see how many copies PtW sells. I bet you it's way less than Civ3.

Quote:
Yes, you do have free speech. But 9 out of 10 people on this board have the same freedoms when they jump up your arse for opining and the presentation of little to no facts.
Oh, the irony!

Quote:
As I had previously said, I don't care what the return policy is. All it takes is a bit of charm and courtesy to return virtually anything you want. If that doesn't work, it usually works to use strongarm tactics, like writing a letter to corporate. I've used both tactics.
Frankly, I kind of doubt your "charm" tactic worked too well.

Quote:
Well then you liked the product. Why would you think Firaxis would do anything less with PTW? You're making no sense IMHO. You're ranting about an XP for a game you like?
You still don't get it.
Yes, I very much like the final version of Civ3, but I detest the way it took them 9 months post-release to get there. I have no desire to wait 9 months for a working game after buying PtW... I learned my lesson.

Quote:
Duh it made money for MSFT. What's your point? Do you think Civ3 hasn't made money for IFGM?
Sigh... you don't understand. AoE made money as well as delivered a solid game on the first release. It's an example that proves it's possible to properly develop and deliver a quality game. Firaxis seems to take an opposite approach.

Quote:
EDIT: And now here's where my opinions enter. What crack are you smoking to think AoE is a good game?
Oh... I see. I think I'm beginning to understand your logic a little better now.
Old November 24, 2002, 14:58   #177
WarpStorm
King

Deleted a story about how real life events screwed up a 'perfect' schedule

Last edited by WarpStorm; November 24, 2002 at 15:03.
Old November 25, 2002, 04:47   #178
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Deleted a story about how real life events screwed up a 'perfect' schedule
Yeah, I guess almost everybody would be able to post dozens of such stories. It appears that only selected individuals do not suffer from real life events, never missing their schedules.

And I guess I understand your reasons for deleting the story. I have put together a lengthy response, too, but eventually discarded the whole text. There is no need to continue the discussion here. Just a waste of time.
Old November 25, 2002, 10:07   #179
woody
Warlord

Quote:
There is no need to continue the discussion here. Just a waste of time.
And yet, you post anyway, just to get in a last word... how childish. If you don't want to continue the discussion, then simply shut up. Those of us who do wish to continue, shall happily continue discussing things without missing you. Goodbye.
Old November 25, 2002, 10:55   #180
The Pioneer
Prince

You know that a lot more should be blamed on Infogrames and on Salespeople than progremmars and Firaxis. If it would be up to the programmers they would've worked on all the code for as long as they thought they needed (probably forever ). But then it's the sales and marketing people that want to have the product on the market and they need to keep the timetable.

The numbers proved them right. They sold well over a million copies of Civ 3! Now Firaxis continued to give us as much support as they can. It's a lot of man hours one needs to invest for patches and stuff and I am pretty sure that they have enough to work on as it is. Therefore kudos to Firaxis and Sid

So long...