Old September 22, 2002, 06:35   #1
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Renegotiating peace treaties
Now that we've discovered how to renegotiate deals (see this thread), Togas has requested me to check how much each nation would be willing to give us if we renegotiate peace with them for better terms.
Foreword: AFAIK, renegotiating peace and asking for more money does not hurt your relations with the other leaders, as long as you ask for a deal that the foreign advisor says will work. I've tried this on other saves and I never made a leader angrier at me after renegotiating peace for more money.
Another thing I'd like to explain before we get to the stats is my list of priorities when checking the deals. My first priority was hard cash (lump sum), since we're at war and we need to upgrade our units and rush new ones. My second priority was gpt. Finally, I took world maps.
Now, for the stats:

Renegotiating peace treaties
Rome
Will give: 40 gold.
Greece
Will give: 6 gold (all their money) and their world map.
Aztecs
Will give: 12 gold (all their money) and their world map.
Iroquois
Will give: 3 gold (all their money) and their world map.
France
Will give: 10 gold (all their money) and their world map.
England
Will give: 19 gold (all their money) and their world map.
Russia
Will give: 27 gold (all their money), 7 gold per turn and their world map.
Babylon
Will give: 9 gold (all their money) and their world map.

Total revenues
126 gold, 7 gold per turn and world maps.
I think we need to update our budget.

Exceptions
Germany
They're currently offering us 32g + 6gpt. However, the peace treaty with Germany will only expire in two turns, so I believe we should discuss terms with them next turn (270AD) and not right now.

America
They would offer us 16g + worker (American) + WM, but since we're planning to attack America in less than 20 turns we shouldn't strike such a deal right now.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 22, 2002, 07:32   #2
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 08:23
Holy Snot!

Talk about something for nothing!

I'm going to have to look into doing this in my own games
Old September 22, 2002, 08:45   #3
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Well, it's not something for nothing.
They give us their gold and their women, and in exchange we don't beat the crap out of them. Or so we say.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 22, 2002, 09:05   #4
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:23
Wow. Great plan, Shiber .

This is one I will accept unconditionally, as long as you leave America in the exemption pile .

One question, though -- would an AI be more likely to declare war on us if they're paying us for peace? The fact that they pay us for peace now means that they're scared of us, but what about ten turns from now? Are they smart enough to go to war so that they could stop paying tribute?

Also, someone should run Russia through and see what other trades we can get out of them -- if they're able to pay 7 gpt, then we should find out if there are any other trades we can incorperate into the deal and perhaps get a bit more gold on the side (assuming they have any)

-- adaMada
Old September 22, 2002, 10:08   #5
Shiber
Emperor

War: well, if we take gpt or luxuries/resources from them then it might make them more prone to attack and get rid of the payment, but if it's a one-time payment (gold, maps or tech) then I think no.
Russia: I didn't see any other possible deals. If someone else does I'd be happy to hear about them.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 22, 2002, 10:12   #6
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:23
Fantastic, Shiber. I'm interested in all this money, of course, but all those WM without we give them our map... It's excellent!
Old September 22, 2002, 10:19   #7
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Shiber,
Can these plans wait another five turns? Has Togas seen them and added them to his orders? Did he say what he wanted you to do with the plan he asked you to draw up? I just found out he won't be there for the turnchat, so...

-- adaMada
Old September 22, 2002, 10:34   #8
Shiber
Emperor

Yes, he clearly said that he wants me to write this down. I PM'ed it to him as well but he hasn't replied yet.
In any case, we can't wait five turns. Now that Persia has iron and at least one pikeman (and probably immortals soon) we need to blitz through their mainland fast, and for that we need knights.
IIRC, he asked me to make this plan after I gave him two examples of what we can get if we renegotiate peace treaties (I gave him Rome and Russia's numbers). He said excellent, draw up a complete list of what we can get, so I don't think he'd mind.
In any case we should still get the approval of all the deputy ministers of the foreign ministry (we have yours already) as well as maybe run a quickpoll in the chat today.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 22, 2002, 10:51   #9
adaMada
King

. I think Togas would probably approve of the deal itself, but I'm not really sure if anyone but him has the authority to write it into his orders.

I'm the Vice-Minister, and when he's not here I write the orders, but I don't know if that means anything in a case like this. The wording of my job title in the office thread would imply that it does, but I'm not sure that that's intended to give me that power.

Togas' orders also have a standing clause that, if a minor emergency comes up in a turnchat, allows OPD/a ministry official to decide on the issue. Again, nothing specific about this sort of situation.

To be perfectly honest, I'm do believe that Togas would approve of this deal, but he's not here to remove the little bit of doubt, and I don't want to overstep our authority. OPD, any judges who are hanging around, anyone else who may know -- do you have an opinion? I'll e-mail Togas and ask him to quickly look at this issue if he can in the (minor) chance that he checks his e-mail before the chat.

-- adaMada
Old September 22, 2002, 11:07   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:23
I doubt Togas or anyone would have an issue with renegotiating peace with any civ we have no borders with. Unless we are planning to finish the Persians somwhow in only 20 turns and immediately war with someone else, I think all of these should be fine. Speaking as just a citizen here, but Germany would be a great one to renegotiate - we need to make sure there is stll something stopping them from attacking (the rep hit), and it couldn't hurt for Greece also.

In brief, I would be surprised if any of these were seen as contentious at the least. It is the case of gold and (maybe) WMs for the opportunity cost ONLY of attacking someone else in the next 20 - not a likely scenario at all.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 22, 2002, 11:07   #11
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:23
I would like to keep France & Babylon out of the Renegotiating of Pease for a bit. If we use this in combination for trading techs with them when either get Theology. If we use that in combination with trading them Chivalry, we should get them to give us Theology.

THat's my reasoning for that.

As for them declairing war on us, the time limit on peace would have them breaking a treaty against someone. Does anyone know how the different Civ A.I.'s look at each other in their inter relationships?

I do know that if someone declares war on us while we are in a Republic Government, we first get 5 turns of increased happyness, then 5 turns status quo, then we start to get war weariness in 5 turns increments (at least in 1.29f). So we actually get ten turns of grace if someone declares on us.

E_T
Old September 22, 2002, 11:11   #12
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:23
Oh, man, what a situation... We have an excellent plan needing the approval of the FAM.
Wait a minute... Ada, you are the Vice-Minister. In case of Togas's absence, you are the FAM. IMHO, you can do it, because you actually have the power. It’s a big responsibility, I know, but you are in charge, you have the experience and knowledge necessary. And the guts, too
Old September 22, 2002, 11:22   #13
adaMada
King

Aro,
I'm debating that now. I wish a Judge were here :-\.

The wording of my job is that I'm the FAM if Togas isn't present, but I'm not sure if 'isn't present' includes times when he's not away, but not on 'poly (power hasn't been explicitly turned over to me). OPD also has the power to make minor decisions to deal with events in the turnchat. I think this means we can do it, but I'm honestly not all that sure...

Two other notes:
I've just been informed that someone else ran these tests, and could get more cash out of the AI than the amount that Shiber posted above. Don't ask why there appears to be a numerical difference in this case (I'm honestly not sure -- different versions of the patch, possibly?), but I'd ask that (if we do this plan) the President check the values on his computer and go with the highest.

Shiber, do you have any comments to what E_T said? It's a temporary net loss of twenty gold, and I think he might be right about making a better deal using this later, so I'd be inclined to accept his modifications.

-- adaMada

Last edited by adaMada; September 22, 2002 at 11:29.
Old September 22, 2002, 13:48   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
Aro,
I'm debating that now. I wish a Judge were here :-\.

The wording of my job is that I'm the FAM if Togas isn't present, but I'm not sure if 'isn't present' includes times when he's not away, but not on 'poly (power hasn't been explicitly turned over to me). OPD also has the power to make minor decisions to deal with events in the turnchat. I think this means we can do it, but I'm honestly not all that sure...

Two other notes:
I've just been informed that someone else ran these tests, and could get more cash out of the AI than the amount that Shiber posted above. Don't ask why there appears to be a numerical difference in this case (I'm honestly not sure -- different versions of the patch, possibly?), but I'd ask that (if we do this plan) the President check the values on his computer and go with the highest.

Shiber, do you have any comments to what E_T said? It's a temporary net loss of twenty gold, and I think he might be right about making a better deal using this later, so I'd be inclined to accept his modifications.

-- adaMada
hi ,

hmmm, you might have a point , ....

have a nice day