Old September 22, 2002, 17:00   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Heroes III Scenario
Hi

Andemage, are you still interested in playtesting my first scenario I just purchased the game yesterday and have nearly finished my first scenario... The only thing that remains to be done is to transfer 4 pages of handwritten text (story) onto the computer screen... If you want to wait (2 or 3 days) until I have the entire text written, please wait... because I hope that the story will give it a better feeling than it has without

For playtesting notes: Story events currently will go up to day 68... But all I have written IN the story are up to Day 8. (Which is over 2 pages BTW )

Oh well, thank you if you want to playtest it

And good luck
Here's the INTRO text file:
Attached Files:
File Type: txt nc.txt (734 Bytes, 3 views)
Old September 22, 2002, 17:09   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Here's Version 0.9 of the scenario
Or at least it would be if I could find WinZip in WinXP

Perhaps someone knows where it is... could you please tell me where it is. Apolyton won't let me attach scen files unless they are zipped.
Old September 22, 2002, 18:07   #3
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 10:24
mail it to one of the homm3 download sites, there are some of them fr omwhich you can download maps and scenarios etc, then just give us the link other people can use it too then..

btw i'm alway interested in a good homm3 map!!

i can advise angelic pride (and in a lesser degree titanic pride), these 2 maps i still remember very well so they must be worth it!!! (from the 400 maps i downloaded )
Old September 22, 2002, 20:36   #4
DarkCloud
staff

Thanks! I'll try that when I get the final version-

I think I created a work-around.

Download it from my website: here

EDIT: Nevermind... Apolyton won't link to a file it seems... I'll try to post it on a webpage when I have time. as it is I spent 15 minutes trying to link to a file

oh well

Thanks for the interest
Old September 23, 2002, 09:41   #5
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 09:24
The Homm3 map I enjoyed the most was Lord Of War.

An struggle of Epic proportions, to say the least. Other excellent maps are The Pen and the Sword and anything by Timothy Duncan.
Old September 23, 2002, 12:05   #6
DarkCloud
staff

Just wondering- where can I find those?
Any particular sites?

--
BTW- I should have the scen files on my website later tonight- I'll add some text events to the game when I get home.
Old September 23, 2002, 13:22   #7
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

www.astralwizard.com

All H3 maps you'll ever need, and then some. If you're doing maps yourself, take a long, hard look at the maps that got top ratings.
Old September 23, 2002, 21:58   #8
DarkCloud
staff

Okay- here I now have finally figured out how to zip the file -
here's the text and the game...

I'll search for those other games on astral wizard

Currently I'm playing "scrowe"'s Hail to the King map and am stuck since I seem to need the spell Summon Boat or to find a boat and yet seem short both the spell and a boat... If I hack the map will It change the game that was saved? Or will I merely have to restart the game If I hack the map?

Good luck with my map!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip noveno.zip (25.3 KB, 3 views)
Old September 24, 2002, 21:17   #9
DarkCloud
staff

Ah yes, that file is the FULL file with the FULL story, by the way

So good luck with playtesting it!

-
Sadly I can't find Titantic Pride or Lord of War or the Pen and the Sword

I'm trying Duncan's map on Sander's Folly right now...
Old September 29, 2002, 16:59   #10
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

ok, I'll give it a go.
Old September 29, 2002, 19:06   #11
DarkCloud
staff

Thanks!
Old September 30, 2002, 05:18   #12
moomin
King

I don't have much time to play these days, so I like to stick with the goodies. You said you bought the game the day before you made this, is that so, DC? I'm a wee bit sceptical about your ability to turn out a classy, well-balanced map under those circumstances...
Old September 30, 2002, 12:08   #13
DarkCloud
staff

...If it will make you feel any better- I have played 3 of the Heroes Chronicles games all the way through twice... so I do have some experience with game mechanics

Actually, I think it's fairly well balanced, but I'll cut the number of archers down by half and the number of pikemen you receive at the beginning... then it should be a bit more challenging...

Note: It took me 60 days to win the game at Hard difficulty

The basic overview of the game is that at the beginning you are always short of Ore... Just a hint

You play against 2 enemies.

You start with 1 city
The Yellow enemy has 2 cities
There are 2 neutral cities.
The blue enemy has 4 cities !

I would rate it as fairly hard... fairly interesting.

The story would rate with Adv. Gnoll, I would think at least, I hope it does

As for the challenge... I'm not an expert- but by judging from my statements, perhaps yo ucan decide- but if you cut the archers and pikemen in half, the game will be VERY challenging at least at the beginning.

There are ambushes everywhere in the game, but you are warned beforehand
Old September 30, 2002, 12:28   #14
moomin
King

Perhaps I'll give it a spinn then.
Old September 30, 2002, 12:44   #15
DarkCloud
staff

Thanks
-
Around GMT 00:00 I might post a revised version that cuts the # of archers and pikemen in half at the beginning... and revises some mispellings

But I might wait until Andemagne's review to make a more comprehensive revision... It depends on what you want

Thanks for the interest!

-
I am currently working on a different type of scenario... one with quest guards, etc. and will try to learn from any possible mistakes in this one to make it much better!

Good luck!

-
Final Note: I rate my scenario a C+ if you are REALLY good at the game, but a B if you are AVERAGE at the game If you're agressive you'll have more fun than if you are conservative and wait out the game... because only one of the enemies will continuously attack you
Old September 30, 2002, 22:21   #16
DarkCloud
staff

Okay, here's the interim fix to fix the mispellings and make it a bit harder
Attached Files:
File Type: zip noveno.zip (25.4 KB, 0 views)
Old October 13, 2002, 18:25   #17
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

first of all: sorry for it took so long, but I've been busy with RL.

second: I could not get the scenario to work. I tried everything, patching, reinstalling, ..... but no.
then 5 minutes before I locked to Apolyton, I noticed that that short text file that came with the scenario said that its a "Heroes3 Complete" type of scenario. and I only have H3 original and armageddons blade. could this be the problem? (IIRC H3 scenario editor asks what kind of scenario would you like to make: original, AB or SOD?)

thats the situation right now.
Old October 14, 2002, 12:11   #18
DarkCloud
staff

When I return home; I'll see if I can save it as an AB scenario... scale it down from SOD.
Old October 16, 2002, 16:22   #19
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

i only have homm3 without expansion packs
Old October 16, 2002, 17:14   #20
DarkCloud
staff

Sadly I cannot downgrade the version
Which is stupid since I incorporated nothing into it that would not work with Armageddon's Blade! But since it was my 1st map, i wanted to make certain that I could use all the features- not knowing that I could upgrade things, but not downgrade

In future maps, I'll see if I can make the AB compatiable- if you had told me sooner- I'd have been able to fix it for my second map- but sadly, my second is done and 50% tested

Thank you for your interest however-

----
also, just asking- in Scrowe's hail to the king- I'm stuck at a point- I can't cross the water after exiting in the desert- does anyone know how I can cross the water?
Old October 19, 2002, 16:05   #21
Andemagne
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Thank you for your interest however
jep. maybe next time.

Quote:
in Scrowe's hail to the king
?
Old October 20, 2002, 13:56   #22
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

I suppose he means a certain map...
Old October 21, 2002, 12:10   #23
DarkCloud
staff

Yes... I was referring to a specific map... jsut wondering if anyone had played it and could help me?